Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Beta phase completed

After a successful closed beta testing phase (see The new cloud-based Transport Management Service) we have shipped the first generally available productive version of SAP Cloud Platform Transport Management service (TMS) on 22nd of November 2018.

Overview

TMS is a purely cloud-based solution for transporting development artifacts or application configuration content between SAP Cloud Platform subaccounts (respectively Cloud Foundry spaces). The sources and targets for the transportable content are modeled inside TMS as transport nodes and connected via transport routes. With these parts you can setup your transport landscape(s). These landscapes can of course be more complex than the standard three system landscape shown below. The content is attached to a transport request which is then moved along your transport routes and deployed to the corresponding target accounts.

TMS currently supports the SAP Cloud Platform Neo and Cloud Foundry environments as transport nodes (Neo subaccounts and Cloud Foundry spaces). The content can be Multi-Target Applications (MTA), SAP Cloud Platform Integration (CPI) packages and SAP HANA delivery units (DU), if the HANA database is hosted in SAP Cloud Platform.

Boundary Conditions

SAP Cloud Platform Transport Management service itself is running in the Cloud Foundry environment and in order to use it you need to subscribe to it from one of your own Cloud Foundry subaccounts. TMS is available in nearly all SAP Cloud Platform regions (data denters). For most current information check the service catalog on SAP Cloud Platform Discovery Center. You will find the supported regions on the tab 'Service Plan'.
The target subaccounts for transporting can reside in any data center and cross-region transport is possible.

Pricing

TMS will first be offered in a consumption-based pricing model at currently 18 EUR per used GB bandwidth of data uploaded to the service per month. This can be paid with Cloud Credits which can be used for all SAP Cloud Platform services offered in this pricing model.

From 2nd of April, 2019 it is also possible to subscribe to TMS via the SAP store, please see the corresponding blog by my colleague Boris Zarske. The services details page of TMS in SAP store can be found here.

NEW: Transport Management service is now available in a trial version. See this blog for more information.

For further information please check https://cloudplatform.sap.com/pricing.html.

Further Information

Check out the introductory video on TMS.

There is extensive documentation available including a bunch of videos showing the setup of TMS step by step.

Outlook

We will continue to further develop TMS, e.g. by opening TMS to new SAP Cloud Platform environments and new services within SAP Cloud Platform. At SAP TechEd Barcelona 2018 we also tested a graphical display of the transport landscape which has been rolled out in a recent version of TMS (see screenshot below).

30 Comments
Murali_Shanmu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Good news. Are there plans to provide this in the subscription pricing model?

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Murali,

Thanks a lot! We are working on offering further pricing models – for example, we are considering to offer the service via SAP Store in a subscription model and are evaluating further options, but this is not finally clarified yet. Of course, we would update the blog, as soon as further options should become available.

Best regards,
Boris
Murali_Shanmu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Boris, Looking forward for more updates.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi all, for CPI, will there be special handling regarding exchange of target system landscape much as SLD and integration directory does on on Prem PI? Or do you solely rely on externalized parameters for such?

Cheers

Jens
paolo_fera
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos
Hi all, I have two questions about TMS:

1. Is it possible to transport from a tenant in a Global Account (based on subscription model) to a tenant in another Global Account (based on CPEA)?

2. Is it possible to transport everything that I have developed in terms of code and services, or there are services that is not possible to transport

Thanks, Paolo
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Paolo,

let me try to answer your questions:

1. Is it possible to transport from a tenant in a Global Account (based on subscription model) to a tenant in another Global Account (based on CPEA)?
    Yes, the license type is not relevant for the subaccounts modeled in TMS. You can transport between different global accounts. They can even reside in different data centers (of course with increased network latency...).
    Only the Cloud Foundry subaccount from which you subscribe to TMS has to be (as of 26th of February, 2019) CPEA based (and currently located either in Europe or US).

2. Is it possible to transport everything that I have developed in terms of code and services, or there are services that is not possible to transport
    Currently all generally available scenarios are based on Multi-Target Applications. So in that sense everything that can be put into an MTA can be transported. For the currently supported artifacts in an MTA see here for Cloud Foundry and here for Neo.
    As you can see from the list of artifacts this mainly relates to development content like HTML5 applications or nodeJS modules. This covers by far not all available services in SAP Cloud Platform.
    The architecture of TMS allows the transport of application / service specific content, but this has to be implement on a 'by service' level, which means that each service has to implement some APIs that TMS provides. This has been done so far by Cloud Platform Integration (CPI) and other services are currently doing it.
    So in the moment the answer is that most services are not fully supported by TMS.

For us it would be very important to learn which services would be most relevant for being TMS enabled so that we can prioritize our efforts accordingly.

Kind regards
Harald
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Jens,

the behavior for CPI content transported via TMS is identical to a manual export and import of an integration package. So there is no special handling as you asked for in your question.

However, as a (non-binding...) outlook: we are planning to introduce configurable pre- and post-import actions for TMS. Those could include CPI specific activities provided by the CPI development team.

Kind regards
Harald
JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Harald. Sounds interesting. I would suppose this feature would (if it comes to happen) then differentiate TMS more from CTS+ (other than when heading towards "serverless" I would want to use TMS anyways).

Cheers

Jens
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Murali,

good news: TMS is now available for subscription via SAP Store. Please see the corresponding blog entry by Boris: https://blogs.sap.com/2019/04/02/sap-cloud-platform-transport-management-now-also-available-for-subs...

Kind regards
Harald

karenave
Explorer
0 Kudos

Transport diagrams and change SDI connection?

Actualimente solo tengo una cuenta de SCP y en la base de datos tengo creado un esquema con una conexion SDI a ERP QAS. Es posible que en la misma cuenta en otro esquema PROD se puede transportar lo del esquema anterior y acabiar la conexion SDI a ERP PRD?
AshmitaSinha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Harald,

For Neo I've followed this blog: https://blogs.sap.com/2018/04/23/getting-started-with-sap-transport-management-service-beta-for-sap-.... But Now since we don't have SL service in Neo, how would the configurations be?

Is it possible to transport content from one space of CF to another space? Is there any blog which I follow for the configurations and transport content between cf spaces?

Regards,

Ashmita Sinha
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello Ashmita Sinha,

I hope I understood your question correctly.

Yes, it is possible to transport content between CF spaces with TMS. There are two differences compared to the configuration in Neo:

The default scenario in CF would more or less look like that:

• In your development space you create an MTA project in WebIDE

• After completion of the project you build the MTA from within WebIDE

• You export the MTA archive file to your local drive from within WebIDE

• in TMS you create a new transport request targeting your test space

• You attach the downloaded MTA archive to the transport request

• You import the transport request into the test space

• The transport request is automatically forwarded to the next space on your transport route, e.g. the productive space

• You import the transport request into the subsequent space(s)

We are planning within Q3 also to enable integration of TMS into a CI/CD process, which would automate most of the above steps.

Kind regards

Harald

radar_lei
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Harald,

We are building a SaaS solution, I tried to use the transport management service in our globale account but failed. What I did is following:

1. We have an global account on Canary landscape and several subaccounts.

2. I changed the entitltment of our global account with service of: Transport Management and Transport Management DEV Service and alocate the quota to one of our subaccount.

3. When I check the subsptions of my subaccount, I could not see the service available on the subscriptions.

4. When I look into my subaccount space, I could see two services in the 'Service Market Place': Transport Management (transport) and Transport Management (transport-dev). In the description, it shows as:" Provides programmatic access to SAP Cloud Platform Transport Management service that lets you manage transports between SAP Cloud Platform accounts in Neo and Cloud Foundry, such as from DEV to TST and PROD accounts". It allows me to generate a new instance, in in the new instace I could bind applications.

The above steps are quite different with what you describe here, could you help to let me know what step I missed?

In addition, for the transport management, could we do following:

1. Transport the content from Canary Landscape (global account 1) to Factory Landscape(global account 2)?

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Radar,

normally this should work 😉

To all external (non-SAP) readers: we talk about the SAP internal Canary landscape which is not accessible from the outside. However, the steps described here are the same for the 'real' (factory) environment.

Let's double-check the steps:

1. in the CF subaccount you want to run TMS in, Cloud Foundry is enabled (an organization exists)?

2. The entitlement for TMS in the global account looks like this (the subaccount name here is 'Harrys Home')?

You only need the entitlement for Transport Management, the one for Transport Management DEV is the newest internal build, might still contain bugs and will very frequently be updated...

3. In the subaccount on the subscription tab you find Transport Management?

You have to be a member of the global account in order to see (and change) the subscriptions on subaccount level.

4. The service instance you mention is needed for setting up the so called 'close coupling'. This means that TMS is called from an application to create a transport request and attach content to it. Currently this is available for SAP Cloud Platform Integration (CPI) in Neo environment and for the Solution Export Wizard (also on Neo). Please see Set Up the Environment to Transport Content Archives directly in an Application on SAP Help for details on the configuration and use.
    The fact that you see the two services in the 'Service Market Place' indicates that entitlement has worked.

As for your last question: in order to transport from Canary to Factory subaccounts TMS has to run on the Canary landscape. As you plan to do this, the intended scenario should work.
It would not be possible to import into a Canary subaccount from a TMS running on Factory.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Harald

mattisebastian
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Harald,

thank you for the nice summary. I already asked this on an older article but: will it be possible to transport single integration artefacts or just the whole package?

Thank you and best regards

Matti
Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Matti,

unfortunately the situation has not changed: the transport of SAP Cloud Platform Integration artefacts still happens on package level.

I will mention your requirement to the CPI development team and hope they might consider it...

Sorry and kind regards
Harald
radar_lei
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Harald,

Thanks for the details, I am the global account admin, but I could see the subsription tile for the 'Transport Management'.

Is there any other specific role or setting required?

Thanks and best regards,

Radar

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Radar,

I suppose you wanted to say that you could not see the Transport Management tile, right?

I am not aware of any additional role or setting needed.

The only advice I could give is to clear the browser cache and reload the subscriptions page.

If this doesn't help I would suggest to follow up that issue SAP internally. If something important comes up during our investigation I would post it here.

Kind regards
Harald

0 Kudos

Woh! this is really good news and very informative article

Shobhitt99
Explorer
0 Kudos
HI  mattisebastian harald.stevens

Need some guidance, is there any SAP Blog/Publish material that guide us to transport the CPIS content from one tenant to another. Please help as this is urgently required.

Thanks in Advance.

BR,

Shobhit
BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Dear Shobhit,

I saw that you have already found the blog post from Harald on setting up SAP CPI for Neo: https://blogs.sap.com/2019/11/12/setting-up-sap-cloud-platform-transport-management-for-sap-cloud-pl... - and that Harald could point you there already to the corresponding information for Cloud Foundry as well, so I assume your question is answered.

Best regards,
Boris
deva_gembali2
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi mattisebastian harald.stevens

As discussed earlier, I have created a new subaccount for TMS service only. Now, I am trying to create destinations by using client service key from TMS account to QA. 

1) Am I doing the right approach? Do I need to create destination from DEV subaccount to QA subaccount (OR) from new TMS subaccount to QA subaccount?
2)If Option2, How should I create destinations from (new TMS subaccount or CPI DEV)  to CPI QA?

2) I tried with “CPI QA service instance and service key” and “Basic authentication which I have admin access in QA” ,   Both authentications are failing (connection established but 401 authorization error) please help urgently.

3) Even I tried with the QA certificate import into TMS subaccount but still, the destination connection is not successful.

please advise me.

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Vasudeva,

as you have asked (nearly) the same question in my blog post https://blogs.sap.com/2019/11/12/setting-up-sap-cloud-platform-transport-management-for-sap-cloud-pl... let's follow up the question there.

Kind regards
Harald

0 Kudos
Hii,

Very Informative Blog and Comment section. I wanted to know that is there any way to use TMS in SAP Data intelligence? If yes can you provide me brief info regarding the same?

Thank you in Advance,

Samarth
Juliuspereira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello Harald,

Has this situation changed or the transport of SAP Cloud Platform Integration artefacts still happens on package level?

Thank you

Julius
BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello Julius,

Thanks a lot for the question, this statement here is really outdated - SAP Cloud Transport Management service now also supports transport of SAP Cloud Integration content on artifact level. For example, see this blog post: SAP Cloud Integration – Transport at Artifact Level | SAP Blogs

Best regards,
Boris
Juliuspereira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Excellent, thank you!
pboulicaut
Participant
0 Kudos

Is there plan to have configuration center bundle in Successfactors being transported by CTMS ?

these would completely transform the  way configuration is moved on successfactors landscape 

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes, there are plans to integrate Successfactors with Cloud Transport Management. However, we don't have a concrete timeline (yet). There is a fair chance that we will start working on the topic in the second half of 2024. Please keep checking the SuccessFactors and Cloud Transport Management roadmaps regularly.

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There is also an improvement request on that topic (maybe created by you): https://influence.sap.com/sap/ino/#idea/319925

It would make sense to upvote this idea, so that the topic also moves up in our backlog.