Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

(latest update April, 2020)

SAP Business Client 6.0 was the new name* for the latest version of SAP NetWeaver Business Client in 2018 (not anymore, current version is 7.0, PL10)

*not new anymore = out of support

Current information see here:

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/02/20/the-sap-fiori-launchpad-in-sap-business-client/

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/03/31/new-major-release-is-on-the-way-sap-business-client-7.70/

With SAP Business Client 6.0 for the first time you can launch SAP GUI  transactions directly from the SAP Fiori Launchpad (using the embedded SAP GUI for Windows)! Other clients by default launch SAP GUI for HTML.

This blog also includes links to videos showing  how to add a SAP GUI for Windows tile to the integrated SAP Fiori launchpad (+configuration of RFC destinations in case you are using remote system).

Prerequisites

There are back-end dependencies for the full usage of the SAP Fiori launchpad connection which is related to SAP Fiori launchpad resources on the front-end server. To be able to render transactions with SAP GUI for Windows, the front-end server requires at least User Interface Add-On 2.0 SP01 for SAP NetWeaver or SAP_UI 750 SP01 (latter already included in your NW 7.40 license*).

We recommend to always install the latest version of the SAP Fiori Front-End Server to simplify the implementation of SAP Fiori Apps and to run the SAP Fiori launchpad within SAP BC on the ABAP stack.

*UI-Add-On only needed for older releases as e.g. 7.0 up to 7.31. A successsor version of UI Add-On is not planned. More information see in the following very useful blog by Oliver Stiefbold: SAP Fiori Front-end Server Installation Guide

Backend system requirements are also described in the documentation, chapter Business Client Versions, on SAP Help Portal.

SAP GUI for Windows 7.40.

Relevant SAP Notes

Software, operating system and browser requirements as well as restrictions are listed in SAP Note 2227396. Planned release dates for the next patch can be found in SAP Note 2227431.

SAP GUI for Windows cannot be started, Business Client will start SAP GUI for HTML instead? See note 2318483

Documentation

SAP Business Client on SAP Help Portal.

SAP Business Client 6.0 – The Next Generation of NWBC Integrating Fiori Launchpad

Download

Download SAP BC latest version for free on SAP Service Marketplace: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/softwarecenter,

then search in A-Z Index under B (NETWEAVER BUSINESS CLIENT)

Installation

SAP Business Client 6.0 Setup

For the efficient distribution of SAP Business Client across workstations we strongly recommand to set up an Installation Server. More information see SAP Front End Installation Guide.

What's New

SAP Business Client offers an integration of the SAP Fiori launchpad (FLP) to allow a unified SAP Fiori user experience. The end user can click on a tile in the FLP to open an SAP GUI transaction.

Integration of the SAP Fiori Launchpad:

• Launch SAP GUI transactions using embedded SAP GUI for Windows

• SAP Fiori Launchpad as start page

• Additional system connection type (Fiori connection)**

• Business role configuration purely SAP Fiori Launchpad-based

Other benefits:

• SAP Blue Crystal as default theme

• Option to keep the System Selector dialog box open

SAP Business Client 6.0 is fully downward compatible with NWBC 5.0. Migration from 5.0 to 6.0 = easy!

How-to do it Step by Step: Integration of  the SAP Fiori launchpad into Business Client

The SAP Fiori launchpad content consists of Fiori tile catalogs and groups which are assigned to the end user using PFCG roles. This content is created and configured in the Fiori launchpad Designer and than assigned to the user (PFCG).

Basically you have to proceed the following steps:

1. Create catalogs (FLP Designer)

2. Create tiles+target mapping (FLP Designer)

3. (optional) Create group and assign tiles (FLP Designer)

4. Create PFCG roles

5. Assing catalog/group to role (PFCG)

6. Assign user to role (PFCG)

Steps in detail are described in carola.steinmaierblog in the User Interface Technology space.

Once the content is created, configured  and assigned you just start your SAP Fiori launchpad connection in Business Client 6.0. As mentioned in the beginning the following videos show how to create, configure and add SAP GUI for Windows tiles to your launchpad and how to configure RFC destinations in case your using remote system ( details see: Configuring remote systems in SM59).

Video Description Video (You Tube)

Business Client 6.0 (PL2) long version (6:56):  Learn  how to add a SAP GUI for Windows tile to SAP Fiori launchpad (FLP) integrated in Business Client 6.0 as your start page (via FLP connection type). See how to configure RFC destinations in case you are using remote system. See the difference between FLP within BC and browser.

Note: To open transaction in remote system you have to define RFC destination (Fiori Launchpad Designer ->Configure Target Mapping->System Alias). No RFC calls are executed and only some of the RFC destination settings are evaluated.

Business Client 6.0 (PL0) short version (4:27): Showing how to add a SAP GUI tile to FLP using Fiori Launchpad Designer.

Outline of the pretty short procedure described in the video:

1. Open the new SAP Fiori launchpad conection in SAP Business Client 6.0

2. Open SAP Fiori launchpad designer

3. Create a catalog or enhance an existing one

4. Create a new tile

5. Configure your tile

6. Add the tile to your SAP Fiori launchpad

**To make the Fiori launchpad usable for end users, they need certain authorizations. For details see Assigning Users to Roles.

For configuration and administration see: SAP Business Client for Desktop 6.0 Setup

See also SAP Business Client* and SAP S/4HANA**

With NWBC 5.0, PL7 (+ upgrade to NW 7.5 or SAP NetWeaver UI Add-Ons, version 2, SP0) you can integrate Fiori apps in a standard PFCG role:

Integrating NWBC 5.0 and Fiori Apps

82 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Claudia

Can you confirm if Windows 10 support will be provided in SP1 for SAP Business Client 6.0?

If this is not the case, are you in a position to confirm which SP SAP will target for Windows 10 support please for SAP Business Client 6.0/NWBC 5.0 and the proposed release dates please?

Many thanks

Mike

0 Kudos

Dear Claudia, in response to your statement I also want to make two remarks:

I'm just testing Netweaver Business Client 5.0 and SAP Business Cient 6.0 under a WIndows 10 VM so it is not really necessary that it is officially released. Netweaver 5 PL7 works fine in my Windows 10 already, as far as I could test it...

I have same problems on a windows 8.1 VM system with NWBC 5.0 PL9 and PL10 and Business Client 6.0.. (PL9 has been available only for a short time...).

I have installed Business Client 6.0 on my regular WIndows 8.1 notebook installation without any problem, same procedure on a VM does even not start....

Behaviour is always the same... when starting to install progress bar or progress ring... appears und runs for about 20 seconds and then 'nothing'... no message no dump ...

Before I decide to start a support message I should have a clue what happens on system, shouldn't I? Maybe it's just an issue of my system configuration...

other issue I asked for is not a bug... it is a missing feature of NWBC  ans SAP Gui in my opinion.. and I mentioned this many times before..

Only thing I want to ask is:

Will it ever be possible to export and import single SAP system data.. , instead of copying whole SAPLOGON.ini or *.XML files and then kick out unused entries or use screenshots from other users...

Screenshots have definitively some disadvantages ... imho

BR

Thomas

claudia_binder
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

For NWBC 5.0, we added support for Windows 10/IE11 with PL11 which was released on January 22nd 2016. I cannot commit the same for SAP Business Client 6.0 PL1, but also here, support is planned in the near future.

Release date planning for upcoming patches are published in SAP notes:

SAP Business Client 6.0 > SAP note 2227431

NWBC 5.0 > SAP note 2023658

TommyM
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

thanks for your information. Now we have the possibility to configure the transactions in the target mapping.

In BC6.0 the transaction is started. But now we get the error that the transaction does not exist, because the transaction is started in the frontend system (gateway) and not the backend system.

How can we start the transaction in the backend-system ?

Regards,

Thomas

claudia_binder
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Besides specifying the transaction code, you also need to expose the backend system in the target mapping. This is done using a system alias:

The system alias is referring to RFC destinations defined using transaction SM59 on the frontend server. To be more precise, you need a pair of RFC destinations, e.g.

• BESCLNT123 (ABAP connection type)containing server and logon information
  • BESCLNT123_HTTP(S) (HTTP connection to ABAP server)

Detailed information how to define the destinations can be found in the Help Portal (Remote Systems).

Regards,

Claudia

TommyM
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

thanks for your explaination.

This solved our Problems. :smile:

Best Regards,

Thomas

roger_sainsbury
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra and team,

I'm working on an S/4 HANA Finance implementation, where we are using Fiori Launchpad and Business Client 6. We have separate fornt-end Gateway hub and backend ERP systems.

We've successfully added some tiles to our launchpad to launch SAPGUI transactions. However when we open these from within Business Client 6, SAPGUI for Windows fails to open and it falls back to SAPGUI for HTML.

The fallback error message points to SAP Note 1638715.

Prompted by the Note, I've checked the Target Mappings for my Transaction Tiles. I've used a system alias which in turn points to a type 3 RFC Destination; load balancing is set to 'No'; Logon is with 'Current User' and Trust relationship is set to 'Yes'. In my system alias 'Local SAP GW' and 'For Local App' are both unchecked. As far as I can tell these settings are as they should be.

I notice in the note it states:

"Dynpros on REMOTE servers do only start with SAPGUI for HTML".

Would this statement apply in our case, where we have a hub Gateway system trying to open a transaction in a backend ERP system?

E.g. for Business Client 6, do transactions only open from Fiori Launchpad in SAPGUI for Wndows, if Gateway and ERP systems are the same?

thanks, Roger

sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Roger, defining the RFC destination correctly as described in my blog, showed in the video, described in the documentation - everything should work nicely. No issues with remote system! To be sure, are you using the FLP connection? Regards, Sandra

roger_sainsbury
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Sandra,

I am indeed using an FLP connection, and with your help I've now got SAPGUI for Windows working. I changed two things:

• RFC destinations: as I mentioned above my system alias pointed to a type 3 (ABAP) RFC connection to my backend system. However I was missing a type 'H' (HTTP) connection that started with the same name as the type 3 connection, as described in SAP Help. So I created one.
  • In your SAP BC Set-up guide on slide 15 it says to include the server address in the Local or Trusted Sites zone in the internet browser settings. I was missing this.

thanks again, Roger

david_kramp2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sandra,

I am getting a System Replication error in SBC 6.0. Every time I logon, the system replicate any of the SBC entries I have, but not the GUI entries. There was FAQ about this in NWBC 5, but the fix does not work for SBC 6. See screenshot below

sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi David, you really have to open a ticket for that! With 5.0 it was fixed and with 6.0 never an issue. Regards, Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,              

We have the same problem that Thomas Menges: we can't open a transaction in a backend server, no with LPD_CUST indirection and no with  directly configure the transactions in the target mapping.

In both cases we get the error that the transaction does not exist, because the transaction is started in the frontend system (gateway) and not the backend system.

We're can be the mistake?

Thanks and regards

Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I have the same problem that you had.

Which version and SP of Netweaver do you have in your backend system (not in gateway)?

Thanks and regards

Jose

TommyM
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

we use
SAP_BASIS 740 SP 0011   and

SAP_APPL 617 SP 0008

Best Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, and please, another qestion, the connection in sm59, is defined with Load Balancing?

Regards,

Jose

TommyM
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jose,

Load Balancing is not defined.

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Claudia

I am very please to see that Windows 10 compliance has been confirmed for SAP Business Client 6.0 PL1. I look forward to working with the latest release.

Many thanks

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,    

We can't open a Windows GUI transaction in a backend server (not in the frontend - gateway), from NWBC 6.0 .

We get this error:

If I try from Chrome, I arrive to the backend server but in webgui, of course.

Anybody had this error? Which version of netwaver I must have in the backend?

Regards,

Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have solved the error with:

2218496 - NWBC/Sapshortcut: login with connection string like /R/SID/G/GROUP failed when SAP UI land...

But, now we can't log into backend system. Anybody knows why?

Regards,

Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Business Client 6.0 expert

I am looking forwards to implementing SAP Business Client 6.0 on a Windows 10 machine with a Fiori Launchpad at some point in the near future.

Do you know if there has been any further testing with regard to SAP Note 1768476 - Can SSO for OpenDocument be used with NWBC? and formal support given to navigating from SAP Business Client 6.0 to BOE / EBOSS Webi reports and Xcelsius dashboards?

Many thanks

Mike

ninad_thakur
Explorer
0 Kudos

I love the idea of using Fiori Launchpad as a central point of access :smile: .

This works fine when you have a limited number of transactions that you want the user to launch.

However, in many cases you have users with roles defined in PFCG that have many transactions. In this case it be would very cumbersome to maintain a tile for every transaction that the user should be able to launch. Also, the Fiori launchpad would look very cluttered.

One possibility I thought of is to create a tile with a url pointing to the PFCG role e.g. http://<server>:<port>/nwbc/<ROLE>.

This works. However the window that opens up in Business Client is a NWBC Web window. Is it possible to force the url to open the role in Business Client Desktop? I tried prefixing the url with sap-nwbc://. However, this does not work when launching from tile within Fiori Launchpad started from Business Client.

Has anyone gotten something like above to work? Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ninad Thakur

sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ninad, for a clearly arranged UI you can now use also links within your SAP Fiori Launchpad. have a look at the FLP documentation: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_uiaddon20/helpdata/en/a6/2664a8f81940eab807bd86b739e4d8/content.htm?fram... For further questions regarding the look and feel of SAP Fiori launchpad have a look into the User Interface Technology Space or the following blog: http://scn.sap.com/community/ui-technology/blog/2016/02/29/sap-fiori-launchpad--control-visibility-o...

Regards,

Sandra

ninad_thakur
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation and links about using links. This should reduce the clutter on the FLP screen.

However, it still does not solve the problem of having to maintain a tile/link for every transaction that a user may want to access as defined in PFCG. It would be great if there was something like a 'automatic creation of tile catalog from PFCG role'.

Other questions that come to mind is that you can specify sap-system as a parameter -->does this only work for transactions or can this be used for urls as well?

Can variables be used as parameter values (e.g. like we can use SM30_SSM_VAR in PFCG for urls or using SM30_SSM_RFC for system alias)?

This would be useful when moving the FLP tiles between landscapes e.g. DEV, QAS, PRD) without having have to go to every tile and changing the RFC destination.

Thanks,

Ninad

sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ninad, the scope of FLP is for sure not the very heavy use of transactions. However, kind of "automatic tile generator" sounds tempting. Why not open a discussion in UI Technology space to discuss it with the Fiori launchpad designer collegues? They might consider your suggestions for further development. Are you familiar with our UX Strategy? You can find those information in th UI space as well. In the long run we all go FIORI! For the transition SAP BC is probably the best way to integrate both  worlds - Fiori and non-Fiori content. And enables users to retain the familiar (SAP GUI , Web Dynpro, FPM) and “dip their toe in the water” of Fiori UX.

Kind Regards,

Sandra

ninad_thakur
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I will take a look at the UI technology space.

Regards,

Ninad

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

Just experimenting with the upgrade to Business Client 6.0 plus integration with FLP, but came across the following issue.

If I create a desktop shortcut with 5.0, this will launch NWBC to a specific connection (namely mysapserver below):

sap-nwbc://https://mysapserver.domain.com.au/sap/bc/ui2/nwbc

Now if I install 6.0, and execute this shortcut, I first get a prompt for which Business Client to use…5.0 or 6.0, but once selected, it will launch as expected.

Plus if I use the following, I can also launch a specific Fiori Launchpad directly (still with the question on which Business Client to use which will obviously fail with 5.0):

sap-nwbc://https://mysapserver.domain.com.au/sap/bc/ui2/flp

So to remove the 5.0 or 6.0 prompt, I remove 5.0 completely, but now the sap-nwbc registry setting is removed so Windows no longer recognises sap-nwbc.

The solution, in short is you should always install 6.0 after you have removed 5.0; even though both can run concurrently (would have been nice if the removal of 5.0 didn't clobber the 6.0 setting).

Anyway, I originally wrote this with a question of why this worked, but figured it out as I typed.  So to add something useful to the conversation I thought I would say a great feature would be to be able to launch FLP in Business Client, defaulting to full screen mode via the sap-nwbc url options...

Cheers,

Matt

sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Matt,

thanks for your contribution. The "great feature" is already here: For the ABAP front-end server, the path is usually/sap/bc/ui5_ui5/ui2/ushell/shells/abap/FioriLaunch...

Create it via the extended supportability menu => copy direct startup URL to clipboard.

Regards,

Sandra
MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the fast feedback.  Looking at your comment, I'm not seeing how you can get it opening in full screen mode (hiding the tabs) by default with your comment...

Also, I believe you should be using /sap/bc/ui2/flp rather than the url mentioned in the help file as this is the newer link as I understand it from the on premise Fiori team.

Cheers,

Matt
sandra_thimme
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Matt,

the path in my comment is the correct one to start SAP BC with the FLP connection. You create it via the extended supportability menu => copy direct startup URL to clipboard and you RUN it with the protocol handler sap-nwbc://.

For Full screen mode us: Ctrl+Alt+F11

Regards,

Sandra
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I recently migrated NWBC 5.0 to NBC 6.0, I have configured the saplogon entries in a shared directory, when I tried to log in from NBC 6.0 I got a connection error, I understood that the migration was transparent. However, I have tried completely uninstalling NWBC 5.0 and installing NBC 6.0 on clean and error persists:

If you have any comments or answers, I thank you !!

dkle
Participant
0 Kudos
I have had a similar error, I fixed it by setting up a proxy exception for the accessed server in the Windows internet options.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi serdar.simsekler  and jsantos

I looked at many sources to change the keyboard settings, but none of them did not work in NWBC 6.5. I could not change the combination of Ctrl + Left and Ctrl + Right..

I added following codes on the this location NwbcOption.xml file . C:\Users\Yunus\AppData\Roaming\SAP\NWBC\NwbcOptions.xml
<Nwbc40Commands>
<NwbcCommand>
<ID>MoveCurrentTabLeft</ID>
<Key>Left</Key>
<ModifierKeys>Alt</ModifierKeys>
<Description>Move Left</Description>
</NwbcCommand>
<NwbcCommand>
<ID>MoveCurrentTabRight</ID>
<Key>Right</Key>
<ModifierKeys>Alt</ModifierKeys>
<Description>Move Right</Description>
</NwbcCommand>
</Nwbc40Commands>
</NwbcOptions>

After that , I changed Personel Settings like that.

But when I NWBC opened , It show error like that . (Key parameter can not be null. ) But I Filled it .. And It didn't change any things..