Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JuerMueller
Advisor
Advisor
Following up on our engaging Q&A session in February, I invite you to join me for another SAP Community Call on May 28 to continue our conversation.

This time I would like to share with you some of my main highlights around SAP Business Technology Platform so far this year. Looking ahead to SAPPHIRE NOW, I would also like to give you a sneak peek of what you can expect. Please also feel free to bring your questions to the call or post them already in the comment section below.

When: Friday, May 28

Time: 4:45 PM – 5:30 PM CEST

Register here

I’m looking forward to meeting you at the end of this month!

For more information on SAP Business Technology Platform, whether you are a customer, partner or developer, you can always visit the SAP BTP topic page to find out the latest and greatest.
16 Comments
gregorw
Active Contributor
Dear Jürgen,

thank you for providing another opportunity for the SAP Technology Community to get directly in touch with you. Here are my questions:

1. What is the status to Open Source the SAP Cloud Application Programming Model? Please check the blogpost from vobu at 6 reasons why SAP should open-source CAP for reference. Also daniel.hutzel stands behind this initiative.

2. What's the status on the SAP and Microsoft collaboration? As I have shown in Combine Power Automate, Microsoft Teams Approvals and an SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CA... the integration is already possible. But I would expect an official connector from SAP.

3. As SAP HANA is powering S/4HANA on Premise it needs to be around for the next 20 to 30 years. But my feeling is that the XSA part doesn't get much love anymore. With CAP applications that can also be deployed to XSA it got fresh blood. But the SAPUI5 release is far behind and Key User Flexibility Services are not available. What's the plan for XSA in the future?

4. When will the Free Tier for SAP BTP be released?

Best regards
Gregor
vobu
Active Contributor
^
|

what he said!!!
ceedee666
Active Contributor
+ 💯 to 👆 from me as well.
YI00427
Explorer
0 Kudos
What are the plans from SAP for Partner SaaS development on the BTP?
gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Martin,

it's already possible to develop Multitenant applications in the Cloud Foundry Environment. But perhaps you mean that this applications could be subscribed in existing Subaccounts of Customers?

Best regards
Gregor
YI00427
Explorer
Hello Gregor,

yes this is possible and on the last teched sap released the Architecture and Development Guide for Industry Cloud Solutions - SAP Help Portal 

This is very nice and a huge improvement. But there a some challenges.

That a subscription of a Cloud Foundry BTP SaaS Application can only be done in the own global account is one huge limitation.

That the hostname for the application is automaticly generated as an concationation of consumers organisation, provider organisation and space is another. Because of the limitation that the hostname can only be 65 characters long, there are no many characters left for the SaaS Application name.

And i miss some pratice advise, for a own SaaS CAP Application. For example for the release managemet of the SaaS Application.

I hope that Jürgen Müller has an update and some tipps for building SaaS Industry cloud solutions for us.

best regards

Martin

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Martin,

thank you for this clarification. Perhaps thomashertz can direct this questions to the right person so that Jürgen can give then the answers.

Best Regards
Gregor
Former Member
can we have the discord channel open during #sapphirenow this year again as well?
gregorw
Active Contributor
Maybe rsletta or is it rabsletta can comment on that question.
rsletta
Contributor
The SAP Online Track Discord is always open, and hopefully the community will find its way there. https://discord.gg/dhN336bGvj
gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Dear Jürgen,

two additional questions came to my mind in the meantime:

1. What other options beside the SAP BTP API Managment are offered to SAP Partners to meter their provided SaaS solution? Both Azure and AWS offer such solutions. It seems that SAP has an internal offered metering-service (see my comment). Would be great if BTP can offer such a service to SAP Partners.

Posting the question in two comments as only 7 links are allowed per comment.
gregorw
Active Contributor
here we go with the 2nd question:

Maybe this question is more in the responsibility of thomas.saueressig but I get it out there anyway: When will SAP update all released S/4HANA API's for OData V4? As suggested by andre.fischer in response to my blogpost Suggestion to reference the result of requests in subsequent requests of an OData $batch query the solution for my requirement would be the any / all query parameter that is supported in OData V4. Check out also the post from Mike Doyle: Is it time to switch to OData v4? and Maximiliano Colman: ODATA V4 APIs in Integration Suite – Wanted !.

Best Regards
Gregor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

I am just listing a few questions that I wish to know, I know you are busy 🙂 But I would still ask the same. 

1. When we have already iOS and Android SDK for mobile app development, why can not we go ahead with some that Apple did with swift for the UI on PC and other platforms a more refined WDA like approach or a next generation GUI. I am not asking this because I don't want to learn Fiori- but do u think UI annotations with CDS does the job is it simple elegant and most importantly is it full proof? Can we address all scenarios with that. Is it a really good software engineering practice.
  2. The CDS based ODATA is nice to have but is restricted only to what the CDS model can provide. Do you think it simply addresses everything. What was wrong with SEGW it gave the full power to create features that can not be mapped with CDS. CDS itself is a flawed concept for full featured programming model.
  3. When will u sort out the Fiori model using ODATA, BOPF and the RAP model. The only positive in RAP is how it defines and implements the behaviors because many found BOPF complex.
  4. In all the S/4 implementations I did (3 so far) no one wants to use Fiori. What holds the ABAP team back to create next gen UI on SAP GUI with personas and all. Why do we need to force feed everything on UI5 when the real world adoption is still low where customer has a choice they still stick to SAP GUI, WDA etc.
  5. As developers we want consistency learning things is not bad but does it makes sense to support multiple models of development, multiple ways to handle a simple thing as ODATA, multiple apps with multiple technology stacks.
  6. You partnered with Apple who are known for simplicity- they make powerful software with simple elegant tools, We need that from you SAP-  99.9% of the real developers working on SAP systems who are not celebrities want simple powerful, aligned tools that are consistent. Give us the tools like SEGW and we will build you beautiful services, give us the power of BOPF or the new RAP BO but make sure that this is final and is ported on all releases, Let us ABAPers build beautiful UIs on nextgen GUI or next gen WDA and if u feel no ABAP must be relegated to backend let it be loud and clear but don't give us creepy annotations keep the UI and backend clean and segregated. UI annotations with CDS based development model is not  what we do daily at customers life is not so easy where u take 5 tables all with foreign key relations no further loops or reads of no data manipulation, if it was so easy everyone would have been doing what we do and RAP fails to  deliver on that
  7. We need a dedicated developer trail account that we can use to explore and learn not something restricted to n days and then I loose everything
  8. Please see the current stage of SAP online documentation most links are broken and the quality is going down.
  9. BTP is a beautiful name and marketing may come with new names in future but please elaborate to us developer- what are the precise offerings and go to services in more accessible way. So that we can advise our customers properly.
  10. ABAP PaaS is so restricted again the points above- why can't you allow us the ability to package 3rd party developer apps on SAP appstore- why only big companies, why not us individually.

Thanks and Regards,

Prasenjit

0 Kudos
Dear Jürgen,

Is XSA dead ? , what is the future for XSA , Hana Native Development ?

Best Regards
UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
For many new basis features (ABAP Test Cockpit) and ABAP statement enhancements you need at least NW 7.52. But this NW stack is nowhere used. Why not finally build an EHP9 with at least NW7.52 which could be used until EOL of ECC?
Former Member
0 Kudos
Absolutely yes why not allow the ABAP innovations when you extended ECC EOL and may be you will extend again !