Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobias_Mache1
Participant

Why Digital Discovery Assessment?

Deciding on the right operating model for SAP S/4HANA is one of the hardest decisions companies currently have to make.

Do I stay on-premise, move to Private Cloud Edition, or go to a highly standardized Public Cloud Edition?

Many customers find it particularly difficult to decide between the public and private cloud editions. The criteria in the choice are diverse and highly interrelated.

Some of the criteria to consider when making a choice are, for example, extensibility, cost, infrastructure and, above all, the range of functions.

In order to cleanly analyze the functional scope - especially when comparing public and private cloud editions - SAP provides the Digital Discovery Assessment Tool (DDA).

With the help of this tool, companies can work together with a partner to take an in-depth look at the topics of scope, the integration of applications and the localization of scope items.
The DDA follows 4 simple steps to simplify the analysis.

The 4 steps of the Digital Discovery Assessment

The starting point of the "Supply Chain of Selling" begins with the entry of some customer-specific information (such as industry or similar). In this first overview, the further course of the assessment is later secured and displayed. Here, companies can find all aspects of the assessment in one central location.

STEP 1: Selection of IT solutions

As soon as the company's central information is stored in the tool, the participants can begin with the assessment. In a first step, they select the required solutions they want to look at.

The standard products shown in Figure 2 can easily be considered in the scoping process. However, additional IT products - especially from third-party providers - can also be entered.
This provides a good overview of the company's possible target architecture at the start.

STEP 2: Preselection packages

Since far more than 650 scope items are available for the Public Cloud Edition, SAP provides corresponding preselection packages for selecting the scope items.

A distinction is made here between 4 different areas. These areas are:

1. Baseline

The Baseline package contains important end-to-end processes for companies, especially for the areas of finance, sales and procurement. For example, SAP already delivers the end-to-end processes "Invoice to Cash", "Order to Fulfill", "Record to Report" and "Procure to Receipt" with this package.

2. Finance Led ERP

The Finance Led ERP package includes the most important standard processes for enterprise financial management - preconfigured best practices that help companies run an administrative SAP S/4HANA system. It also includes some procurement and sales functions.

3. Service Centric ERP

With the third Preselection Package, SAP puts a focus on service. The package thus includes central SAP best practices for financial management and thus for the operation of an administrative ERP system, but also, above all, project-, service- and some industry-related functions.

4. Product Centric ERP

The product-centric package - also called Produce and Sell Standard Products (PSSP) - offers a very product-oriented selection of SAP Best Practices. This solution contains all the key functions for manufacturing companies and the sale of produced goods from stock.

Depending on which of these four areas best suits the customer's needs and specific requirements, a large number of scope items are pre-selected by activating the package.
It is important to note here that companies can also select multiple packages.

If none of the packages fit the company's specific needs, this step can also be skipped.

STEP 3: Localization and Availability of Best Practices

In principle, SAP Best Practices in SAP S/4HANA Public Cloud Edition are available in 43 country versions. It is important to note that this does not apply to all Best Practices, however, and that some Best Practices are not available in some countries.

To take this into account in the analysis, companies can link the respective entities of the company to the countries in the DDA.

Once this is done, a list is obtained with the information on which of the selected scope items is available in which country.

STEP 4: Scope Definition

In the next step, companies select the actual scope items of the respective Line of Business (LoB) of SAP S/4HANA.

To do this, they can choose from 16 different LoBs and simply select the relevant scope items in each case to add them to your scope.

For each scope item there is a short information, a direct jump to the Best Practice Explorer and the possibility to directly select a priority and a phase (for the planning of the later implementation project).

It is also possible to make specific notes on the scope items.

Additional requirements

After you have selected and assigned the required scope items, you can deal with additional requirements.

A key task is to identify and note prioritized gaps at this early stage of decision making. This is because the gaps identified in this phase can have a massive influence on which deployment model is subsequently selected.

For example, each additional requirement can already be a reason for ultimately opting for the SAP S/4HANA Private Cloud Edition - and not the standardized public cloud.

Detailed qualification processes

The final step in the Digital Discovery Assessment to decide between the public cloud and the private cloud edition is the detailed qualification of the processes.

It is performed based on various questions about the marked scope items.

Each question once again contains dedicated information indicating why this question is relevant for the decision.

Once the company has answered all the questions, it can submit the DDA to SAP. There, the entire assessment is reviewed.

Based on the findings of the Digital Discovery Assessment, SAP makes a recommendation regarding the deployment model.

Final report

Regardless of SAP's recommendation, the company can look at its Final Report in the DDA and check its content, having previously gone through all the steps mentioned above.

In the Final Report, the parties involved can now once again find all relevant solutions, scope items, packages and the questions and answers that were asked about the scope items.

The decision - Private Cloud Edition vs. Public Cloud Edition In the end, based on the information gathered and checked in the DDA, a well-founded decision can be made regarding the central criterion of "scope of services" as to which deployment option is the right one for the company.

I hope you enjoyed the blog post and I was able to give you some interesting insights on the Digital Discovery Assessment.

If you have any questions about the DDA, please feel free to contact me.
19 Comments
singern
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Great blog post on DA assessment, thank you, Tobias!
Tobias_Mache1
Participant
Thank you singern 🙂
DileepGold
Explorer
0 Kudos

tobiasmache83 can you share me this document to <email removed by moderator>  ---- Thank you very much

Tobias_Mache1
Participant
0 Kudos
What document do you mean exactly?
DileepGold
Explorer
0 Kudos
tobiasmache83  I was asking the document which explains the difference between Public cloud and Private cloud- Hope you got know now. Please share to me --- Thanks-- Dileep
Tobias_Mache1
Participant
0 Kudos
Sorry but there is no "One Document" with the differences because you should adress a lot of different areas to make this decision.

But you can find a lot of useful blogs here where people make a great explanation.
jvpski
Discoverer
Tobias,

Does this solution help to decide if RISE Public or Private Edition makes more sense for RISE?
Tobias_Mache1
Participant
0 Kudos
Yes of course.

The Tool gives you a great guidance to choose between Public and Private Cloud Edition.

KR Tobias
Fred-Cpro
Explorer
Thanks for the great post.
Maybe I would explain the Quick Qualification at the beginning. Without this, you cannot create a DDA.
This information could be interesting for many people.

Tobias_Mache1
Participant
Hi Frederic,

thank you for your addition - you are absolutely right. You can not go the DDA without the Quick Qualification.

And for me also very important ist the fact, that the results of the Quick Qualification changes the way of the DDA.

Public Cloud = Scope Items

Private Cloud = Capabilities

KR

Tobias
WouterVdBr
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Tobias for this blog.

What determines whether the Supply Chain of Selling app is visible or not and where can this be maintained?

Kind regards,

Wouter Van den Branden
Tobias_Mache1
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Wouter,

there is no possibility to maintain which apps you can see.

You have to always start with the Quick Qualification in the Supply Chain of selling app.

This step is mandatory.

I hike this answer your question.
WouterVdBr
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean only the person creating a new opportunity starts with the Quick Qualification?

We are working with multiple colleagues on the same DDA and all have access to the DDA itself but only 1 colleague also sees the Supply Chain of Selling app. I can access the DDA but have never had to do the Quick Qualification and am also not able to create new opportunities/assessments. So it seems like it is somehow linked to S-user rights or other authorizations.

Kr,

Wouter
Fred-Cpro
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Tobias,

I am dealing more and more intensively with the DDA.

Under "Add-On Info" I get information about the respective material number and the required licenses.

This information is extremely helpful.

What I am still missing is the material number for the Integration Suite. In one case, my customer needs the standard version of the Integration Suite.

Is the material number displayed in the DDA or does it have to be requested manually?

KR

Frederic

WouterVdBr
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Tobias,

In the meantime I've been able to get to the bottom of the issue so I thought I would share the explanation/solution with the community:

"This has to do with the partner role. If you get invited to an assessment and register that way there is no way for us to differentiate between partners and customers, hence everyone receives the “basic” role to just see the assessments they got invited to.

If a partner registers without being invited, they end up in a manual approval queue which is processed by our partner team. Once approved those users will directly have access to the supply chain of selling tool."

So in my case the issue was resolved by contacting digitaldiscovery@sap.com
JanRenc
Newcomer
0 Kudos
Hi Tobias,

DDA looks very good for scoping the project and checking availability of scope items in localized versions. Do You know about any possibility to export "Localization matrix"?

It is difficult to work just with "picture".....

KR, Jan
PAscalMartin
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Tobias,

Thanks for this blog.

As a presales, the DDA belongs to my daily business ! Every opportunity is managed through the DDA.

Since a couple of months, we can see a new tab in the ooportunity detail area called "effort estimation".

Where can we find more information about the numbers provided ? Are there abacus per scope items or category ?

Have you more information ?

Many thanks for help
Suma_cg2022
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the detailed blog on DDA. As per the latest Partner Webinar on the Cloud ERP topic by SAP, held on Feb 6th, understand that now SI partners can as well execute DDA. SAP will grant access to it. In this context, if we are estimating for the DDA from SI side, do we need partial coverage for each functional areas - Finance, Sales & Procurement , Manufacturing etc (as per scope of customer ) to be part of this DDA ? Typically what is the timeline for this DDA - 3-4 weeks ?

Appreciate if you can help and answer these questions .

Regards,

Suma

FelixG
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias

where can i find some example of DDA's final report ?  in order to known sections and parts of the document

thanks 

Labels in this area