Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

This is the first blog of the blog series about Remote Code Analysis in ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC).

See also blogs:

ATC Introduction

For those of you, who are using Code Inspector (SCI) and are not familiar with ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC) yet, it is SAP’s central quality assurance infrastructure for static functional, performance and security code checks, which bundles together the well-known and widely used quality tools like syntax check, SLIN, ABAP Unit, security checks and is extensible for your custom checks. ATC reuses Code Inspector checks and significantly improves the code quality by offering the uniform quality criteria for the whole development landscape and establishing new quality assurance processes (quality gates, exemptions, mass regression tests) to minimize errors in productive systems. Beyond this ATC is the toolset of choice to achieve the smooth migration of ABAP code to SAP HANA and SAP S/4HANA by means of special SAP HANA and SAP S/4HANA checks.

A very good general overview about ATC is in the blog ABAP Test Cockpit – an Introduction to SAP’s new ABAP Quality Assurance Tool. ATC is also integrated in the ABAP Development Tools in Eclipse (ABAP Test Cockpit for Developers in Eclipse).

Limitations

Imagine you have older systems (SAP_BASIS >= 7.00) with your own custom code base and would like to execute the latest security checks and SAP S/4HANA readiness checks for your custom code in order to get compliant to the increased corporate security requirements and prepare your code for the SAP S/4HANA migration.

One problem is, the ATC is only available with SAP_BASIS 7.02 therefore it isn’t present in your older systems at all. Another problem is, to apply uniform quality criteria for all your systems, the same checks must be in every system you want to check, that is not the case in heterogeneous landscapes with SAP_BASIS 7.02, 7.40, 750 and so on: every release has different checks. Besides this, the security checks are only available for SAP_BASIS 7.02 and the newest checks, e.g. for SAP S/4HANA readiness are only available with the SAP NetWeaver AS for ABAP 7.51 innovation package. Therefore it looks like you cannot apply the checks at all.

In fact, the way to tackle this problem is not easy: you need to upgrade the whole system landscape to the latest SAP release and support package level and run ATC with the latest checks on each upgraded system. It means on the one side a big administration overhead, on the other side the upgrade might neither be intended currently at your company nor possible at all. As a consequence, the compliance with the increased corporate security requirements cannot be verified and your custom code cannot be prepared for the SAP S/4HANA.

Solution - Remote Code Analysis in ATC

So, how to apply the newest checks to all your systems in SAP landscape without having to upgrade each of them?

Starting with the SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.51 innovation package SAP customers and partners can perform remote code analysis in ATC which allows to analyze remotely with the latest checks custom code even in older systems using only one system for ATC (SAP_BASIS >= 7.51).

You would need to set up one centralized SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.51 or 7.52 (SAP_BASIS only) system as ATC check system and run ATC with the latest checks centrally in one system checking multiple systems in your landscape. You don’t need to upgrade your whole system landscape and can apply the latest checks.

For the problematic use case from above it means, by setting up one central ATC check system using remote code analysis, you can apply the latest security checks and SAP S/4HANA readiness checks for your whole system landscape.

Setup

All you need to do is to install and configure one ATC central check system: pure SAP Basis System (SAP_BASIS >=7.51) within your SAP system landscape. ATC check variant is maintained only in the ATC central check system and must be RFC-enabled.

During ATC execution the central check system accesses remotely the systems in your landscape through so-called Remote stubs using RFC connection. Remote stubs serve as interface between ATC central check system and checked systems and return a model from custom code which needs to be checked.

See the blog Remote Code Analysis in ATC - Technical Setup Step by Step for more details.

PLEASE NOTE: not all central ATC checks can be run against all releases in your system landscape. As an example, ATC checks for ABAP CDS don’t make sense on older releases. You have to check carefully whether the checks used will work against the release.

Advantages

The advantages of using ATC remote code analysis are obvious:

• Small impact on existing system landscape: no upgrade to the latest SAP release necessary
    • The central check system can be installed independently with low effort (no upgrade, no test for business processes)
    • One ATC central system can be used to check multiple SAP systems
    • Latest checks can be applied by upgrading the central check system only.
    • One quality standard for the whole system landscape possible, independent of uses releases in the development systems
    • All new checks will be implemented by SAP only in new releases
    • Administrative tasks only in the central system, e.g. maintain check variant
    • Centralized handling of exemptions
    • Baseline concept in case you want to suppress the findings from old legacy code

159 Comments
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

I’m installing the CCLM + ATC in my Solution manager 7.2 SP7, following the guide:

In the Custom Code Management Step à Set Up Custom Code Management

When activating the Development ERP system (C12) in Expert Activation mode

I get this error with the ATC TOOL, and it does not let me activate the Extractor Quality (ATC)

The C12 system is an ERP 6.0 version EHP4 / NW 701

I understand that the problem is in my version, as you indicate in your post:

https://blogs.sap.com/2016/12/12/remote-code-analysis-in-atc-one-central-check-system-for-multiple-s...,

C12 should be at least a NW 702 true?

That's why I'm not allowed to activate the ACT TOOL because the ATC transaction does not exist in C12?

We have also installed an NW752 SP3 to make it serve as Central Check System, from this Central ATC if we can execute remote code analysis in ATC in older systems as my ERP 6.0 NW 701 is this true?

I understand that it is true, as you indicate in your post:

What is not clear to me is how to configure the Solman 7.2 + NW 752 to be able to launch the remote code analisys ATC in my Satellite Systems?

I have not found any guide that clarifies how to make this configuration.

The only thing that I found in the manual of CCLM, these two scenarios for the Quality Cockpit, I understand that we should install and configure the Scenario 2, right? But I do not know how to do it?

All the information that I have found is to configure the CCLM + ATC in a Solution Manager 7.2 or an ATC Central System to launch remote code analysis in ATC against the Satellite Systems, but I have not found anything that indicates how to configure the Scenario 2 that I understand is the right one for my infrastructure, right?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Jordi Arnau.

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Jordi Arnau,

yes, you've got it right: to activate ATC from CCLM your SAP ERP system must have ATC (and ATC is not available in NW 7.01).

In order to set up the Scenario 2 you proceed in same way as for Scenario 1 with the difference, that you first setup the central ATC check system with remote code analysis and then connect this central check system to CCLM. The procedure for setting this up is the same as in Scenario 1, just you connect the central ATC check system instead of satelite system to CCLM.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

Thanks for answering so fast

When you say "first setup the central ATC check system with remote code analysis" what do you mean exactly?

The central ATC verification system is already connected to the CCLM:

but I get error 2 collectors, the Quality (ATC) and the Similarity:

Do you know how I can solve these mistakes?

I understand that until these two errors are solved I will not be able to get reports in the CCLM, right?

Thank's.

Jordi Arnau.

0 Kudos

Hi Jordi,

let me explain the scenario 2 in the slide you show.

In your case the system ATC is the evaluation system (ATC-Hub) which remotely checks your code in your development system. Solution manger needs in this case to be connect to your development system to extract the data to Solution Manager and then CCLM needs to collect the information into CCLM for this system, especially the objects are extracted from this system into Solution Manager and from there CCLM will collect the objects into CCLM tables.

If you now would like to get the information of the remote ATC checks running in your system called “ATC” you need to extract the ATC data from system “ATC” into Solution Manager (although the check are running on code of your dev system) this is working correctly. See your screenshot: -> green light in Operation Status Details -> Exctractor Status for Quality (ATC) for system “ATC”.

Now the remote ATC is extracted to Solution Manager, but it is running not for system “ATC” but for your dev system. There is no need to collect now this information into CCLM, as the remote check is an information not for system “ATC”. If you would now activate the ATC collector for CCLM it is not working, as there is no ATC run for system “ATC” itself. Error message: No ATC results found … for system ATC” that’s correct as the results are for the dev system.

In CCLM you can use these results for you dev system in the quality cockpit. There is no specific report showing these results. You can use the quality cockpit now to monitor the results of the remote ATC, but you have to set this up for you dev system, as the objects are only in your dev system and not in “ATC”. CCLM is able to connect the objects of the dev system to an ATC analysis which was done in a hub system and is able to treat the results in the same way as they would have been executed directly in the dev system.

As “ATC is an hub-system there is no need to set up any additional extractors and collector for CCLM, as you are not interested on the custom code objects of your hub-system itself, I assume. So ignore the red light of the similarity collector and even more if you are not interested in the custom code of system “ATC” just stop all other collectors and extractors (not the quality ones) for system “ATC”. They are not needed for a hub-system.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Thomas Fischer

0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your great explanation of Scenario 2.

From what I have understood, the current configuration that I have in the Solution Manager for the ATC and DEV systems (C12) is the correct?

In C12 I see that this warning appears in the Collector Criticality that I do not know if it can affect?

What I have not understood is the part where you say "If you would like to get the information of the remote ATC checks running in your system called" ATC "you need to extract the ATC date from system" ATC "into Solution Manager" ?

The ATC-Hub environment is already connected to it through Trusted RFC with respect to the DEV environment (C12), so I understand that it is well configured.

I have a question about how I should configure the Basic Settings option.
Is this configuration correct for the ATC-HUB?

Best regards.

Jordi Arnau.

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jordi,

basic settings are relevant only for the ATC in this system, but not relevant for ATC Hub scenario. For setting up ATC Hub properly please refer to https://blogs.sap.com/2016/12/13/remote-code-analysis-in-atc-technical-setup-step-by-step/

Regards,

Olga.

0 Kudos
Hi Jordi,

From Solution Manager perspective you can ignore the warnings for the criticality collector for C12. Criticality is not need in the ATC scenario. Criticality is only needed for one of the dimensions of the City Model in CCLM.

To get the results of the remote analysis from system ATC, you need to connect ATC to the Solution Manager and define the RFCs from Solution Manager to ATC. In addition you need to go through the CCM set-up for ATC as well, but just start the Quality(ATC() extractor for ATC (no collector needed). This is needed to extractor the ATC results from ATC to Solution Manager.

Best regards,

Thomas Fischer

0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

We followed the link and we were able to configure the ATC Hub correctly.

Thank’s.

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

We have connected the ATC Hub remote system to the Solman and configured the CCM for ATC, the extractors are correctly configured:

Schedule Run has been successfully launched, but right now the result is only visible from the SE80 -> ATC Result Browser:

We have created a new project in the Quality Cockpit with the same variant that we created in the ATC Hub (HANA_C12) and we do not obtain any results:

Generate Jobs and execute correctly:

but it does not process any object:

Can you help us?

Best Regards.

Jordi Arnau.
0 Kudos
Hi Jordi,

from a customizing and set-up perspective it looks good. Without knowing and analyzing your set-up in detail I will not be able to judge what might be wrong.

If you need help for the set-up please ask for a consultant to support or if you think this is a bug in the quality cockpit, please create a customer message. This will allow our support to have a closer look directly into your system.

Best regards,

Thomas Fischer

former_member574891
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas And Olga,

We have check system running SAP_BASIS 751 release and the system to be checked on SAP_BASIS 740 0007.

Is it possible to configure remote ATC check?
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Javed,

yes, you can. Remote code analysis with ATC is possible since SAP_BASIS 751.

Best regards,

Olga.
0 Kudos
Hi Olga & Thomas,

I could solve the problem that the job did not get results, in the end the problem was in the user with which we created the Project in the Solman, the user was only created in the Solman and in the ATC, but it was not created in the Backend (C12), when creating a new project with a user that is created in the three environments, the job has already processed objects.

Now we have a problem with the Quality within the City Model, all the Custom Code appear as N/A:

In the Usage section, if we have information:

The only Extractor that does not give error in C12 is that of References, can this be the problem?

Best Regards.

Jordi Arnau.

0 Kudos
Hi Jordi,

for the city model we only count quality information which comes from an ATC master run. Maybe there is no ATC master run defined in the system.

You can find a lot of information for CCLM in our best practices and demo block: https://blogs.sap.com/2016/11/18/custom-code-management_best-practices-demos/

for CCLM please check especially: https://www.sap.com/documents/2018/02/1cf642a2-f47c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html

If you need help for the implementation, there are different options depending on your support contract:

• For Premium Engagement customers we can deliver services to support the CCLM installation.

• For Enterprise Support customer you can post questions like this in the Value Map and you will get help from experts.

• For Standard Support, unfortunately CCLM is not part of this contract and cannot be used at all

For Bugs, please create a customer message.

Thanks,

Thomas

antonio_steinhuser
Participant
0 Kudos
Thx

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Olga

We have a situation where we are moving custom objects from a 7.50 system to S/4 1809 and there is code that references the data element VERI_LRAW. This is missing in 1809 but not picked up in a scan using check variant S4HANA_READINESS_1809.

Should this be picked up or is there another variant that will?

Thanks

Ian
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Ian,

the SVER SAP BASIS package (with VERI_LRAW inside) is intended for testing purposes. It was shipped to customers within ERP by accident and should not be used in custom code at all. Currently VERI_LRAW is not yet in the Simplification DB, therefore the S4HANA_READINESS_1809 doesn't detect it. You have two options:

1. look for all usages of VERI_LRAW on the "old" 7.50 system and adjust.

2. get syntax errors on S/4 1809 and correct them there.

Regards,

Olga.
IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for the explanation Olga

Regards

Ian
karthik_sapalm
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

We are planning SAP S/4HANA readiness checks for whole system landscape and start checking Central hub ATC configuration. Especially while retrofit development team need Central hub ATC check- in ChaRM. How to integrated Central hub ATC in CHaRM.

It is mandatory to have Central hub ATC  instead of ATC run directly in the managed system for ChaRM Retrofit check?

Rg,

Karthik

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Karthik,

see https://blogs.sap.com/2016/12/22/remote-code-analysis-in-abap-test-cockpit-atc-faq/#_Toc470164257

and Solution Manager Guide (page 45) https://www.sap.com/documents/2018/02/1cf642a2-f47c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html

If you want to use central ATC hub for S/4HANA readiness, then you should also integrate this ATC system into ChaRM.

Regards,

Olga.
antonio_steinhuser
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Olga,

if i only want to migrate the database from Oracle to HANA, (no change to S/4HANA!).

Which variant should i use in the ATC system to check my Abap code?

Gruß
Toni
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Toni,

FUNCTIONAL_DB and FUNCTIONAL_DB_ADDITION.

Best Regards,

Olga.
antonio_steinhuser
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks,
it's very great how fast you always answer.

Gruß
Toni
karthik_sapalm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

How to integrate the Central ATC system to ChaRM? I am not able to find the details on it
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Karthik,

please take a look at these SAP notes:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2590595

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2525636

Regards,

Olga.
fagrilli
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear Olga thank you for your interesting blog.

I have a question regarding where to set up the ATC, we have a S4 HANA 1909 demo machine where we are testing the application components and processes. Our Techies propose to use same machine to be used for central ATC. As I read sap note 2190420  I am in doubt if the "simplification database" could affect any other application and it is better to have a dedicate AS Abap only for the scope. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Fabio
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Fabio,

the S/4HANA 1909 demo machine can be used as a central ATC system, the Simplification Database won't affect any applications. It is just the DB table with information about S/4HANA simplifications.

Best regards,

Olga.
fagrilli
Explorer
0 Kudos
thank you
joachimrees1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I, too, come across this message quite often - it seems to be a generic one that can mean many things: https://answers.sap.com/questions/13355272/atc-check-whats-with-dynpro-area-1-99-usability-ch.html
matthias_alk
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

first of all, thank you for your informative blog entries.

We are currently facing following issue while using our central ATC system for a remote check on one of our customer development system.

Exception: CX_XSLT_RUNTIME_ERROR

Description: Kein gültiger Quellkontext angegeben. Include: CL_ABAP_SYMBOL

All prerequisites are met (I checked it), but we're still getting the exception shown in the screenshot and we are not having the same issue on other runs for different customers.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in regards! Matthias
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Matthias,

you could try to install the SAP Note 2527903 (in central ATC check system) and the SAP Note 2270689 (in the checked system). Maybe it could solve your problem. Otherwise please open a ticket to the BC-ABA-LA component to get it investigated, since in that case it is not the ATC problem.

Kind Regards,

Olga.

sunny_dhama
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Matthias,

Were you able to solve the problem? I am also having same issues in one of our systems. ATC works fine for other systems.

Thanks
bernhard_wolf3
Explorer
Hi All,

many thanks to Olga who gave us the decisive clue.

After downloading and re-implementing SAP Note 2527903 in the central ATC check system the issue with Exception CX_XSLT_RUNTIME_ERROR was solved.

Best regards
Gilmour213
Explorer
Hello,
we want to Update our Central ATC Server to S/4 HANA because we are not able to connect the actual Version Netweaver 7.72 SP04 to our new S/4 HANA Development Systems 05/2021 SAP BASIS 7.55 SP02.
We got an Error which tells us that the version of our Central ATC Server is to low.
I think there are 2 Options :

1. Usage of the Cloud based Central ATC
2. Upgrade / New Setup of a Central ATC Server based on S/4 HANA

We have implemented several own written ATC Checks which we are using. Additionally we use the Central ATC Server today to avoid Task Release of Tasks which contain Errors Priority 1 or 2. Our Preference is to use the Central ATC Server in the Future as a On Premise System.

Now the Quesion : Is there a possibility to convert the existing ATC System into a S/4 System ?

If not , what is the Solution for this ?

Best regards

Mario Kopp
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Mario,

just answered your question today here: https://blogs.sap.com/2019/09/23/abap-custom-code-analysis-using-sap-cloud-platform/comment-page-1/#...

Kind Regards,

Olga.
0 Kudos
Hi all,

I have the Exception: CX_XSLT_RUNTIME_ERROR too, and all the prerequisites and the notes you're takling about are done.

I can see in debug mode that some xml proccessed by the method GET_SYMBOL_ENTRY of the class  CL_ABAP_SYMBOL are bad encoded, uri is missing.

I can't find any note or others topic about it.

Have you an idea ?
cesar_gr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi olga.dolinskaja

great and detailed blogs.

we have the same error that Laurent Caillarrd says in previous comments

ATC errors

We implement the related notes:2527903,2364916, 2436688

but the error persists and there aren't any note about it

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? o how to fix it?

Regards!

cesar_gr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi laurent

Were you able to correct this error? We have the same situation in a conversion project.

Regards!
cesar_gr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi
in my case, we had to clean the ATC cache, because we had run another scheduled run about 1 years ago

Clean cache:

check system

1- note 2527903

2-RS_ABAP_COMP_CLEAN_DB_ENTRIES with P_FORCE = X.

checked system

1-Execute report RS_ABAP_DELETE_ANALYSIS.

Regards!
former_member781502
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Dear Olga,

thank you very much for this great blog.

I have a question regarding the mininum NW Stack requirement for the specific checks.

For S/4HANA Checks it is recommended to do it remotely with a system at least on AS ABAP >= 7.51

What are the requirements for the HANA DB Checks (FUNCTIONAL_DB and FUNCTIONAL_DB_ADDITION)? In my example, we have a system based on NW 7.40 SP 05. The checks are existing, but I am wondering, if they are in the latest version.

Can we run the checks directly in this system, or do we have to set up a remote check system on a higher release?

Would appreciate your suggestion.

Thank you

BR
Serdar
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Serdar,

if you want to check for SAP HANA readiness the same NW 7.40 SP05 system, you can execute the FUNCTIONAL_DB and FUNCTIONAL_DB_ADDITION checks locally on this system.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
I355602
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

Using NW7.40 SP05 system, will ATC be able to scan the custom code base completely, as many of the ATC functionalities are available in NW7.52 or higher ?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Tarun Gambhir
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Tarun,

of course in the 7.40 SP05 system the ATC can be used with the feature scope, available in this release, e.g. in the 7.52 the coverage of custom code by ATC was improved like scanning all custom code in Enhancements, Modifications, Customer EXITs, Smart Forms etc.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
Girwar
Participant
0 Kudos
May I know the roadmap for ATC? Will SAP Extended the CVA as standard service in ATC or it continue to be a licensed service. CVA is too expensive compare to other tools in market for custom checks and security is critical component, that is making a tough situation for customers.

Another query is about ATC HANA version. Latest ATC release only supports HANA DB. Do we need to have HANA DB license or not required like SOLMAN HANA Database is not counted in license.
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Girwar,

CVA on-premise is licensed, CVA without license fee is available in SAP BTP ABAP Environment, see the blog https://blogs.sap.com/2020/08/14/abap-test-cockpit-in-the-cloud-what-is-already-possible/.

What do you mean with the "latest version"? ATC is part of ABAP Platform (SAP_BASIS) and if you use it in SAP NetWeaver 7.52 standalone for example, then it can be run on any DB, which is supported by the SAP NetWeaver 7.52, if you have SAP S/4HANA stack, then you need a valid license for SAP S/4HANA. In addition, SAP S/4HANA customers can use a S/4HANA foundation test system to setup an ABAP Test Cockpit hub for remote checks.

Kind Regards,

Olga.

Girwar
Participant
0 Kudos

We are trying to connect EWM on S/4 HANA for ATC check.

From the log message, it mentioned that the SAP_BASIS release (on S/4 EWM) is not supported as the SAP_BASIS component has higher version 754, where ATC system just SAP_BASIS 752.

As per SAP, ATC system need to be upgraded on higher version like 754. And the 754 version is only supporting HANA. HANA DB has associated license cost and HW cost.

What your recommendation for our scenario with minimal additional cost to manage ATC check for legacy Netweaver and latest S/4 components.

Appreciate your timely response. Thank you so much.
OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Girwar,

yes, the central ATC check system is only able to check the systems of lower or same release, therefore the recommendation is to upgrade the ATC system to the highest release, which you maintain in your landscape. As I already said: you need a valid SAP S/4HANA license for any system >7.52. You can also use SAP S/4HANA Foundation as a central ATC check system, if you have a valid license for any of the add-ons, listed in the 3015497 - SAP S/4HANA FOUNDATION 2021: Release Information Note.

Kind Regards,

Olga.
former_member561546
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

Your blogs are helping me a lot to set the QA process in our system.

Could you please let me know a best practice approach in below scenario.

In our case developments are done in

1. S4HANA 2020 On-premise system

a. Classic Extensiblity using Standard ABAP

b. In-App Extensibility using Restricted ABAP / Cloud Ready / Clean Core

We are setting up ATC directly embedded in this S4HANA Development system.

ATC allows only ONE Check Variant as default. So if we include all Standard ABAP + Cloud Readiness checks in this Check Variant, we will end up having unnecessary errors for Standard ABAP code and too many exemption requests.

How to achieve ATC for both versions (Standard ABAP + Restricted ABAP) in one system and tied to one Check variant.

2. Also we are doing Side-by-Side Extensions via BTP ABAP Environment connected to our S4 on-prem.

Then for BTP RAP Artifacts, the ATC check has to be set up separately in the BTP ABAP Environment ?

Thank you

Regards,

Midhun.

OlgaDolinskaja
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Midhun,

1. You have to maintain 2 check variants, it is not possible to run different check in the same check variant, it would contradict the definition and meaning of the check variant

2. You need to set up  ATC checks in the SAP BTP ABAP Environment

Kind Regards,

Olga.
former_member561546
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Olga,

Thank you for the response.

It means if the "ATC checks on Transport Release" is set up, then we can choose/default only one Check variant (for ex: check variant for "Std. ABAP").
And the Check Variant for "Cloud Readiness" have to be executed manually or scheduled separately.

If I still ponder over the single Check Variant approach, 🙂
We have segregated the code for "Std. ABAP" and "Restricted ABAP" in different packages, I was checking the following "clean" possibilities,

if Priority of Checks can be modified for certain Packages / Objects
- Not possbile in SCI and its at system level

if via BADI, Priority of Checks can be modified for certain Objects / Packages
- BADI_SATC_SAP_FINDING_CNV -> IF_SATC_BADI_SAP_FINDING_CNV~ADJUST_FINDING can do it, but unfortunately this is only for SAP internal use

If this can be handled via Exemption process
- Yes, Cloud readiness checks can be exempted for certain Packages

But as you said these would defeat the purpose. We will never be able to perform Cloud Readiness for these exempted packages, even if we wanted to.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Midhun.