Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisi
Advisor
Advisor
Over the past years, SAP Web IDE has helped customers develop and deliver business applications. These applications are being used by millions of end users, improving business processes for thousands of customers.

In parallel, SAP Business Application Studio, the successor of SAP Web IDE, which was released to customers almost two years ago, continues to evolve and is used by thousands of our customers today.

We have put a lot of effort into it, new capabilities and use cases. This has enabled us to bring SAP Business Application Studio to the state it is today – a modern, powerful state of the art development environment for business application developers. It offers pre-packaged solutions with essential tools for developing different types of applications, easy connectivity to SAP systems, quick integration to SAP solutions, productivity tools, and much more.

Watch this short video for a quick introduction of SAP Business Application Studio.

SAP Business Application Studio is packed with innovative tools, helping you to boost your development productivity.

Learn all about SAP Business Application Studio benefits and innovative offerings in our Info Blog.

Additionally, SAP Business Application Studio recently released a new set of tools, that allow users with minimal to no software development experience to develop business applications. Learn more about it here.

We are happy to invite you to migrate your SAP Web IDE applications to SAP Business Application Studio, and to plan your move to SAP Business Application Studio for your current and new developments.

Follow these links to learn how to migrate your applications from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio:

Migrate from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio

Migrate Fiori Apps

Migrate CAP Apps

To learn more about SAP Business Application Studio, visit our  Community Page and check out our tutorials.

You may also be interested in the differences between SAP Web IDE and SAP Business Application Studio

Visit the SAP Cloud Platform Discovery Center to learn about the licensing model for SAP Business Application Studio or purchase through the SAP store.

SAP Business Studio is also offered for evaluation purposes with the free plan, learn more about it here.

To summarize:

We are happy to invite you migrate your SAP Web IDE applications to SAP Business Application Studio. SAP Web IDE customers can continue using SAP Web IDE, it is still available and supported.

14 Comments
anandmuthu
Participant
0 Kudos
Is BTS now supported for On-Premise XSA ?
0 Kudos
Yes BTS is supported by XSA, even you can have the upgraded access as well.
anandmuthu
Participant
0 Kudos
Really it supports on-premise local installed XSA ? Previously BTS only supports HANA cloud. Do you have the link where I can download BTS for on-premise installation locally ?
RazK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi anandmuthu , phirastunt ,

Is the question about SAP BTP or SAP BAS?

For SAP BAS:

• It is only available as a cloud service.

• AFAIK, no support for SAP HANA on-premise.

Regards - Raz
RaminS
Participant
0 Kudos
No support for on-premise??

I thought we're supposed to migrate from Web IDE to BAS? The cloud-connector lets you deploy to the on-premise gateway.

Am I getting something wrong? Should we stay with Web IDE?
RaminS
Participant
0 Kudos
Elizabeth,

When I go through the WebIDE-to-BAS migration steps in the link you provided, the first step is to create a cloud Trial account.

We already have a client account under which we have been developing apps in Web IDE. Do we need to create a new Trial account?

If not, how can we use the existing cloud account. I don't seem to find any instructions about that.

Thank you.
RazK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi rshafaiottawa ,

BAS supports on-premise ABAP (ECC and S/4HANA), where cloud connector is used to deploy to the on-premise gateway.

Anand's question was about SAP HANA on-premise, where SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA should be used.

Regards - Raz
RazK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi rshafaiottawa ,

I recommend that you refer to the migration section in SAP Fiori tools documentation, which is complemented by Migrate Fiori Apps blog.

Regards - Raz
RaminS
Participant

Ok thanks raz.korn

After going through everything I could find about migration to BAS, I'm still not clear on whether this is possible/recommended for on-Premise scenarios.

All documents only talk about cloud-based environments. If we are on-premise, is it possible to migrate to BAS? How can we change our runtime environment from Neo to Cloud Foundry in the Gateway server?

Would appreciate advice on on-premise systems, as I can't find any.

Thanks

pramodu
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Very well described blog !!

We have Cloud Platform Neo Platform and Web IDE service is enabled from CP Neo cockpit . As of now Web IDE is in use of UI5 on prem development for us.

Do we have to move to BTP Cloud Foundry to avail BAS service ?  what steps need to follow to have BAS .

Thanks,

Pramod

RazK
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi pramodkumar.upadhyay2 ,

BAS service is available in SAP BTP, CF environment.

Since you already have an SAP BTP global account, the first step is to create a new subaccount in the cloud foundry environment within the global account. This step as well as the additional steps are described in the Getting Started section of the BAS Administrator Guide.

Note: BAS licensing is available both in subscription model as well as consumption models. SAP BTP commercial models are explained here.

Regards - Raz
pramodu
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks raz.korn

I do not have SAP BTP CF.  I have SAP Cloud Platform Neo with Web IDE.

Regards,

Pramod
Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi elizabeth.gutt

Thanks for the overview! Nice blog.

Question about development in SAP Process Orchestration.
In the past, there were some rumors in Belgium that SAP PO tooling would move to SAP BAS.

Any insights on that one?

thanks a lot.
Dimitri
hendrik_l
Explorer
0 Kudos
HI,

thanks for this overview blog post.

Are there any instructions available how to develop custom UI5 librarys (with dependencies to other custom librarys) in BAS and use them locally (from SAP BAS) without the need of deployment as it is easily possible in SAP WebIDE by using "Use my workspace first" option in the run configuration.

Or can we still stay at SAP WebIDE?

Best Regards

Hendrik