Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthiaskraemer
Advisor
Advisor
In Q4 2021, we introduced a new release of our proven SAP BW/4HANA product line called  

SAP BW/4HANA 2021. 

With this release, we provide our customers with a corresponding SAP BPC Planning add-on for each SAP BW/4HANA version. In addition, we have released the current version of 

SAP BPC 2021 for SAP BW/4HANA. 

Since the start of SAP BW/4HANA product family, planning capabilities have not been a part of the SAP BW/4HANA software component. This changed, however, for SAP BPC 2021 for SAP BW/4HANA 2021. Now you can use the SAP BW-IP/PAK planning model without an SAP BPC Add-On installation.  However, all planning models (SAP BW-IP/PAK, SAP BPC Embedded Model and SAP BPC Standard Model) need an SAP BPC license. 

SAP BPC 11.1– SAP BW-IP/PAK Planning Model not included in SAP BW/4HANA*

SAP BPC 2021 – SAP BW-IP/PAK Planning Model included in SAP BW/4HANA*

*Source: Images above created and owned by SAP HDA Planning & Analytics, Product Management

Here are the combinations of SAP BW on HANA, SAP BW/4HANA and SAP BPC releases available:

Underlying SAP BW release Corresponding SAP BPC release Maintenance until
SAP BW 7.50 SAP BPC 10.1 31.12.2027   PAM*
SAP BW/4HANA 1.0 SAP BPC 11.0 31.12.2021   PAM*
SAP BW/4HANA 2.0 SAP BPC 11.1 31.12.2024   PAM*
SAP BW/4HANA 2021 SAP BPC 2021 31.12.2027   PAM*

*PAM = Product Availability Matrix

In alignment with the announced maintenance extensions of the SAP Business Suite 7 and SAP S/4HANA, SAP will extend the maintenance for SAP BW/4HANA and SAP BW 7.5. We will extend the maintenance of the BPC products accordingly.

The maintenance of SAP BPC 10.1 for SAP BW 7.5 will continue until the end of 2027 followed by an optional period of extended maintenance lasting until the end of 2030.

The latest SAP BPC release, which supports the SAP BW/4HANA product line will be aligned with the SAP S/4HANA maintenance extension and will be maintained until at least 2040. For more information, see my blog on SAP BPC product suite extending maintenance.

The shipment of the new SAP BPC release is a result of our dual strategy of SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP BPC. With respect to SAP´s overall cloud strategy, our cloud-based planning solution SAP Analytics Cloud represents our strategic and most innovative business intelligence and planning solution. The SAP BPC product will receive continuous innovations, bug fixes, and investments in infrastructure topics with SAP Analytic Cloud. Please check out our blog about the SAP BPC Live solution.

Source: SAP’s dual SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) and on-premise (SAP BPC) strategy. Image property of SAP

Customers who need to support business requirements on an existing on-premise installation of SAP BPC can rely on the fact that the product will continue to exist and be supported. Future investments for planning will primarily go to SAP Analytics Cloud to enhance the rich features, functions, and to deepen the integration with the SAP Portfolio. With this in mind, we strongly recommend any customer considering future implementations of planning scenarios to consider the innovation of  SAP Analytics Cloud.
43 Comments
hasba
Participant
Hello Matthias,

thank you for this very informative Blog.

i have a question regarding the changes, does this change only means that if we have BW/4HANA 2021 we don't have to install the BPC addons in order to use the IP functionality?

do we still need then the BPC license to use the IP/PAK, means this has not changed? or do we have the IP now in BW4 as in earlier relases where IP was part of the BW functionality?

thank you & best regards

Younes
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer

Hi Younes,

thanks for reading the blog and your feedback. I am part of Matthias organization and I would like to support your questions.

If you would like to use only the SAP BW-IP/PAK planning model (the usage of Planning Application Kit is mandatory), the installation of the BPC Add-On is no longer a pre-requisite.
The SAP BPC planning license does not refer to the usage of the SAP BPC Add-On. The SAP BPC planning license refers to the usage of the SAP BPC Standard-, the SAP BPC Embedded- and / or the SAP BW-IP/PAK planning models. Thus, the SAP BPC Planning license is mandatory for the usage of SAP BW-IP/PAK planning model.
The usage of planning capabilities without a license fee is not supported in the product combination of SAP BPC and SAP BW/4HANA.

Best regards, Detlef

vigneswararao
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear Matthias Kreamer,

I believe the PAK Development component has moved to BW/4 level due to PAPM, so in the future, PAK needs either BPC or PAPM license.

Is my assumption correct?

Frankly, in BPC 2021, I noticed only a couple/decoupled components, and I didn't see any significant features or missed out?

Thanks & Regards,
Rao
FrankRiesner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Dear Matthias,

what is the required Analysis Office version to use BPC2021 for BW/4HANA 2021?
- in the PAM it says 2.8 SP11
- in the central Note 3057202 is only says 2.8 and higher, but without specifying the SP-level
- in the limitation Note 2472541 is says "BPC Plug-in cannot connect to BPC2021 server in the latest support package of Analysis Office"... this latest support package is 2.8 SP11 as far as I know (?)

Can you please bring some light here, and maybe in the central note as well?

Thanks Frank
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer

HI Vigneswara Rao

thanks for your interest about our SAP BPC product. From the license point of view, the planning models SAP BPC Standard, SAP BPC Embedded and SAP BW-IP/PAK are part of the BPC license. There are no changes on this and there is no relationship between the SAP BPC license and the SAP PAPM license. If you need more details about licenses, please check your question with your responsible SAP Account team.
With the help the new SAP BPC 2021 release, planning scenarios of our customers in combination with the new SAP BW/4HANA 2021 release will be supported farther.

All planning related innovations will be part of the SAC product.

Best regards, Detlef

RolandKramer
Active Contributor
Hello matthias.kraemer02
SAP BW/4HANA 2021 has a commitment until 2040 as in sync with SAP S/4HANA

I have allowed myself to add your Information to the Blog - SAP BW/4 HANA 2021 – 3rd Generation in Sync with SAP S/4

Best Regards Roland
Manos
Participant
0 Kudos
dear Matthias,

as we are in a middle of our BW In place conversion program, it will help us a lot and I suppose all customers that are in the same situation like us, if you can reply to Frank question about AFO version and SP. It sounds a blocker to me for lot of customers if there is such a limitation as per PAM.

Thanks in advance,

Manos

steffen_heine
Advisor
Advisor
Dear Frank, Dear Emmanouil,

the latest SAP Analysis for Microsoft Office SP is 2.8 SP12. The planning capabilities are supported for BPC2021, but the limitation with the BPC Plug-In Activity Pane still remains. We are working together with the BPC team on a solution and will update you once resolved and if a newer AO SP is required.

Regards,
Steffen
Manos
Participant
0 Kudos
Dear Steffen,

I am afraid I cannot understand your answer. The question is the below:

What is the required Analysis Office version to use BPC2021 for BW/4HANA 2021?

Thanks in advance,

Manos
0 Kudos
Hello Matthias,

we want to use SAP Analytics Cloud in a Live-Connection for Planning.

Do we need BPC2021 as AddOn to BW/4HANA 2021 or is BW/4HANA 2021 only also possible?

Thanks in advance and best Regards

Michael
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer

Hi Michael

thanks, for reading our blog post.

If you would like to use the so-called SAP BPC LIVE Connection for Planning, so you would like to create a hybrid planning model, where the SAP SAC tool will be connected with a SAP BPC Embedded Planning Model.

For supporting such kind of scenarios, you need to install the SAP BPC Add-On.

Best Regards, Detlef

0 Kudos
Hi Matthias

Could you please explain the difference on your screen shot - it looks like the similar statement but different meaning:

Regards

Andrzej

Part of chart from the blog

steffen_heine
Advisor
Advisor
Dear Manos,

only the BPC activity plug-in of Analysis for Office is affected. The normal Analysis plug-in works fine with BPC2021 with any 2.8 SP. With 2.8 SP13 planned for end of February 2022 also the BPC activity plug-in is supported again.

Regards,

Steffen
Manos
Participant
hi Steffen,

with the term "BPC activity plug-in" are you referring to "EPM plug-in" that supports SAP BPC standard and MDX-based sources? Please clarify.

Regarding classic BW OLAP Queries and BW OLAP queries planning enabled  ("old BW-IP or Embedded BPC as per SAP product renaming), AFO 2.8 SP0 is enough.

Please clarify.

Manos

JohnL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi ajedrzejczyk ,

The screenshot was updated. I believe the answer lies in this statement:

Since the start of SAP BW/4HANA product family, planning capabilities have not been a part of the SAP BW/4HANA software component. This changed, however, for SAP BPC 2021 for SAP BW/4HANA 2021. Now you can use the SAP BW-IP/PAK planning model without an SAP BPC Add-On installation.  However, all planning models (SAP BW-IP/PAK, SAP BPC Embedded Model and SAP BPC Standard Model) need an SAP BPC license. 

Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks,

John

former_member698321
Participant
Hi John

Thank you, it it clear since the description below screen is changed and your explanation is enough for me.

Regards

Andrzej
edwiromero_s
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Very informative blog, but I have a question regarding a customer road map.

Besides the BW/4HANA, What would be the main reason to migrate from BPC 10.1 NW to BPC 2021? As both have the same end of maintenance (31/12/2027)? I don't believe that it would be an easy migration though.

Regards

detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
Hi Edwin

thanks for reading this blog.

We need to differentiate between product and product version. Yes, we have planned to end the maintenance of the product version SAP BPC 2021 at the end of 2027. But as you can read in the blog above, we will support the SAP BW/4HANA product line until 2040 with a corresponding planning release.

Best Regards, Detlef
Yuval
Employee
Employee
Hi Experts

We have a customer with SAP BPC FOR MICROSOFT (for consolidation) and I can see in PAM that End of Mainstream Maintenance is 31.12.2024

What are his options?

Thx

Yuval
hugh_gledhill
Participant
Hi matthias.kraemer02 detlef.wassmuth

Regarding the statement:

"The latest SAP BPC release, which supports the SAP BW/4HANA product line will be aligned with the SAP S/4HANA maintenance extension and will be maintained until at least 2040."

Can you clarify whether this refers to both the BPC Standard model and BPC Embedded model? Or will only the BPC Embedded model be maintained in line with the BW4 and S4 maintenance extensions?

Thanks,

Hugh
Hi Yuval,

did you already go for a choice ?

If your customer has already S4 (>1909 I'd say) and scenario is only for Fin.Consolidation then go for S4 Group reporting.

If your customer has also a BW4 and planning scenario is Business planning (not only consolidation), then go for BPC 11.1

Giovanni
udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
In this article I tried to summarize on enterprise architecture  level to summarize which are the best solutions for financial planning in different customer situations ​​The Right Choice of Solutions for Financial Planning

FrankRiesner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Dear all,

I am managing an in In-Place conversion to SAP BW/4HANA 2021 at one of our core customers in Switzerland.

Now the Maintenance Planner requests the installation of the BPC4HANA add-on.

However, in the existing BW 7.5 system BPC is not in use or installed. There are only IP objects (maintained via tr. RSPLAN). In your blog you say "...you can use the SAP BW-IP/PAK planning model without an SAP BPC Add-On installation."

Can you please advise how to proceed?
Thanks Frank

detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

if we would like to analyze such kind of questions, we need more information. In addition to this, such kind of questions will be handled from our support organization. So, it would be great, if you could open an incident (if you haven't already done so)

Best Regards, Detlef

frank2schneider
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello,

do I understand it correctly, that a SAP BW/4HANA 2021 would not run with a BPC 11.1?

Thanks
Frank
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer

Hi Frank,

thanks for your interest about our SAP BPC product.

The SAP BPC 11.1 release supports planning applications in the combination with SAP BW/4HANA 2.0 and SAP BPC 2021 supports planning applications in the combination with SAP BW/4HANA 2021 (PAM)

Please check the PAM for such kind of questions in general. Here you can find details about SAP software product versions, including availability and end of maintenance dates, upgrade paths, and technical release information (database platforms, Java platforms, operating systems, and so on).

Best Regards, Detlef
frank2schneider
Explorer
Hi Detlef,

thanks, there is no possibility to use SAP BPC 11.1 with SAP BW/4HANA 2021?

thanks
Frank
former_member763827
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hola!

Me gustaría saber si es compatible una versión SAP BPC 2021 Classic con una conexión live a un SAC.

Muchas gracias, saludos.
dirkpelz
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Si por "Classic" te refieres al modelo estándar, entonces no se trata de una conexión en directo, sino de una conexión de importación. Con los modelos "empotrados" también se puede crear una conexión en directo para planificar, es decir, escribir. La concesión de licencias a través de SAC (Cloud Extension) también es interesante para esta aplicación.

-dirk
sangameshreshmi
Explorer
0 Kudos
Nice Blog,

when you say

The latest SAP BPC release, which supports the SAP BW/4HANA product line will be aligned with the SAP S/4HANA maintenance extension and will be maintained until at least 2040. For more information, see my blog on SAP BPC product suite extending maintenance.

Why 2040 are not maintianed in Product Matrix. its only  2027. we we get official conformation on the extension dates.

Regards

Sangamesh Rehsmi
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Sangamesh,

thanks for your question.

The product maintenance of the product version will be shown in the PAM only and not from the overall product. Please check the following blog

https://blogs.sap.com/2023/01/23/maintenance-timelines-for-sap-business-planning-and-consolidation-s...

from Matthias as well.

Best Regards, Detlef
sangameshreshmi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi COuld not understand your point.

Blog Screenshot

detlef_wassmuth
Explorer

We focus in our blogs on the SAP BPC product and the maintenance is referring to the SAP BPC component. SAP Business Planning and Consolidation 11.1, version for SAP BW/4HANA is running on top of SAP BW/4HANA 2.0 and SAP Business Planning and Consolidation 2021, version for SAP BW/4HANA is running on top of SAP BW/4HANA 2021.

The details can be found in the PAM but we will add the details about the SAP BW/HANA version in the blog as well.

Thanks for your feedback, Detlef

gerbenbeekhof
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Is it already clear, what are the most important functional differences between version SAP BPC 11.1 and SAP BPC 2021?
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gerben,

thanks for visiting our blogs. If you would like to get an overview about the features, functions, and any additional information, I recommend checking our product pages. Here you will get a very good overview about our products:  SAP Business Planning and Consolidation 11.1, version for SAP BW/4HANA and SAP BPC 2021, version for SAP/4HANA.

Best Regards, Detlef

marcus_preis4
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi matthias.kraemer02 , Hi detlef.wassmuth ,

thank you for the nice blog.

I was wondering about JAVA when considering moving from BW 7.5 on HANA to BW/4HANA.

The BW/4 conversion guide states:

Conversion Guide for SAP BW/4HANA

SAP BI Java components are obsolete with SAP BW/4HANA. You have to remove the technical Java system from the respective productive system in the Landscape Management
Database (LMDB)

As per my understanding JAVA is/ was necessary for IP.

Is that still the case when BW-IP/ PAK moves to BW/4?

Can you please clarify.

Thank you,

Marcus
eric_gilbert
Explorer
0 Kudos
We use only IP objects (RSPLAN) on planning aDSOs. All Planning and Reporting is done in Analysis for Excel.

We are about to migrate from BW7.5 to BW/4HANA 2021 with support until 2040 (including support for IP/PAK).

However, I now see that Analysis for Excel is only supported through 2029. How can the IP/PAK be supported through 2040 if the front-end tool is not?
Keemlarrys
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi team,

Our organisation is currently using the SAP BPC standard version, we would like to move to BPC Embedded version within S/4 Hana. I would like someone to please talk me through the process. We would like to use the embedded S/4 Hana solution for the implementation

I have the following questions:

1 if upload of packages are still needed for transactional data in Embedded BPC within S/4 Hana solution.

2. How can FM data can be integrated. Is there an Add-on needed?

3. Is the model based on BW or on S/4?

4. If the BPC solution from SAP has as a reference model for a cost-center / cost element (GL acct) planning.

These are the concerns we have currently. If any can assist with some vital information that would be great.

Thanks

Keem
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Akeem,

the intention of this blog is to share and discuss the strategy of our SAP planning solutions.

Please visit our community page to discuss your queries.

Best Regards, Detlef
Keemlarrys
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Detlef,

Thanks for your response. I will do so.

Regards
detlef_wassmuth
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Marcus,

the intention of this blog is to share and discuss the strategy of our SAP planning solutions.

Please visit our community page to discuss your queries.

Best Regards, Detlef
bigonnet
Advisor
Advisor
hi Eric,

our Frontend strategy is based  in SAP BI strategy paper that you can access here : SAP Analytics Business Intelligence Statement of Direction.

Best Regards

Jeanne
ThomasStumpp
Explorer
0 Kudos
The tabular view of PAM now says that BPC 2021 has an end of mainstream maintenance until 31.12.2030.
https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=s%3Dconsolidation%26filter%3D%26o%3Dmost_viewe...