Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member1321
Participant
Hi All,

I am a newbie to SAP-HANA world and was recently exploring different types of CDS Views (particularly CDS Views with Input Parameters).

Though CDS Views with Input Parameters were introduced quite a long time back but I could not find a way to make some of the input parameters as Optional. So I played around with some annotations and found out a way to accomplish the same.

I did that with the help of annotation
@Environment.systemField: #USER

I used the above annotation in my CDS View along with parameters in the following way:
  @AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: 'Z_CDS_OP'
@AbapCatalog.compiler.compareFilter: true
@AccessControl.authorizationCheck: #CHECK
@EndUserText.label: 'Material Query'
define view ZCDS_OP
with parameters
@Environment.systemField: #CLIENT
p1 : mandt,
@Environment.systemField: #USER
p2 : uname,
p3 : aenam
as select from mara as ar
{
:p1 as Client,
:p2 as Name,
aenam as Created_By,
matnr as Material
}
where
ar.mandt = :p1
and ar.aenam = :p3;

Here the parameter p2 is defined for the sy-uname value, but it functions as an optional parameter at run-time.

If no value is passed for p2 parameter, the system defaults it to the sy-uname value.

Note that there is no asterisk (*) over p2 field. Below is the output of this query:

In this case my username is 'FUNCTIONAL' and is displayed in column 'Name'.

Now I pass the value to the optional parameter:

Now, the p2 parameter value gets used and I get the following result:

This CDS view can also be consumed in an ABAP Program like the following:
    "Select Data from CDS view without optional parameter
SELECT Client, Name, Created_By, Material
FROM zcds_op( p3 = 'FUNCTIONAL' )
INTO TABLE @DATA(li_mara).

and
    "Select Data from CDS view with optional parameter
SELECT Client, Name, Created_By, Material
FROM zcds_op( p2 = 'DEEPAK', p3 = 'FUNCTIONAL' )
INTO TABLE @DATA(li_mara).

Both the code snippets work perfectly fine and generate the desired results.

So in this way I made a parameter optional in a CDS View.
18 Comments
joachimrees1
Active Contributor
This made me read about the help (F1 in AdT) about @Environment.systemField: #USER  an thus learn a little bit more.

Also, interesting to see that parameters can be used in the fields-list as well - I initially thought of them as only being useful for the where-clause.

Thanks!
Joachim

former_member400156
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Nice Article Deepak, Any idea how one can get last fiscal year based on user Input from selection screen.
former_member1321
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Santosh.

Can you please elaborate your question ?

Regards,

Deepak
madhu21vari
Explorer
0 Kudos
from your blog it is known that only system fields can make optional , what about if the fields are not system fields like Material(MATNR), sales document (VBELN).
former_member209088
Participant
0 Kudos
Tough luck... and the others are not optional either, they just have default values...which can also be done with @consumption.derivation (a few options).

Interestingly enough, do NOT try to perform an ASSOCIATION to a CDS view with Parameters (defaulted or not) -- doesn't work.

Reuse, who needs it....
freilinger
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Timothy,

you are correct about input parameters in associations.

Just in case you really need this feature in the context of an OData Service based on your top level CDS View:

We managed to get it working by adjusting IO_QUERY_OPTIONS in the IF_SADL_GW_QUERY_CONTROL~SET_QUERY_OPTIONS method for the concrete Entity Set (depending on IV_ENTITY_SET).

To be honest, this is probably not really a SAP Best Practice (and it is depending on hard coded input parameter names, which you have to place into your ABAP Code), but it is at least a possibility to deal with it.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Hi Deepak.

Can we make parameter optional for table field? In the above example you have used the system field to keep it optional.

Thanks and Regards

Arvind
0 Kudos
Hi Santosh,

please check  dats_add_months.
benjoon
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks for sharing this Deepak!
Balu483
Participant
0 Kudos

hi deepak,

when i tried to use same above mentioned code  ADT in Eclipse i am getting  ‘Unexpected word @’ error at  @Environment.systemField: #CLIENT code line  and also at @Environment.systemField: #USER

rahulkumarsap
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Deepak

This mandatory (*) indication works only in ADT. Run the same thing in any reporting tool or RSRT, it does not work. Please check
thyagab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi deepakt5 ,

I have field which is not system field in standard CDS input parameter.

I need to make this field from mandatory to optional.

Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Thiyagarajan
0 Kudos
Hi,

i just found a way to define a standard value for a parameter and bypass it if the parameter is set with the standard value...because you can use the REPLACE function in where clause.

Have a look and hope it helps!

yogen_patil
Explorer
yogen_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Tewari,

I have a question please, I need to develop a CDS Views Consumption that has filled Parameters and Select option and checkbox just like in the picture below, is it possible please.

This CDS view musst be  consumed in a FIORI

Best Regards.

former_member1321
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi hamama, I am not sure if I understood your requirement properly. The screen that I see is an ABAP selection screen which is not related to CDS views.

If your view is consumed in Fiori, maybe you can default some values at the fiori screen for the user.
vaibhav1989
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Deepak,

Nice Article,

can you please help me out for my requirement.

in my case, i have 3 different OPTIONAL  input parameters in  CDS view.

and out of this 3 input ANY ONE must be entered , (out of 3 input any one should be dynamically Mandatory  )
and this should be CDS level only (RSRT Tcode level)
Labels in this area