Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Dear all,

ABAP Cloud Developer Trial 2022 is now available on Docker:

https://hub.docker.com/r/sapse/abap-cloud-developer-trial/tags -> 2022

ABAP Cloud Developer Trial is a free, downloadable ABAP Platform on SAP HANA 2.0 for trying out the ABAP language and toolset. It is extensively pre-configured with SAP Fiori launchpad, SAP Cloud Connector, pre-configured backend /frontend connections, roles, and sample applications.

This solution is intended for two groups of developers:

• Non-ABAP developers, who are interested in learning more about the ABAP language and development tools
  • ABAP developers, who are interested in learning about new features (see below for some examples)

Note: This is the new name for ABAP Platform Trial. The name change is to highlight that you can now develop in the new ABAP Language Version, ABAP for Cloud Development. For more information, see the Highlights below. By the way, if you are interested in our overall release strategy for the Trial, see Karl Kessler’s announcement blog post from 2023: Now available: ABAP Platform Trial

julieplummer20_0-1707312743960.png

IMPORTANT:

All: Before you pull the image, make sure:

• You understand the principles of docker container technology
  • You know the entities docker image / docker container and their relationship
  • You know the basic commands to work with images and containers

Mac Users: Previously, ABAP Platform Trial ran on both Intel and M-series processors. Since then, Apple has upgraded its iOS. Thus, on the newest MacOS version, you can no longer run ABAP Cloud Developer Trial on Docker Desktop for MacBooks with an M-seríes processor. This is not a SAP-specific issue. So for now, you have two options:

• Run Docker Desktop with a MacBook that has an Intel processor.
  • Use the UTM app to emulate an AMD64 Linux distro via Apple QEMU.

Many many thanks to Community member @dylan-drummond for researching this. Dylan has written an exhaustive guide to this: 

M-series Apple Chip MacBooks and Abap Platform Trial containers using Docker and Podman 

This is Community content, so consume at your own risk; however, this could be very helpful to many Mac users.

ABAP License

The ABAP license supplied with the Docker image lasts only three months. Therefore, you should download and import the demo license as follows:

1. Logon to your ABAP system with the user SAP*, client 000, same password as for DEVELOPER (DEVELOPER , client 001, is locked).
  2. Start transaction SLICENSE; copy the hardware key.
  3. Get the license from minisap , choosing the system A4H.
  4. Back in your ABAP System, log off, then log on with the user DEVELOPER, client 001.
  5. Choose Install.
  6. The old ("INITIAL") license(s) should be deleted automatically. If not, start SLICENSE again; remove the old invalid licenses. (sap* is not allowed to delete licenses).

Update, 23rd April, 2024: 2022 as a Cloud Appliance (CAL)

Dear all, As an alternative to the Docker download, we have also released the same version of the Trial, under the name SAP ABAP Platform 2022, Developer Edition:

https://cal.sap.com/catalog#/applianceTemplates/c12a3b3d-99b0-4b44-a0c7-6509fe279a3d 

Enjoy!

Highlights of the 2022 Edition

ABAP Cloud Development: Developer Extensibility Scenario

julieplummer20_0-1713188198928.png  

ABAP Cloud map

ABAP Cloud is the ABAP development model you need to build cloud-ready business apps, services, and extensions. Including it in the ABAP Cloud Developer Trial means that you can get a feel for the concepts pertaining to ABAP Cloud Development and to a clean core when extending SAP S/4HANA. This scenario lets you build extensions directly on the SAP S/4HANA stack - tightly coupled, cloud-ready, and upgrade-stable. Of course, we don't offer the strictly business content from SAP S/4HANA. However, we do offer all the language elements - RAP cloud-optimized language, and released APIs and extension points. 

Important: You are thereby restricted to  cloud-optimized ABAP language. That is, if you are used to developing in Classic ABAP on-premise, and want to try out Cloud development, you must comply with ABAP Cloud Development rules, such as:

• Use public SAP APIs (local or remote) released by SAP to access SAP functionality and SAP data
  • Use public SAP extension points released by SAP to extend SAP objects. Modifications to SAP objects are not supported. (This includes SFLIGHT, for example.)
  • Use ADT (ABAP Development Tools) as your ABAP IDE
  • Use RAP (ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model) to build Fiori apps and services. SAP technologies like Dynpro or Web Dynpro are not released for ABAP cloud development
  • The software components ZLOCAL and ZCUSTOM_DEVELOPMENT can only be used for ABAP Cloud development - that is, compliant with these rules

More information:

ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model (RAP) - 2022

julieplummer20_2-1707312818813.png

Offers you an efficient way to build enterprise-ready, SAP HANA-optimized, OData-based Fiori UI services and Web APIs in the cloud as well as on-premise.

New features in 2022 include:

• Custom business objects
  • Event Consumption and Exposure
  • RAP Generator
  • RAP business object Test Double Framework (TDF)

To make it easier for you to get started, we have also added:

More information: 

Git-Enabled Change and Transport System (gCTS)

Snag_c56468.png

gCTS = CTS + git

A new way of transporting objects, gCTS enables you to use Git to store your ABAP development objects. gCTS makes use of special Git features, such as working on local copies of a central remote Git repository. Software development takes place in the usual editors like ABAP Development Tools (ADT). Changes to objects are still recorded in transport requests. Current states of objects can be pushed to remote Git repositories, either by releasing a transport request or while you’re working.
For the official documentation overview, see: 

Git-Enabled Change and Transport System (BC-CTS-GIT) | SAP Help Portal

The official documentation for configuration is in two parts:

1. Configuring Git-Enabled Change and Transport System
    Here, we have preconfigured the first two parts, so you only have to complete parts 3-5:  
     julieplummer20_0-1714132333934.png
  2. Configuring Git Repositories

Some certificates are already available. If you would like to connect to your own GitHub server or to a provider other than github.com, you have to add the appropriate certificates to the ABAP system in transaction STRUST. The configuration has been done for the default user ‘DEVELOPER’.

To get started with gCTS, simply open the gCTS app in the SAP Fiori Launchpad (FLP).

If you are a SAP customer, partner, or employee, the following SAP Note provides additional information: SAP Note: 2821718 . However, the essential configuration has already been done for everyone.

abapGit

julieplummer20_1-1711536855908.png

Yes, abapGit is available out of the box.
Documentation is here: abapGit Documentation
If you are not yet familiar with abapGit, this post by graham.robinson is a great introduction, with how-to videos:
abapGit So Easy

Custom Code Migration with the ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC)

We've pre-configured ABAP Platform Trial to run as a central check system for checking your custom code prior to migration - particularly useful for:

• SAP S/4HANA Readiness Checks
  • SAP Cloud Readiness Check

You can test this out of the box locally in SAP ADT, then configure the rest of your landscape to work with it.
For more general information on ATC, see these two excellent blogs, by Olga Dolinskaja:

SAP Cloud Connector

julieplummer20_0-1707312915858.png

SAP Cloud Connector provides a link between SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) applications and on-premise systems. It runs as on-premise agent in a secured network; acts as a reverse invoke proxy between the on-premise network and SAP BTP; and lets you use existing on-premise assets without exposing the entire internal landscape.

If you are interested in connecting your ABAP Platform Trial with a licensed version of SAP BTP, ABAP Environment (i.e.“Steampunk”), I have written a tutorial mission on this: Connect Your On-Premise System with SAP BTP, ABAP Environment

For more information, see:

Other Highlights of ABAP Platform 2022: Overview

Blog post: ABAP Platform for SAP S/4HANA 2022, from November 2022, by Olga Dolinskaja, including the Overview Presentation

Guides, Tutorials, FAQ, Troubleshooting

If you’re not sure where to start with your new system, we have written several tutorials:

SAP Tutorial Navigator: ABAP On-Premise Tutorials.

I have started putting together FAQs specifically for ABAP Platform Trial / ABAP Cloud Developer Trial on Docker. If you would like to contribute to this, please let me know:

ABAP Trial Platform on Docker: Tips and Tricks

The old FAQs  also contains some non-release-specific info on Cookbook-style projects, by SAP Community members: I will 

FAQ and Troubleshooting for SAP AS ABAP 7.5x

Troubleshooting: One last thing: Now that comments are no longer threaded, it is almost impossible to keep track of / answer your troubleshooting / error questions. Please please create a new question in the SAP Community - ABAP Development forum (which uses the User Tag "abap_trial"). I will try to monitor these questions, but other experienced ABAP users / mentors will also see them.

Enjoy!

39 Comments
albanleong
Contributor

Fantastic news! Thanks @julieplummer20 and team!
Installation worked flawlessly! So excited for this new learning ground!
2024-04-19_13-54-22.jpg

gui_machado
Explorer

Good news for the SAP community, thanks @julieplummer20.

htammen
Active Contributor

Hi,

good news for all ABAP devs, even though it's not a 2024 release.

You wrote some notes for Mac users. In this notes you write about the iOS version. I don't think it's running on iOS, aka iPhone, iPad. You probably mean macOS?

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi htammen, (Helmut?)

Yes, absolutely. Sorry, did a load of last-minute edits to release before the weekend, and messed that up. 
Have fixed. 
Btw, there won’t be a 2024 release - we are aiming for a 2023, 2025 and 2027 release, in line with the S/4HANA strategy. For more info, see Karl Kessler’s blog post: https://community.sap.com/t5/application-development-blog-posts/now-available-abap-platform-trial/ba... .

Hope you enjoy it. 
Julie. 

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Alban,

Very glad to hear this. 
Hope you enjoy it. 
Btw, if you blog on anything you try out, please let me know: I’m putting together an FAQs for ABAP Trial versions on Docker: 

https://github.com/SAP-docs/abap-platform-trial-image/blob/main/faq-v7.md  

Since it’s Git, I hope to work with contributors (like you 🙂).

Best wishes,

Julie. 

dylan-drummond
Contributor

@julieplummer20 Hi Julie,

I think you can be more optimistic about SAP Cloud Developer Trial and macOS users with an M-series (M1, M2, M3... etc) MacBook. Referring here to the gloomy claim that:

"on the newest MacOS version, ABAP Cloud Developer Trial runs only on a Mac with an Intel processor. This is not a SAP-specific issue. "

It's true, that in macOS Sonoma 14.4 (current version), there is something not working right between Apple Rosetta and Docker's integration with Rosetta... and this is preventing generally amd64 containers from running in the Docker Desktop paradigm. So for now, Docker Desktop is not the solution for the M-series MacBook users. But the good news is, that there is another way - which I just tested, it still works - to get Cloud Developer Trial working on M-series MacBooks: use the UTM Emulator-Hypervisor, emulate an amd64 Ubuntu VM, and follow my advice on getting it working:

https://community.sap.com/t5/technology-blogs-by-members/m-series-apple-chip-macbooks-and-abap-platf...

In that blog, scroll past the Docker Desktop section to the section called "Configuring an emulated amd64 Ubuntu Server VM for M-series MacBooks" - there it is explained how to set up the VM, and then you have a choice of using Docker or Podman for the rest. As the blog considers Abap Platform Trial, it will be a good idea to replace references to that older product with Cloud Developer Trial.

I tested that my own advice still works, test was successful, see the comment at:

https://community.sap.com/t5/technology-blogs-by-members/m-series-apple-chip-macbooks-and-abap-platf...

Regards,

dylan.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 15.18.18.png

JinceMichael
Explorer

Great news from sap community.thanks @julieplummer20 

Jorge_Cervantes
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear @julieplummer20 

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my enthusiasm for exploring the new version of ABAP and diving into the world of RAP-based applications within the ABAP environment. As an experienced ABAP developer, I believe that leveraging cloud developer trials is essential for enhancing my skills and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in our field.

However, I’ve encountered a challenge. From the earliest versions of the #abap_trial (such as ABAP AS 7.52) up to the latest SAP ABAP Platform 1909, I’ve noticed that certain training packages referenced in the documentation available on the learning hub are missing. These packages, such as DEVS4D430, DEVS4DEV, DEVS4D437, and even older ones like BC414, play a crucial role in my learning journey

Given their importance for my professional development, I kindly request your guidance or support in accessing or obtaining these training packages within the ABAP Cloud Developer Trial environment.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Your assistance would be immensely valuable to me.

alejiandro_sensejl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @julieplummer20 , thanks for sharing the great news! Kindly consider posting such news with an ABAP related tag like https://community.sap.com/t5/c-khhcw49343/ABAP+Development/pd-p/833755570260738661924709785639136. I actually missed this totally on SCN and only learned of it from social network 🙂

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @alejiandro_sensejl 

Thanks for this feedback. I am surprised, since "ABAP Development" is in fact one of the SAP Managed Tags that I included in the blogpost.

I'll investigate and get back to you regarding this.

Best wishes,

Julie Plummer.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @dylan-drummond ,

Thanks a lot for this. I now remember you writing about this previously. I will update the FAQs and Readme accordingly. Could be extremely helpful for many.

Best wishes,

Julie Plummer.

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear @julieplummer20 Julie,
thank You and Your Team members providing us this release!
We can spend again nice times with new ABAP 😊.
Maybe as a last fine tune step for the core basis packages responsible for logon, ALV rendering etc. the SGEN transaction could be executed before releasing the image. Seems everything is compiled on first access. On our local computer this causes performance problems / very slow response. Maybe for the next time when possible, this could be done in advance on your power machines 🙂. I hope this is manageable at Your side.
Thank You

albanleong
Contributor
0 Kudos

@Attila I have a different opinion to that. I think it is just nice as it is because if SAP were to run like a complete SGEN before releasing the image, it’ll increase the package size at least two to three times the current size. 
I have tried in the past to run a full SGEN on previous releases and I had to even extend the DB size.

Föß
Active Participant

Hi,

just tank you - This is so important!

Regards, 

PraveenChitturi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're planning to setup this ABAP trail in server and use it by the development team to practice the new technologies. At this moment we had windows server and unfortunately we couldn't able to install the docker in the windows server. Docker can't be install in windows server

Does there any other option to setup the ABAP trail in windows server? Or setting up Linux server is better to access by all our dev team centrally. We couldn't have such a huge memory and storage in the individual laptops to setup the trail.

Regards,

Praveen

Attila
Active Participant

@albanleong, running full SGEN makes no sense in trial for sure. We barely use all programs. I did back in 15 years with minisap a full SGEN like You explain with same effects and I killed it! This is why I said only selective core packages, not a full SGEN. In SGEN you can do very fine granular selection on package level. Picking up several will not increase the image size drastically.

Hyuk_Oh
Explorer

@Attila 

I did it yesterday. Because I use many programs not just se38 and se80.

It took only 2 hours on my ubuntu virtual machine with 6 core , 200Gb ssd and 21Gb ram.( host computer is a laptop with ryzen 5800h cpu and 32gb ram)

Hyuk_Oh
Explorer
0 Kudos

@PraveenChitturi 

If you have enough ram on the Windows server, try a virtual machine with Linux.

I'm running this trial version on the Linux virtual machine on Windows 10.

I did some port forwarding setup on my router.

PraveenChitturi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @Hyuk_Oh ,

Thank you for your reply. I think I can make new Linux system which can help to install the docker directly in that. Then the ABAP trail will be able to multiple login by the group of team members right? That's the main purpose of setting up this. 

Hyuk_Oh
Explorer
0 Kudos

@PraveenChitturi 

You can create multiple users. I copied the default user 'DEVELOPER' multiple times and all the new accounts work fine. 🙂

Attila
Active Participant
Sounds good it does not die after full SGEN 🤓. Last time I comitted the 1909 container to a new image for backup purpose, the result image size was already double of SAP original w/o doing any SGEN. Do not know what I did 🦉,the instance was not under heavy use, just me.
bztoy
Participant

This is really great news, a big thanks to Julie and the team, well done.

Regards,

Wises

Jorge_Cervantes
Explorer

I executed the commit command in Docker to illustrate the variations in size between Docker images before and following the execution of SGEN, just for illustrative reference:

Jorge_Cervantes_0-1714147166134.png

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor

After three days without any problems I'm not able to start the docker image (WSL on Win11 with 32GB) anymore 😢

HDB: starting

27.04.2024 13:26:12
Start
OK

27.04.2024 13:26:26
StartWait
FAIL: process hdbdaemon HDB Daemon not running
HDB: the start command failed, exit code=2
The service HDB has failed to start and initialization is blocked until the problem is resolved
You can try your luck 10 times until initialization is terminated
Hint: docker containers can be joined by: docker exec -it <name> bash
Hint: Container must have at least 16GB RAM available
Hint: Container must have at least 70GB DISK free

No idea what has changed since yesterday.

Edit: absolutely strange. Today (a day later) it works again 🤔

Mumali
Participant

Just what I needed, as the 1909 version is missing the newest cool stuff. Thank you @julieplummer20  and the team!

Devraj
Active Participant

This just proves how important ABAP is to the SAP community. I am sure 100% of the readers found this link via their LinkedIn Feed.  Do post a comment to let me know if it was otherwise 🙂 

apachon
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello.

When trying to get the image from docker I get the following error message

Error response from daemon: manifest for sapse/abap-cloud-developer-trial:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

Captura desde 2024-05-01 16-51-39.png

Other images I can download without problems.

Regards.

Hyuk_Oh
Explorer

@apachon 

You have to add tag.

Check out the tags tab.

Screenshot_20240502_074635_Chrome.jpg

apachon
Participant
0 Kudos

@Hyuk_Oh Thank you so much!

FlorinEne
Explorer

Great initiative again, thanks to the whole team for this new 2022 version!

I just can't get it why comparing it to 1909 it has to compile absolutely everything and so slow. Even inserting a favorite transaction (for the first time) takes a few seconds.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for clarifying my question.

Florin

P.S.

Okay, your documentation answered this already:

Slow initial start of many functions / applications

For technical reasons, we have delivered this initial shipment of SAP Cloud Developer Trial without the Load. Thus, the Load must be started on the fly. Thus, the initial start of many transactions and applications will be slower.

Attila
Active Participant

@Jorge_Cervantes 

I've comitted the container after first run to an image without any SGEN, the resulting image size is 103G. After SGEN it became 117, so the delta by SGEN looks 14GB on my side.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

UweFetzer_se38

Hi Uwe, 

Very sorry to hear.

If this happens again, please let us know.

Best wishes,

Julie Plummer.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@alejiandro_sensejl 

Hi Alejiandro,

This is the official answer:
"

The SAP Managed tag page the user linked to below, only displays a small snapshot of all content with any given tag. We recommend our users subscribe to our RSS feeds if they would like to be notified of all content for specific tags. We have more information here: https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/exploring-the-rss-feeds-of-the-new-sap-community-platform/ba...

and here: https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/additional-sap-community-feeds/ba-p/13615436"

Best wishes,

Julie Plummer.

hauke_h
Discoverer

Thank you for this new release of the SAP Trial!

Jorge_Cervantes
Explorer

@Attila, I think your comment is very enlightening: Maybe the additional space before you used SGEN could be by installing the server routines and data and temp data. 

@hauke_h I did need to limit the memory and processors that the image was using; after running SGEN, I committed the image and then ran with the following command:

docker run --stop-timeout 3600 -i --name a4h_2022_20240421 -h vhcala4hci -p 3200:3200 -p 3300:3300 -p 4302:4302 -p 8443:8443 -p 30213:30213 -p 30215:30215 -p 50000:50000 -p 50001:50001 --memory="20000m" --cpus=8 abap-cloud-developer-trial:2022_20240421 -skip-limits-check -agree-to-sap-license

Some of the additional ports are used to work with "SAP HANA Tools," while the memory and CPU parameters allow me to control these resources.

kyo_choi2
Participant
0 Kudos

Wonder anyone else have this issue. 

After running the server overnight, I cannot log-in anymore.  SAP GUI log-in or ADT log-in has following error message.  

SAP GUI partner '127.0.0.1:3200' not reached WSAECONNREFUSED: Connection refused

After this, I have to shut down the server and reboot the PC several times and restart the docker and SAP A4H, to be able to log-in with SAP GUI again.  Currently I am using SAP Logon 7.5.

Jorge_Cervantes
Explorer
0 Kudos

@kyo_choi2 Have you tried modifying the hosts file in the sap logon machine?

/etc/hosts

Format:
IPAddress DomainName [DomainAliases]
example:
10.230.18.3 vhcala4hci.dummy.com vhcala4hci

saplogon setup:
application server: vhcala4hci

kyo_choi2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.   That's already been modified.  So the instance is active, and I can use it but leaving over night, I cannot log back on again.  It might be due to PC's fire wall or virus SWs.

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

@kyo_choi2 

Same happened to me at weekend. Beforenoon was ok, but afternoon the same issue like You. Instance running but unable to connect. I checked the host file as well, and put localhost in SAP GUI as server to try, but did not help. Only restarting the instance solved the issue. 

Environment:

• Win 11 Pro Workstation
  • Docker Containers, Images and Swap file configured to run on the Dev Drive on ReFS
  • Latest Docker Windows 4.29.0 (145265)
  • WSL2 linux distro is updated (Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS)
  • McAfee AV/Firewall

Nothing special was seen in the console output.