Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coleti
Active Contributor

Introduction

Dear SCN Members, I've spend sometime using our new SCN after the migraton to S/4 Hana plataform, and I really don´t like the Search tool that we have in the SCN. Maybe they will improve or not, I don´t know... anyway it´s better to find discussion and blogs included the archived questions using the Google search than the SCN Search.

In my opinion, this one of the main reasons why many SCN members tend to post a new discussoin than search for existing Q&A's in our SCN...

Because of this, I would like to share the way that I use to find what I am looking for about SAP.

Searching with SAP Support Portal

The SAP Support Portal have a good search tool which will not only look for SCN posts, but it will look for SAP Notes, SAP Knowledge Base Articles, SAP Community content and more.

There is not better way to share some knowledge than using an example. So I will search for the most knowed error message that we have in SAP CO Module lol: Account XXXXXXXXX requires an assignment to a CO object

The SAP One Support will search in the Knowledge Base of the SAP which include:

• SAP Notes & KBAs

• SAP Community

• SAP Community Wiki

• SAP Support Portal

• SAP Help Portal

• SuccessFactors Community

• Guided Answers

This is amazing.

Let´s look on the result of this search:

By default the search result will bring the Notes and KBA's but you can go thru the other search bases:

The SAP Community is our SCN search result:

Conclusion

So, with a single search tag we had results from many SAP KDB plataforms, Notes, KDA's, Help Portal, our SCN...

I think that all SCN members should know about this and search in the SAP Support Portal before open a discussion.

Related Blogs and Q&A's that may be useful:

That is it !!!

Best regards,

Gabriel Coleti

9 Comments
denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
I wish we can promote this blog somehow , so it is the first thing people see when they log into SAP Community.
Jelena
Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing!

One thing to note: this works only with S-user. Out of curiosity, I tried the same steps with just P-user and ended up with just a message like “you’re using P-user so buzz off” and no results whatsoever. I was expecting to see at least the public content, so this was a bummer.

Also for anyone with S-user there is pimped up Expert Search available, which is a simply amazing tool when you have only a generic search keyword and end up digging through hundreds of notes. A lot of thought and effort by the SAP team, SAP Mentors, and customers in the pilot program went into that tool and it clearly shows.

Jelena
Active Contributor
Yeah, if only there was a home page with featured content or something, hm... 🙂

coleti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks for this input Jelena, I forgot that only S-User is able to check the SAP Portal. That research would be very usefull even for P-Users to 😞
ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi coleti ,

Nice blog and I couldn’t agree more how important search is before posting.

Also, looks like there is a connected blog just posted yesterday by c436ae948d684935a91fce8b976e5aa7 :

https://blogs.sap.com/2019/02/12/the-crazy-and-confusing-search-for-answers/  

Cheers,
Ervin

coleti
Active Contributor
Hello Ervin,

Thank you... I just read Michelle's blog and it's really nice too 🙂

Cheers,

Gabriel Coleti
mmcisme1
Active Contributor

Thank you!   Actually I love this blog as well.   They really compliment each other.   I do like to search the support portal.   Google is usually my first step.  My next the support portal.  Then I try typing in the question and seeing what I get to the side.

Ummmm….  At the risk of offending someone, the community search is horrible.  Maybe if I used it enough, I’d figure out how to use it better.  It’s just not worth my finite time.

On the plus side both the support portal (I guess I'll have to learn to call it this instead of OSS) and google usually send me here.

Great blog!!!!

coleti
Active Contributor
Thank you 🙂 ... I hope they could improve this search in the future or integrate it with the mechanism used in the Support Portal.

Wallace
Active Participant

Thanks for this, I shared it in my company.  This is valid for many reasons…

Between the searches and community posts, we can get good/valid information from good sources… Other customers/consultants, SAP, on support, KBAs, etc.  But I feel SAP also monitors the community chats.

So I keep pushing the searches and post topics inside my company, but sometimes don’t see people using this as much.

Anyone else have similar opportunities?  Or similar opportunities they solved?  If so, I would like a chat…

Labels in this area