Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pascaltopolewski
Explorer
Dear SAP Community,

we have rolled out Analysis for Office 2.8 SP6 to a wider group of users. While doing that we gained some experience on the behavior and issues that occured while rolling out this new version. I have collected all issues and the resolution steps in order to help you in case you are facing similar issues. One important remark: I can not judge whether there are any dependencies on other Excel Add-ins or applications that you are using.

General:

Do I need to uninstall my current Analysis for Office?

It is not required to uninstall your current version of AfO but we have observed that some users where facing issues after directly upgrading with uninstalling the current AfO instance. My suggestion would be to install the latest version first and see if everything is working as excpected. 

Do I have to do anything after the Update?

Please clear your AfO Cache after the updating by going the following path: Open AfOFileCustomize AnalysisOptionsPlatformClear Cache. Note: there won't be any message coming up after pressing the button. Clearing the cache can resolve the following issues: numbers are displayed incorrectly, functions are not getting executed or the the formatting is disrupted. You may also deactivate the workbook caching. 

Specific error messages: 

I am getting a message saying "Unsecure connection". What do I have to do?

Don't worry, in case your connections have been secure before and if the connections did not change, then this will not be a security problem. If you do not want to receive this message any more you can turn it off by doing the following: open Analysis for OfficeFileAnalysisCustomize AnalysisTechnical Configuration → change the setting AllowInsecureConnections to „yes“. 

I am getting a message saying "Couldn't establish a secure connection". What do I have to do?

This message comes up when you try to open a file from a local drive which has been saved with an older version of Analysis for Office and the name of the system connection has changed. In order to resolve this you have to open the local file and manually establish a connection by going to Insert Data Source Define → Select source for Analysis → And then connect to your preferred system. After that you can open and refresh the workbook and then you have to update the settings by going to Analysis for OfficeFileAnalysisCustomize AnalysisTechnical Configuration → Tick the box for ForceRefreshConnection and save the workbook. After that you should be able to open the local file without any problems.

Edit: This message will occur for different reasons. You can turn this off by starting AfO as an Administrator (Right click on the application icon and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu). Go to Analysis for OfficeFileAnalysisCustomize AnalysisTechnical Configuration → Untick the box for EnableWarningForFailedSnc. After restarting AfO the message should not show up anymore.

I am getting a message saying "An error occurred while trying to apply the default User Interface Customization profile". What do I have to do?

1. uninstall AfO 2.8

2. remove manually the outdated EPMAddin folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Office AddIn\Plugins\EPMAddin

3. reinstall AfO 2.8

I am getting a message saying: "Error details: Could not load file or assembly 'FPMXLClient.Common, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannof find the file specified."

If you haven't upgraded yet to AfO 2.8, please uninstall all previous versions of Analysis for Office. By doing this you can avoid above error message. In addition you should also manually remove the outdated EPM Addin folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Office AddIn\Plugins\EPMAddin. Keep in mind that this might remove your Favorites from the SAP Logon Pad and you might want to save them before.

If you are already getting this error message, please uninstall all previous version of Analysis for Office and check if the issue got resolved. If the error message remains, please also re-install AfO 2.8 SP6. After that the issue should be resolved. 

After the upgrade AfO is glitching. Eg when using the scrollbar the dropdown menus are randomly opening. What can I do?

This is issue is mainly occuring when using a secondary monitor. When AfO is opened on the primary monitor there should not be any issue. Please check the following settings.

I am getting a message saying: "The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)"

As per SAP Note 2876424 we can try the following:

1. Uninstall Analysis for Office

2. Afterwards check if the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Office AddIn" is empty

3. Then remove the node "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SapExcelAddIn" via registry settings (i.e. regedit)

4. Reinstall AO and check if the issue is solved.

I am getting a message saying: "Downloading file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Office AddIn/SapExcelAddIn.vsto did not succeed"

Please check if the SapExcelAddin.vsto file is available under C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Office AddIn/. If the folder is empty, it might be an indicator that the installation did not work properly. In this case we would advise you to check this with your local IT Team as there might be an issue with your machine or there might be some dependency with older installations of AfO.

Summary:

As you can see in the above list, there were a couple of issues that we were facing when distributing the latest AfO Version to our user community. We were either able to resolve these issues on our own or by reaching out the SAP Support. So i hope that this list will help you in case you are facing similar issues from your end. Please feel free to add any further issues that you are facing or any other tips that would be helpful for the SAP Community.

Best regards
Pascal

7 Comments
nachtaktiv
Participant
I can confirm all of the problems and your solutions 😉

Thanks !
jananipriya
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Pascal

I have installed Analysis for office 2.8 SP5. When I try to open an Analysis Excel Launchfile for 1st time (after installation) it opens but from the next time onwards I'm unable to open the files i.e when we click(open) on the file, it loads for 2sec then no file opens.

Please give any suggestions to resolve this issue.

I have attached the file type I'm trying to open below.

Thanks in advance

Jananipriya
pascaltopolewski
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jananipriya,

are you able to open the Analysis Ribbon from your standard excel? (see screenshot) I would suggest to open excel or Analysis for Office instead of the launch file from the installation folder.

Best regards

Pascal

jananipriya
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Pascal

I'm able to open Analysis ribbon but I wish to open my .sapaox file directly instead of opening excel throught BiOfficeLauncher but its not opening that's my issue.

Thank you

Jananipriya
ramsthota
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello @Pascal,

I've installed AfO 2.8 SPS12 for the first time (Installer name reads as "AOFFICESAC28SP12_0-70004971").

When I'm trying to "Insert Data Source" from Analysis ribbon, it's redirecting me to connect to SAC but I want to connect to my BW & HANA systems from AfO.

So kindly suggest me how can I connect to BW & HANA systems without asking for SAC connection.

Thank you,
Anil
pascaltopolewski
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Jovan,

we have not yet updated to SP12 so i can not really say much on this. Did you try pressing the little arrow on the bottom left of the "Insert Data Source Icon"? Maybe in there you will have a dedicated option for BW systems.

Best regards

Pascal
MarnaParodi
Participant
0 Kudos
hello Pascal,

I'm aware this thread is rather old, but I've just encountered this issue affecting display, I hope you can help me finding a fix.

Some areas in my interface are only partially visible. Luckily this is not occurring on the sheet area or the main area of the design panel, but it nevertheless impair several capabilities:

• tabs at the bottom of  Design Panel are "cropped"/"misaligned"

• search field in Select Data Source is "cropped"/"misaligned"

Please see attached images and following technical data:

Windows 11

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20172) 64-bit

Analysis for Office 2.8.600.95340

Thanks for your attention and best regards,

Marna

Analysis for Office cropped tabs

Analysis for Office cropped search box

Labels in this area