Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z_brandon
Active Participant
If you’re struggling to install the SAP ABAP Dev trial the you might be running into the same issues I did.

Below you will find common issues and lessons I ran into when trying to install the SAP ABAP Trial (Dev Edition) of AS ABAP 7.52 SP01/ SP04.

I.e. issues after executing ./install.sh.

Hostname Issues:

If you’ve come across this error in your log file during the installation, then you’re not alone!
=>sapparam(1c): No Profile used.
=>sapparam: SAPSYSTEMNAME neither in Profile nor in Commandline
################################################
Abort execution because of
Step returns modlib.jslib.caughtException
################################################

I managed to fix this error by correcting the entries in my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname files. As the guide says, you need to edit these two files so that they look exactly like below:

Linux command:
sudo nano /etc/hosts

sudo nano /etc/hosts

10.0.2.15 vhcalnplci vhcalnplci.dumm.nodomain vhcalnplci

However, the guide doesn’t seem to include the vhcalnplci after “.nodomain”. Once I included it that seemed to partly fix my issue.

Then the hostname file also needs to be as per below:

Linux command:
sudo nano /etc/hostname

hostname file

You can also achieve the same thing with this nice little Linux command:

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname vhcalnplci

Shared Folder not Visible | Unable to insert the virtual optical disk

It seems that this time around I needed to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions addon to be able to access the sf_s4installer folder on my host machine. When I first tried it gave me this error:

guest additions addon

error: Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine 752 SP04.

To fix this I:

1. Rebooted the virtual machine

2. Clicked Devices → Optical Drives → Remove disk from virtual drive

3. Then I tried Devices → Insert Guest addition CD image

This seemed to work because I was then presented with a pop up to continue the installation of the Guest addition addon.

OpenSUSE root password must be 8 characters or more

I don’t know why I chose a short root password to begin with(even though OpenSUSE warned me it was too short) but after fixing everything above and having the install still fail, this seemed to be the final fix I needed.

Unfortunately, I don’t have anything useful in the log file to show you but if you’ve tried everything (and you’re at your wits end) then the issue might be too short a Linux root user password.

Final Thoughts

After fixing all of the above I finally managed to get through the server installation and my new version is now up and running.

If you’ve found any other issues worth adding please comment below and I’ll add them to the list.
Thanks for reading!
8 Comments
Jelena
Active Contributor
Nice blog! Good to hear you were able to get it up and running.

I ran into some weird issue back in 2019 when I tried it (it was the older version 7.51 at the time), posted about it here. After spending several evenings on that, I just went with SAP CAL version and never tried a download again. (By the way, there are other options these days, e.g. using Docker and what's not, these were not available just a year ago.) Honestly, CAL is like "just take my money" meme 🙂 , I value my time too much to not use it.

julie.plummer has many blogs on this subject.

z_brandon
Active Participant
Thank you ☺️

I know what you mean! I’m really keen to try out the Docker setup next or even try and squeeze it onto a Raspberry pi cluster!

I had been facing the issue and thought wouldn’t be able to overcome it but I’m glad that my issue is solved now

z_brandon
Active Participant
Glad you managed to fix the issue. May I ask which issue you ran into specifically?
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Axel,

Could you please share the issue?

It may be helpful to others. Also, I will probably include it in the SAP AS ABAP 7.5x Developer Edition FAQs document, which I am compiling.

Thanks Julie.
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Brandon,

THanks a lot for these issues.

I am currently compiling an FAQ document:

SAP AS ABAP 7.5x Developer Editions: FAQs

Would it be ok for me to include these issues, with your write-up? I will of course point people back to your post.

Thanks and best wishes,

Julie.

BTW, "OpenSUSE root password must be 8 or 9 characters." not "...or more."

This is covered in the official guides, as jelena.perfiljeva2 implied:

z_brandon
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Julie,

Absolutely, please go right ahead ?.

Thanks for the feedback! I see now that the password issue was mentioned in the guides.

I really don't know why they don't provide a working VM or docker image right from the beginning.
Labels in this area