Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blair_wheadon
Contributor

Our #1 most popular license type last year was the Concurrent Session Based License (CSBL). What is this thing and why is it so popular?

There are 2 ways that we license content viewing in the BI platform:

• Named Users
  • CSBLs

Note this is unlike most of our competitors, which typically use a combination of CPUs and Named Users. Microsoft offers a CAL license, but that's really a license for a device, not a person or a session.

Named users license an individual. The license is with the person. To illustrate this, imagine a company with 3 SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform deployments. John has a named user license. He is now licensed to connect to all 3 of these systems. They also guarantee access - they are not subject to availability of a session on the system.

CSBLs license a session. Sessions are consumed by individuals. Users that are configured to use CSBL licenses consume a CSBL session with each login. This means if Susie is a CSBL user, and logs in to the BI Launchpad, Live Office, and BI Mobile, then she consumes 3 CSBL sessions. CSBL licenses are specific to a single deployment and cannot be shared across multiple deployments in the way that named user licenses can. Unlike named users, CSBL licenses do not guarantee access to a system. If a system has 25 CSBL licenses, and all of them are consumed, then the next CSBL user that attempts to login will receive an error message.

Call me biased, but here's why I think our combination of named users and CSBLs are a great differentiator

1. They're flexible. IT doesn't have to count CPUs on the system according to arbitrary rules. Unlike CPU licensing, as much hardware can be used to solve the BI problem as required without worrying about licensing impact. Virtualized hardware is fully supported by this licensing model.
  2. They're easy to administer. Both CSBL and named user licenses are monitored by the software, so it's easy to stay in compliance.
  3. They're well understood.
  4. They map well to real world requirements. CSBLs are great for casual users that require intermittent access to the system. Named users are great for heavy users and managers/executives that require guaranteed access.

Depending on when you purchased your SAP BusinessObjects solution, you may not have access to CSBLs in your licensing model and may require a conversion to the new licensing model that supports CSBLs.

If you're like me and really enjoy reading license agreements, you can learn more here. The core of our licensing is in the "Software Use Rights Agreements".

-Blair

102 Comments
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

We support multiple contract models with one software product. Some contracts allow administration with CSBLs, others - including the current model - do not.

As much as we would all like this to be automatic, there is still a need to understand your license model and configure the system so it aligns with your contract terms.

Thanks, Blair

ragove
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think it would be interesting to read our license contract.  thank you Blair I will read and then update, may be.

Estarr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

Thanks a lot for all the useful information.

Please clarify the following snapshot from the SAP Marketplace - basically, if you have a BI Platform installation the following applies:

What authorizations are required for the design and analyze profile of the Named User License?

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Blair, can you help me please?

We have next licenses:

1) SAP BusinessObjects Financial Consolidation 300

2) SAP BusinessObjects Financial Inform. Mgmt (FIM) 300

3) BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (user)       100

4) SAP Application Business Analytics Professional User  300  

With 1,2,3 points little understood, it's licenses for FC, FIM and BI platform, but for which product is 4)SAP Application Business Analytics Professional User licenses?

Thanks...

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

The BA&T BI Suite was sold from 2011-2014, and it included viewing rights only to the products included in the suite.

The Business Analytics Professional license adds authoring and administration rights to the BI Suite (and other Analytics solutions). This allows new BI Suite documents to be created, existing documents to be modified, and provides administration rights. This license applies to all the client types in the BI Suite, and other products in the Analytics portfolio like SAP Business Planning and Consolidation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Blair

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Blair! I have some questions:

The BA&T BI Suite was sold from 2011-2014, and it included viewing rights only to the products included in the suite.

- which products included in the suite? Is it BI 4.0 products: Crystal Rep., Webi, LO, Universes?

This license applies to all the client types in the BI Suite, and other products in the Analytics portfolio like SAP Business Planning and Consolidation.

- where I can look other products in the Analytics portfolio? Now we have:

Financial Consolidation

Intercompany

FIM

BPC

Are these products in Analytics portfolio or not?

Sorry for the lot of questions ...

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

BA&T BI Suite contains:

• Crystal Reports
  • Web Intelligence
  • Lumira Desktop
  • Lumira Server for BI Platform
  • Analysis for Office
  • Analysis for OLAP
  • Explorer
  • Live Office
  • Dashboards (Xcelsius)
  • Design Studio

The list of licenses that the BA&T Business Analytics Pro license applies to is quite long.

Business Intelligence

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (Concurrent Session license (“CS”))

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Mobile add-on (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Mobile add-on (CS)

BA&T SAP Crystal Reports (user)

BA&T SAP Crystal Reports (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for OLAP (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for OLAP (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for Office (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for Office (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Dashboard (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Dashboard (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Explorer (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Explorer (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Explorer accelerated package (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Explorer accelerated package (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Integration, version for ESRI GIS software by APOS (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Integration, version for ESRI GIS software by APOS (User)

SAP Lumira

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence, version for SAP Applications

Enterprise Information Management

SAP BusinessObjects Operational enterprise information mgmt package

SAP BusinessObjects Analytical enterprise information mgmt package

BA&T SAP Data Services

BA&T SAP Information Steward

BA&T SAP Information Steward Multi-Source Integrators by MITI Add-on

BA&T SAP Event Insight

BA&T SAP Data Federator

BA&T SAP Data Integrator (DI)

BA&T SAP Data Quality Management (DQM)

BA&T SAP DQM, version for SAP Solutions

BA&T SAP Data Quality Management SDK

GRC

BA&T SAP Access Control

BA&T SAP Process Control

BA&T SAP Risk Management

BA&T SAP GTS, Export

BA&T SAP GTS, Import

BA&T SAP GTS, Restitution

BA&T SAP GTS, Trade Preferences

BA&T SAP GTS, Bundle

BA&T SAP Goods Movement with EMCS

BA&T SAP GTS, Sanction Party List Service

BA&T SAP Electronic Customs Processing for AES (Automated Export System)

BA&T SAP Electronic Invoicing for Brazil (NFE - Inbound)

BA&T SAP Electronic Invoicing for Brazil (NFE - Outbound)

EPM

BA&T SAP Planning & Consolidation, version for the Microsoft Platform (BPC)

BA&T SAP Planning & Consolidation, version for SAP NetWeaver (BPC)

BA&T SAP Planning, version for the Microsoft Platform

BA&T SAP Planning, version for SAP NetWeaver

BA&T SAP Consolidation, version for the Microsoft Platform

BA&T SAP Planning & Consolidation, SAP NetWeaver Platform Access Component

BA&T SAP Planning & Consolidation, Microsoft Platform Access Component

BA&T SAP Strategy Management

BA&T SAP Spend Performance Management

BA&T SAP Financial Information Management (FIM)

BA&T SAP Intercompany

BA&T SAP Financial Consolidation

BA&T SAP Profitability and Cost Management

BA&T SAP Disclosure Management

BA&T SAP Notes Management

Mid Market solutions for Business Intelligence

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data integration (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data management (user)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data integration (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data management (CS)

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition NUL add-on

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data integration NUL add-on

BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge edition with data management NUL add-on

Bundles based on SBOP

SAP Treasury and Financial Risk Management, treasury operations

SAP Enterprise Risk and Compliance Management, risk management

SAP Financial Planning and Analysis, planning and analysis

SAP Accounting and Financial Close, corporate close & disclosure, fin. cons. Vers.

SAP Accounting and Financial Close, corporate close & disclosure, BPC version

Thanks, Blair

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Blair. I hope this is my last question 😃

Example we have next licenses:

1) SAP Financial Consolidation                400  (1block)

2) SAP Intercompany                              400 (1block)

3) SAP Planning & Consolidation (BPC)   400 (1block)

4) SAP Financial Information Management (FIM)                400 (1block)

5) BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (user)      400 (users)

6) SAP Application Business Analytics Professional User      700 (users)

Also can we disribute licenses like this:

1) SAP Financial Consolidation:  (300 users can view reports, view data, add/delete data) + (100 users who can create\edit reports, customize system, administer) = 400 - full use.

2) SAP Intercompany:  (300 users can view reports, view data, add/delete data) + (100 users who can create\edit reports, customize system, administer) = 400 - full use.

3) SAP Planning & Consolidation (BPC)  (300 users can view reports, view data, add/delete data) + (100 users who can create\edit reports, customize system, administer) = 400 - full use.

4) SAP Intercompany (300 users can view reports, view data, add/delete data) + (100 users who can create\edit reports, customize system, administer) = 400 - full use.

5) BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (300 users can view reports, view data, add/delete data) + (100 users who can create\edit reports, customize system, administer) = 400 - full use.

6) SAP Application Business Analytics Professional User  = 700 - 100(from 1) - 100(from 2) - 100 (from 3) - 100(from4) -100(from5) = 200 free licenses ????

Is it correctly?

Thanks...

daniele_tiles2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

I've come up with your post and followed some links, and I got to this https://dam.sap.com/mac/preview/a/67/mSlwONlJOESLxUngXfJPnEOhgwUEXdwyOgH1wyHJOFJXPgU3/Updated%20BI%2...

In this document is written "

DO I NEED TO UPGRADE

MY SOFTWARE TO TAKE

ADVANTAGE OF THIS?

No. SAP’s license model is

unrelated to

the version of the software.

CAN I STAY ON MY CUR

RENT LICENSE MODEL A

ND UPGRADE MY SOFTWA

RE?

Yes. If you are happy with your current license

model you can continue to use it indefinitely

You can download

the latest software on SAP Service Marketplace. 

However you won’t be able to benefit from new functionality

that is included in the latest BI Suite license model.

*Some restrictions apply

if your current license includes products that are not available in the latest version. For

example, if your license includes an entitlement to Desktop Intelligence, then you are not entitled to the latest

version because the BI Platform 4.x does not inclu

de Desktop Intelligence. A license conversion will be required

"

Does this mean that

• If my client, who has got a CPU based license, decides to upgrade from XI to BI, doesn't need to change his license model
  • BUT in this way, he's not entitled to use new features: is this right? And what are these new features?

Thanks

Daniele

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Blair

can you help me?

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Your client can use the new features of the products they are entitled to.

But they cannot access new products (like Lumira Server for BI Platform, Lumira Desktop).

It all depends on what products are licensed under their current CPU license.

Thanks, Blair

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

This question is too detailed for a SCN blog. Can you email me please?

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for responsive Blair,

I cannot find email in your profile.

My email is  ooskenesary@gmail.com Can you send me test message?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

Looking at my licenses, I see some software that bundled that I wasn't expecting to be available to me:

SAP Data Integrator

SAP IQ Enterprise Edition

SAP PowerDesigner Data Architect

Are these just part of the BI Suite bundle?  I seem to remember seeing a document that described the different levels of BI Suite that can be licensed, but I'm not able to find it.  Would you be able to point me to the location of that document?

Thanks,

Angela

csk901
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

A quick followup question on this point, if a named user login from BI Launchpad & LiveOffice, it will consider it as 2 sessions. Also a user might have 2 laptops & both have Live Office installed on them. It is the same person in both cases (not different user). Are these situations valid as per named user licensing? Please confirm,

Thanks,

CK

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, these are part of the BI Suite bundle. The document you're referring to is available on the SAP BI Upgrade page; https://www.sapbi.com/upgrade/

Here's a direct link: https://dam.sap.com/mac/preview/a/67/mSlwONlJOESLxUngXfJPnEOhgwUEXdwyOgH1wyHJOFJXPgU3/Updated%20BI%2...

Thanks, Blair

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, these are both valid scenarios for named user licensing. They are valid as well for concurrent session licenses too.

csk901
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

One more followup question, somehow if Administrator account (also the guest & other 2 system accounts) on a named user licensing environment are created as concurrent users. Do they have to be converted into named user licenses or left as is as they wont be used by any users except the admin account for administration purpose. Just trying to understand whether the Administrator account needs to be a named user to be compliant with named user licensing or it can remain as concurrent user.

Thanks,

CK

Anandha
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Blair,

Informative blog on licensing model for BO and discussions down here are also interesting

I have very basic question on these licenses. We have 100 license for our BO and licenses for development system (developers) are also included in this 100 license as Named user license or like other SAP system  example ERP development system license is not counted? If not counted how can I apply this?

Please clarify

Regards,

AK

former_member50091
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Blair,

Excellent blog.

For me is not clear when the system reset the CSBL? they are available per day/week/year?

I mean if I bought 25 CSBL and my team consumes it in one day whats next?

Thanks

Vane.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Blair for sharing the blog!!

Could you please share your views on below scenarios.

1. Let's assume we have License Key having 1000 Concurrent Session Based Licenses and got 3 Production (US North America, US South America & UK) deployments. Is there a way, where can we restrict 400 sessions for US - NA, 250 for US - SA & 350 for UK deployments?

2. Do we need 3 CSBL for each deployment for above scenario?

2. Adhoc users should be created as Named User only? Cannot a Concurrent User create/modify a Report?

Regards,

Samraj

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vanessa,

CSBLs are permanent. When a user logs in, and that user is a CSBL user, they consume a free session (if it exists). When that user logs out or times out, they release that session.

Hope that helps.

-Blair

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samraj,

If you have a 1000 CSBL license you can request multiple license keys for each production deployment. So you would need 3 keycodes for that scenario - one for each deployment.

For Web Intelligence reports, concurrent session users have full create/modify rights. Same for Lumira documents.

We do not support concurrent session licensing with most desktop tools (except for Analysis for Office) due to technical reasons.

Thanks, Blair

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP licenses (including BusinessObjects BI) include non productive use rights.

Meaning you can create test and development deployments free of charge.

Note that this does not apply to legacy customers on BusinessObjects contracts.

Thanks, Blair

former_member183781
Active Participant
0 Kudos

3 Production (US North America, US South America & UK) deployments...?

Need more detail(s)

Are they all Federated-Nodes with Central-CMS, or different stand-alone deployments in each region..?

If it is a Global Deployment shared between all 3 regions, you might be able to look at using the Multi-Tenancy Set-Up to define "Concurrent-Sessions" available per Region if you made each Region a Tenant.

All depends on how you have set-up your BI-Platform Cluster, and what kind of Authentication-Method you are using for your Users.

former_member50091
Discoverer
0 Kudos

What does it means permanent? They are daily?

Thanks

Vanessa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Blair for quick response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Richardson.

Mentioned deployments all are different and not federated nodes.

As it's not a Global deployment, I haven't thought of Multi-Tenancy. Will explore on Federation and Multi Tenancy features.

Regards,

Samraj

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

If you license 20 CSBLs, that is the size of your concurrent session pool. It's a perpetual license. You are entitled to have up to 20 sessions (one user can create more than one session) connected to the system at once. When the users logout, they release the session they were using back into the session pool.

If a user tries to login and there isn't a free session, they receive an error message.

-Blair

former_member202084
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Blair

This Blog is great, but I still don't understand completely what my concurrent users can do.

I have 30 NUL and 50 Concurrent users. My question is can the 50 concurrent users have the same functionality in Launchpad as the 30 NUL? I know they can only log in if a session is available. We have the BI Suite and are at 4.1SP7.

Thank you,

Rose Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Blair,

My understanding is that a concurrent license is used per product. So if I open 5 WEBI reports it is one session, if I open 6 Design Studio  reports its a  second session. Does the launch pad I logged into a session as well? So in the case I described  I have used 2 or 3 concurrent licenses.

The second question is that if I close all the Webi reports, do I free up the concurrent license that I used by calling a Webi report? Or must I log out of BI Launchpad or time out to free up the 2 or 3 sessions.

Thank you.

John

Thank you,

John
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Good questions.

The rule of thumb is 1 logon = 1 session. So that one logon used by the BI Launchpad is also used for every Webi report, Design Studio template, Crystal Report, and any other document type that you open from that BI Launchpad.

But if you logon from say the Mobile BI app, that’s one more session.

If you logon from Analysis Office, that’s another session.

In short we share sessions wherever we can.

If you open a different browser, we can’t access the session in the original browser so we will consume another session.

If you close the browser window with all those documents open as separate browser tabs, it will logoff that one session automatically (this feature was done in later versions of 4.1 – I think SP4 or SP5).

If you leave the browser unattended, the default timeout is 20 minutes before the session will automatically logoff.

Closing browser tabs (not windows) does not logoff the session as there may be other browser tabs that use that session.

Hope that helps.

-Blair

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Blair,
First of all thanks for an excellent blog, it is very usefull.

I have two questions for which I have trouble finding answers on:

Our SAP BO is based on the combination NUL + CS.
1 NUL => 1 person on all deployements.
1 CS => 1 logon (session) per single deployement.

Question: What is defined as one deployment? (includes: prod. + dev. + test.)

We also have 42 licenses for Lumira client installation.
We plan to prepare reports in Lumira clients and publish on BO.

Question: Can anyone who does not have Lumira client license access such report if they are covered by our CS or NUL?

I look forward to your answer.

BR
Tanja
achmad_dimyati5
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Blair,

Currently I have BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (Concurrent Session license ("CS")): Access platform services; customize, personalize dashboards, BI Widgets, and user profiles; view (i.e. refresh, schedule, export, zoom, sort, search, filter, drill, apply basic formatting) againts predefined reports.

The license for 25 concurrent sessions * 2 (50).

My question is for View only (not authoring),
Do I need additional named users license in SAP NW BW where the query/infocubes are defined there?

Thanks a lot,

BR,
Dimyati
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
On the web, via BI Launchpad, CSBL users have the same rights as NUL users in the current license model. Both can view and author content. This assumes you own the BI Suite (2014) or later license model.

The difference between the 2 license comes up with desktop clients. We only support the NUL metric with desktop clients in the BI Suite license model (2014) or later. The only exception is Analysis for Office which is the only desktop tool that supports both NULs and CSBLs
blair_wheadon
Contributor
In general, customers on SAP contracts get free non productive deployments. We only charge for  productive deployments.

Technically -  prod, dev, and test are separate deployments.

If you are on a BA&T BI Suite license (2011) or later, then you are entitled to Lumira Server in both the NUL and CS metric. Those users can view AND modify Lumira documents published to the BI Platform from Lumira Desktop.

Thanks, Blair
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dimyati,

No – you do not need named user licenses to connect to BW.

All BOBJ BI Platform licenses (including Edge BI excluding Crystal Server) include the right to access BW data, which includes adding those users to BW  for the purposes of authentication.

This is available under all metrics – NUL, CSBL, and CPU.

Thanks, Blair
Former Member
0 Kudos
Thanks Blair

Your post above seems pretty clear, so bear with me for looking for further clarification.

We have:

• 86x SAP Business Analytics professional user licenses

• 380x SAP BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite (user) licenses.

Can I confirm that the BA&T SAP BusinessObjects BI Suite licenses do have access to Lumira Desktop and Lumira Server?

Regards

Gareth
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
No. They have access to Lumira Server only. To create & modify Lumira documents with Lumira Desktop requires one of the 86 BA Pro user licenses in addition to the BA&T BI Suite licenses.

This 'license on license' requirements of the BA&T model is probably the 'lowlight' of that model. It's complex to understand and administer.

We can in most cases provide a credit for your BA&T licenses toward our current, simpler license model that doesn't have this complexity.

Thanks, Blair
Former Member
0 Kudos
Thanks for the prompt response.

If I paraphrase your response, the 380 BA&T BI Suite licenses come with Lumira Server but, of those 380, only the 86 BA pro licenses are able to use Lumira Desktop in addition?  I.e. only the 86 licences are able to create content but the 380 can consume it.

But I am confused.  In a previous response to Daulet Ujurganov (above) you said "BA&T BI Suite contains:

• Crystal Reports

• Web Intelligence

• Lumira Desktop

• Lumira Server for BI Platform"

Can you clarify?

Would you be able to email me?  My email address is garethblynch@gmail.com.

Regards

Gareth
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Gareth,

The BA&T BI Suite license model contains Lumira Desktop, but it is subject to the named user restriction that users of Lumira Desktop also require an additional named user authoring license (the BA Pro license is one of these) to stay compliant.

Unfortunately I cannot fit all the restrictions and nuances of these license models in blog responses. At the end of the day the document of record is the contract.

One clarification: the 380 users of BA&T BI Suite can do everything that the Lumira Server allows, which includes consuming Lumira documents, modifying them, and even creating them from scratch in the browser using HANA online mode only.

Thanks, Blair
former_member184088
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello Blair,

From https://blogs.sap.com/2017/06/12/named-user-behavior-change-from-4.2sp04/

As per definition of Named user, it is meant for an individual user and hence credentials should not be shared across.

Problem:

But we did encounter some discrepancies wrt Named User usage.

Hence we introduced restriction on max number of logon sessions to 10 for each named user.

Is that true, one NA user can use max 10 session even in BO 4.1?
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
This will be implemented in a future BI Platform 4.1 support pack.
0 Kudos
Hello Blair,

first of all, this is a great blog!

I have also a question. We have a Licence called BA&T SAP BusinessObjects Edge BI, stand. pack (10User) , 1 Developer, 9 User. What does User mean exactly? We were told User could only build up Content in only one Client, but what does that mean exactly? Because that Licence Model it's pretty old, I assume, that the Users are NUL. As I read in your replie's before dev, and test are free of Charge, so the 9 users could also develop reports in different BO Tools and Transport them on the Productive System, and the development User could develop on more than one productive System, is that right?

Thanks a lot for your help!

former_member240758
Discoverer
0 Kudos
thanks alot, I am still following this.

Can you please let me know if two production environment can share the same license key, based on  CPU license purchased and how can we check  based on license the number of CPUs allowed other than CMC

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
Separate deployments should not share the same license key. You should request distinct keys for each environment from the SAP support portal.

I'm not aware of any other location in the product to show the licensed number of CPUs other than in the CMC.

- Blair

0 Kudos
Hi Blair,

We have the following and required clarification on this:

Version : BO 4.1
Named User : Unlimited
Concurrent  : Unlimmited
Processors : 350
Imported Users : 4000 +
Consumed Users : 250 to 300 (Normally users are viewers and don't utilize concurrent)
Production Reporting Tool : Web Intelligence
Will you please clarify on this as this is based on processor, is there any limitation on named users or concurrent users usage(If there is limitation of users then please let me know how many maximum Named users or concurrent sessions)

Thanks.

BR

Kashif

blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
A CPU license only limits the number of CPUs that the software can be deployed on. It does not limit the number of named users or CSBLs.

- Blair

Steve_S
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Blair, I have a few questions..

First, we purchased 111 Named User Licenses, and there are 4 (out of the box) users in the CMC (Administrator, Guest, QaaWSServicePrincipal, SMAdmin) three of which are disabled.

Do the "out of the box" users count against our 111 Named User Licenses?

So, can the "Out of the Box Admin" plus the 111 Named Users be logged in to the BI-Launchpad at the same time?

Also, you mentioned to another user: No – you do not need named user licenses to connect to BW.

Sorry if it's taken out of context..

But we have BW, and we use BOBJ to view reports against the BW Data.

Do we need to purchase the 111 Named users in/for BOBJ, and pay for the BW Accounts as well?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Steve
blair_wheadon
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Steve,

userid Administrator does not consume a license.

The other out of the box users (Guest, QaaWSServicePrincipal, SMAdmin) are disabled by default and use CSBLs by default. If you don't have CSBLs in your landscape you would have to reconfigure these to use one of the 111 named users if needed. The vast majority of customers do not need to use these users.

Licensed BOBJ users can access BW data without additional licensing (i.e. SAP Application named users). They can also be configured in BW to enforce data security. This includes both named users and concurrent sessions.

Thanks, Blair