Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member

I recently recreated what is considered one of the 5 most influential visualisations of all time using SAP Lumira, The Causes of Mortality in the Army in the East by Florence Nightingale <<http://scn.sap.com/community/lumira/blog/2014/06/05/reworking-florence-nightingales-diagram-of-the-c...>>.

To continue this theme I was inspired to try out another one of the top 5 that requires visualising data at a street level based on Longitude and Latitude coordinates. SAP Lumira has allowed plotting data on basic map outlines using Longitude and Latitude coordinates for some time but not on at street level like we are used to using in say Google Maps. 

However, in the most recent version of SAP Lumira 1.17 this has changed as SAP has announced a partnership with ESRI the enables integration of their AecGIS online service within SAP Lumira.

Press Release: SAP and Esri Team Up for Geo-Spatial Analytic Innovations at #EsriUC with SAP Lumira and ArcGIS - See more at: http://blogs.sap.com/analytics/2014/07/15/sap-and-esri-team-up-for-geo-spatial-analytic-innovations-...

Another one of the Top 5 most influential visualisations of all time:

John Snows Map of the 1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak.

Just to get things straight from the outset, I am talking about John Snow the Physician not John Snow from House Stark in the Game of Thrones

John Snow’s original Cholera Map

On the 8th September 1854, on the instruction of Dr John Snow, the handle to the water pump on Broad Street (now Broadwick Street) in Soho London was removed. Snow identified that the water from this pump was the source of an outbreak of cholera that ravaged Soho, killing over 500 over the previous weeks.

Snow's work was ground breaking for its use of data visualisation where he plotted the locations of all the deaths in the cholera epidemic on a map and identified that they clustered around water pumps and particularly around the pump in Broad Street.  More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow_(physician)

Recreation using SAP Lumira and ESRI ArGIS

How To

After a bit of searching I found a dataset that gave the Longitude/Latitude reference of each house surveyed by Snow along with the count of deceased by Cholera. Additionally, there was a similar data file giving the points of each water pump in the locality.

I thought the challenge in this endeavour would be integrating SAP Lumira with ESRI, this was in fact the easiest part.  All that is needed was to sign up for trial access of ESRI ArcGIS and enter the resulting credentials in the SAP Lumira Preferences pane. (Links below)

However, I must admit to doing a fair amount of manipulation in Microsoft Excel to get the combined Longitude/Latitude field into two separate data columns that Lumira will acquire formatted as a Number. SAP Lumira could have split out the combined field into two easily but when creating a geographical hierarchy based on Longitude/Latitude these fields need to be a number data type and sadly the inbuilt convert function had issues.

Step 1

Acquire the dataset into Lumira and create a geographic hierarchy on the location name using the Longitude/Latitude.

Step 2

Sign up for a free 30 day trail of ESRI ArGIS using the link in the Lumira preferences panel and enter the resulting user credentials

Step 3

Build a visualisation in the using the new  Geographic map.

Step 4

Configure the Layer. Note “Count” is used twice, in SIZE sect the measure, in COLOR use the dimension

The finished article:

In closing

Be aware there is no Lumira cloud integration for ESRI mapping at this time.  Also, I’m not an ESRI customer so I am unaware of ESRI licensing costs to use ArcGIS.

And one more thing..

If you visit London why not be a data visualisation tourist and visit the John Snow Pub on Broadwick Street and see the water pump

LINKS:

• Raw Data File attached.

23 Comments
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice job - thank you for sharing the raw data too.  I don't watch Game of Thrones but I did get a laugh out of the John Snow picture.

I haven't had a chance to try Esri yet with Lumira but I am looking forward to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Great Blog and very interesting insights. Please note, ESRI integration with Lumira Cloud already exists.

Regards,

Avni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many Thanks for the information

Former Member
0 Kudos

Got around to testing this today and I get the following:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the article. Were there any other steps you had to perform before accessing the ESRI data with your trial account? As soon as I click on the ESRI geo map I get a blank screen - no option to add layers. Lumira built-in geo maps work fine with my dataset, and I've tested the login credentials directly with the ESRI website. Using Lumira 1.18.

Regards,

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glenn,

When you registered for your trial ESRI account, did you create a map in the web environment of ESRI. You need to create a map there before that map is displayed in Lumira I believe.

With kind regards,

Martijn van Foeken

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Glenn, hi Martijn,

If I am not mistaken, as soon as the ESRI trial account is created, things should work. Only if the end-user wants to add layers, then things should be done on the ESRI side.

@Glenn, could the error be related to your network settings? Are you connected via a proxy?

Thanks

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glenn,

I didn't have to do anything specific after entering my ESRI log on credentials into Lumira.  Just a reboot and all worked for me.

Sorry

former_member184471
Active Participant
0 Kudos

just a small comment to ESRI and Lumira Cloud. The integration is only available for the paid Lumira Cloud license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Antoine,

Thanks - it was related to the network settings. Our proxy must have been blocking ESRI - once I turned it off it worked fine.

Cheers,

Glenn

former_member60760
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Andrew,

Wonderful article but could you share either the dataset after you manipulated it or the final document for Lumira please?

Regards,

Alun

Former Member
LauraJamieson
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

What a great article. It was very fun to read, and I am really impressed with your visualization!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Laura

dallas_marks
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This is outstanding visualization, Andrew. I just borrowed The Ghost Map (ISBN 1594482691), Stephen Johnson's account of John Snow's cholera breakthrough, from the public library and can't wait to start reading it. I've recently worked with a children's hospital that is keen to visualize patient data using geolocation.

0 Kudos

Andrew,

Very interesting post and history lesson!  I took the .csv file attached and did some manipulation myself.  I put the file in 1.22 and used ESRI map integration to visualize the result.  A few things I did differently that were inspired by your initial approach:  I identified which 'count' entries aligned to the pumps in Dr. Snow's original visualization and created a new attribute called "point type." This attribute has two values, "pump" and "death."  I then visualized the data using "count" measure as size and "point type" attribute as color.  Here is a zoomed in clipping using Gray style mapping.  At a certain point the map disappears and reveals a more geometrically driven array that explains the relationship of deaths to a specific pump.

Here is the same viz using Topo mapping.

Just wanted to put a new spin on this great historical case study!

Best,

Ike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fantastic Ike.     I like your idea of making the pump's more visible in the visualisation.

Well Done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello- great post on what is considered to be one of the first applications of GIS 🙂  I am a GIS professional and am rather new to SAP Lumira.  We would like to add the Esri base maps (Topo / Satellite / Street / etc.) to Lumira and other organizational GIS data layerswe have added to our Organizational ArcGIS Online account.  From what I understand, Lumira only supports point data at the current version (?).  I have a problem I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with.  I entered my ArcGIS Online (AGO or AGOL) credentials and proceeded to add an Excel spreadsheet as some test data to Lumira.  I tried to enable the "Geo Map" within Lumira, and I just get a blank Visualize area - no option to add Measures or Dimensions?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brent Kastor, GISP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

Yep I agree your screenshot doesn't look right.  You would normally have areas to add Dims & Measures below the chart picker.

What version of Lumira are your using ?  1.22 ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using Version 1.19.0 Build 1099.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Current version is 1.25.1 build 23.  I suggest you upgrade and try with the newer version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is another SAP user with the same version / build and he is able to see the Esri maps?  So, that is presenting us with a big question mark?  Any ideas would be great!  Thanks!

DeanFarrow
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

excellent blog - love the integration with ESRI

Labels in this area