Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mamikee
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

We have a  new code challenge for you as part of the Community Spotlight for the month of September. This time it's about testing your skills and learning the basics in ABAP.  You will be given four exercises to complete on Exercism.

The goal for this month's Coding Challenge is to complete one exercise each week on Exercism for you to get familiar with the ABAP language through exercises that will test your skills. Each week you will complete one exercise to test your skills, you will start off with the basics and gradually move up to the more involved exercises.

These challenges will allow you to test your skills and learn the basics such as ITAB Basics, ITAB Combination, ITAB Aggregation and ITAB Nesting. These exercises will also help you improve your ABAP skills whether you are a beginner or just want to brush up on your skills 😊

ABAP on Exercism

Quick Links

There is a SAP Community Code Challenge – Dive Into the Basics of ABAP! thread in the brand new Application Development Group where we invite you to discuss and share your results of the challenge.

The Challenge

The challenge is very simple. You will have to create an account on Exercism and complete the challenge assigned for each week. Be sure to come back to the blog post to see what the next challenge is for that week. You will also be provided with resources that can be helpful for you before or while completing the challenges.

ABAP - Logo

We want to keep the challenge fairly loose, which is why there are no prizes. However, interesting challenge entries may be highlighted in upcoming posts, videos or live streams by the Developer Advocates, and of course will be appreciated by the SAP Community members.

Participating in the Challenge

To be able to take part in this challenge and complete it, it's very simple, you will have to follow these steps:

1. Create an account on Exercism

2. Complete each challenge for the week it is assigned

3. Submit a screenshot showing you successfully completed the exercise with your profile visible. You will need to submit this on the SAP Community Application Development thread

Screenshot Example

The Timeline

Each week on Wednesday for next four weeks you will be assigned a new challenge to complete on Exercism to test your skills :). These challenges must be completed and submitted to be counted toward the month's overall challenge. Make sure to come back to this blog post to see what the next challenge is for that week will be!

This is the detailed timeline:

At the end of the challenge, if you have made all submissions, you will receive an SAP Community badge for successfully participating in the SAP Code Challenge for September. Make sure to always post your submissions as described.

SAP Community – ABAP Code Challenge Badge

Get your final submission in by October 5th, as we will start picking out the ones that we want to highlight on that date.

Let’s Get Started

We are looking forward seeing all your submission 😊. We wish you a lot of fun with ABAP on Exercism and good luck!

➡️ Head over to the SAP Community Code Challenge – Dive Into the Basics of ABAP thread in the Application Development group to discuss, share, and ask questions.

Further Readings

36 Comments
Khan
Participant
tried it, not sure what type of ABAP this is?
larshp
Active Contributor

Bit of a long story 😊

1: https://rules.abaplint.org/downport/ is used to downport the syntax to 702

2: The 702 ABAP code is transpiled into javascript using https://github.com/abaplint/transpiler, you can try this in browser at https://transpiler.abaplint.org

The Exercism runner code is open source at https://github.com/exercism/abap-test-runner

When running into bugs, or if you have questions/feature requests, feel free to open an issue at https://github.com/exercism/abap/issues

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
Thanks for this nice challenge, Mamikee - especially as I really enjoy the Exercism experience now and then!

Cheers

Bärbel
abo
Active Contributor
mamikee other than posting the screenshot to participate, what is the value of publishing the answers? What about mentoring? I'm asking because I get reminders from Exercism that I haven't done so.
abo
Active Contributor

Occasionally the output of the transpiler / runner isn't terribly helpful in finding the error 🙂

It said something like "[object, Object] expected, instead got [object, Object]" (which is of course totally different XD )

I had to run the code in the minisap to get meaningful feedback from the unit tests.

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
I had similar problems too. Apparently ABAPlint is not perfect yet. However it's easy to copy & paste an exercise and tests into an ABAP report and build a solution there.
abo
Active Contributor
Unless you're between jobs and one of your two minisap installations cuts out because the license is expired... took a while but that's the route I used, too.
larshp
Active Contributor
hi, can you help opening an issue at https://github.com/exercism/abap, then it can improve over time
bpawanchand
Active Contributor
I am not sure Mamikee where to report the errors. But It seems one of the solution on which I worked is actually working on my local system and when I copy the code it says the statement is incorrect.

I feel the online editor doesnt understand all the syntaxes of ABAP . When I write a simple statement like DATA(Lt_data) = reduce( ....) it says the statement it cannot find lt_data.

Error With Online Editor

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
pavan.bhamidipati

Hi Pavan,

you can check the correspoding Github project to see if this has already been mentioned there. If not, you can create an issue for the team to look at, something I've done quite a bit when I had happened upon Exercism a couple of months ago:

https://github.com/exercism/abap/issues

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Bärbel
bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hallo Barbel,

Danke schoon. Ill check in Git Hub.

Regards

Pavan
Abinathsiva
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Nice
Peter_Inotai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Mamikee,

What is the current status of week 3? Unfortunately I cannot see the link, in the blog it's still says:

"September 21st , 2022 (10:00am CEST) – Week 3 Challenge will be added"

Thanks,

Peter
abo
Active Contributor
In less than 30min...
Sathees_P
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I already submitted kind of same issue in GitHub https://github.com/exercism/abap/issues/203

Might help!

Regards,

Sathees

imancour
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi mamikee

I cannot see the link of week 5.

Many thanks!

Idriss
abo
Active Contributor
The challenge ends today, just 4 assignments (at least, that's how I understand it)
imancour
Explorer
Ah ok thanks c5e08e0478aa4727abc4482f5be390b2 !

Idriss
Sandra_Solis
Participant
mamikee I am looking forward to the week 5 challenge !! 🤞🥰🥰🎉🎉
agrawalhar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
There is no Week 5. This was a 4 week challenge.
Peter_Inotai
Active Contributor
Obviously it was too short 🙂
Sandra_Solis
Participant
0 Kudos
oh, I thought there would be a closing challenge 😅😅
abo
Active Contributor
A final monster? That would be your specialty, bfeeb8ed7fa64a7d95efc21f74a8c135  😄
renato_martins
Participant
0 Kudos
I did all tasks but I didn't get my badge 😞
Jeansy
Active Contributor
I think it is quite complex to check all the challenges and assign these to the related users to check who has qualified for the badge.

I would suggest to give mamikee a little more time - I am wuite sure that we'll receive our badge 🙂
agrawalhar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Yes, it can be a tough task. Let's wait.
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Lars, Probably been asked before, but: Why 7.02?

Looked in .../exercism/abap , but could not see the explanation.

Thanks, Julie.
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Have the badges been awarded yet?
abo
Active Contributor
AFAIK, not.
Jeansy
Active Contributor
No, not yet.
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Is there any timeframe? Just asking, not pressing.
larshp
Active Contributor
The exercises can be submitted using 740+ syntax

Its an intermediate step in the compiling to translate the syntax to 702. Because I am lazy, trying to reduce the scope in the transpiler, tho it might extend to 740+ sometime.

Plus in the future I'd like to have abapGit maintained in 740+ syntax, and automatically provide a 702 syntax version to users.
amauryvanespen
Active Participant
Hi mates,

still 26 others exercices available 😃

let's propose your's

there is also the #devtoberfest currently

Waiting for the badges also 😃

Amaury
abo
Active Contributor
Bagdes are out!
baskarwipro