Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

SAP had removed optional dual stack as useful deployment option already quite some time ago – but so far, only for optional dual-stack setups, while there were still some exceptions for mandatory dual-stack setups even in higher releases, such as with SAP NetWeaver 7.4. There, SAP Process Integration (SAP PI) still is (and will remain) a mandatory dual-stack system and the system provisioning procedures, such as installation and system copy, offer corresponding procedures also to handle those dual-stack systems.

With SAP NetWeaver 7.5, this now changes: as of this release, also SAP PI no longer is a dual-stack system, so no dual-stack systems are supported in this release – without exception.

This has implications about how you install SAP PI systems with release 7.5 or higher and about how you upgrade to such releases, as outlined below.

Installation of SAP PI 7.5 and higher

As a consequence, compared to previous releases, the standard installation of SAP PI 7.5 and higher does no longer install a dual-stack system, but consists of two installation procedures: one for a separate ABAP stack and one for a separate Java stack (besides the option to install the Advanced Adapter Engine Extended, which is based on AS Java only - for more information about SAP Process Integration release recommendations, see SAP Note 1515223). In detail:

• First, you perform the installation of ‘Application Server ABAP for SAP Process Integration’, as offered by Software Provisioning Manager: there, also Java users for the Application Server Java (AS Java) for the SAP PI system are created and the ABAP system is prepared to get connected to the AS Java system.

• Second, you perform the installation of ‘Application Server Java for SAP Process Integration’, also as offered by Software Provisioning Manager: there, the ‘Application Server Java for SAP Process Integration’ system uses the User Management Engine (UME) of the ‘Application Server ABAP for SAP Process Integration‘ system that you must have installed before (as outlined in the previous step).

Upgrade to SAP PI 7.5 SP1

After upgrading to SAP PI 7.5 SP1, you first have to split the still existing dual-stack system before you can use it productively – for this, the standard dual-stack split procedure that exists for quite some time now also supports SAP PI 7.5 SP1 and higher.

For more information about the dual-stack split procedure, see the Dual-Stack Split page in SAP Community Network and the dual-stack split guide available at http://service.sap.com/sltoolset - Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 - Documentation - Software Provisioning - Dual-Stack Split: Systems Based on SAP NW 7.1 and Higher.

Outlook at SAP Solution Manager 7.2

As you maybe know, also SAP Solution Manager 7.0 and 7.1 systems are mandatory dual-stack systems. With SAP Solution Manager 7.2, this is also planned to be changed. Also for these systems, we plan to extend the support of our reliable dual-stack split procedure. Expect to get more information as soon as the ramp-up of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 has started.

17 Comments
sam_venkat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Can the split stack PI Java (AEX) be converted into a PO system after EOLing the ABAP stack in future?

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Sam,

For more information about a migration of SAP PI content to real single-stack objects (independent from actual technical system layout underneath), see:

Best regards,

Boris

sam_venkat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Boris, yes I am aware of the procedures you mentioned. But my question is on the technical system layout perspective. In future if I want to EOL ABAP and make it a Java-only PI (AEX) is it possible?  I realize the UME will have to be repointed from ABAP to LDAP. Are there any technical constraints to doing this?

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To my knowledge, unfortunately, there is currently no official procedure to move from ABAP UME to LDAP - maybe there are some experienced consultants that offer a project solution, but I would not be aware of an official path here. Therefore, if you want to EOL the ABAP part in your scenario, I guess you would have to migrate to SAP PO. At least this is my understanding for the time being...

javier_alcubilla
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Boris, good blog.

We have a doubt about PI 7.5  installation that is very confusing in documentation.

We want to install a PI 7.5 java only (not PO).

Which is the option?

Optional StandAlone Units ->  Advanced Adapter Engine Extended?

Thanks in advance

Javi

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Javi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Yes, SAP PI 7.5 Java only would be the Advanced Adapter Engine Extended. There is the option to install AS Java for SAP PI 7.5, but this is only intended to work in combination with the AS ABAP stack for SAP PI (former dual-stack system), not standalone. This is outlined in the SAP PI documentation in section Installation Options (the term "dual usage type installation" for the other installation option is a little bit misleading from my point of view, as it comprises of two systems with two instalations, but the main point is that it just means that you require both an AS Java and an AS ABAP system to work).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Boris

0 Kudos
In NW PI 7.5 onwards, Is ABAP stack a pre-requisite for Java stack? I suppose not, yet need confirmation..

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Kasi,

Yes, SAP Process Integration 7.5 still requires both stacks and as the special installation option for the AS Java system for SAP PI in Software Provisioning Manager tries to re-use the User Management Engine of the AS ABAP, the installation of the AS ABAP has to be performed as prerequisite for this option.

Please be aware of the option to install Advanced Adapter Engine Extended, which is based on AS Java only in addition to install SAP PI, as outlined in the text above as well. For this, AS ABAP would not be required.

Best regards,
Boris
ian_black
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Javi,

How did you get on with this?

I too would like to install a JAVA only PI 7.5 system on HANA, I'm a little shocked to see I appear to be getting forced into having an ABAP UME for this.

Regards
Ian.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hello boris.zarske

Great Article, I have question regarding the installation order of PI 7.5 ABAP & Java from  starch, On our company we are planning to install new fresh PI 7.5 System and then migrate the old interfaces & ccBPM to new system.

This is the right order??

1. Install OS system (In our case Windows Server 2016)

2. Install Oracle Software 12.2.0.1.0 + Bundle patchs

3. Install Application Server ABAP for SAP Process Integration Vanilla (SAP_Basis 7.50 patch 0)

1. Preform the post-install for the ABAP system (SGEN / Client copy/ Etc)  excepted the phase Configuring the Process Integration System After the Installation

4. Install Application Server Java for SAP Process Integration  Vanilla ( 7.50 patch 0)

1. Preform the post-install for the Java system  excepted the phase Configuring the Process Integration System After the Installation

5. SUM -> Upgrade ABAP to newest version SP13

6. SUM -> Upgrade Java to newest version SP13

7. ABAP CTC wizard

8. Java CTC wizard

This is right??

Thanks

Aviv Cohen
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Aviv,

looks like a good plan.

Make sure you consider all recommendations in the documentation for the installation.
Best Regards

Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM

0 Kudos
Hello Borris,

Is it possible that we do a fresh installation of PI 7.5 (dual usage system) i.e. ABAP & JAVA installation and then migrate our PI connections, data from our existing PI 7.31 (dual stack system) ?

Or we have to upgrade the existing PI 7.3 and split ?

Thanks & Regards,

Premjit
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Premjit,

I talked to the PI experts and they told me that you can migrate your PI connections from 7.3 to 7.5 via export / import and then need to adapt the channels manually.

If you do upgrade to PI 7.5 and then split, the connections etc. should be available directly.
Best Regards

Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

Thank you for responding back to my query !!

So if that's the case then , we can use the same approach if we install PO 7.5 (Java stack only) , instead of PI 7.5, Correct ?

Regards,

Premjit
rasjoshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Boris Zarske,

We are planning to upgrade SAP PI 7.11 to SAP PO7.5 (Dual Stack).

We have ccBPM interfaces in our landscape.

From the article what I understood is, we can upgrade system as two SIDs (ABAP and Java).

However, my concern is ccBPM interfaces, will my ccBPM interfaces still work with 2 different SIDs?

Post upgrade, do I need to take any action to make them work?

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Regards,

Rashmi

SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
Hello Joshi,

in case you go for a dual-usage type upgrade, ccBPM continues to be supported.

You can continue to operate your current ccBPM processes after the upgrade.
Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi
Product Management CLM

rasjoshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi stefan.jakobi

Do I need to maintain any RFC destination or any other background configurations I need to take care?

How messages from ccBPM will reach my PO system and vice versa?

Regards,

Rashmi