Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
SAP Event Mesh is, as you probably know, SAP's Event-Broker-as-a-Service to decouple communication between event sources and event consumers. It allows to power event-driven architectures and provides a low entry barrier to event-driven architectures, specifically since pricing is usage based. An overview of SAP Event Mesh can be found in the Discovery Center.

As an integral part of SAP’s event-driven ecosystem, SAP Event Mesh is specifically targeted at and optimised for efficiently extending and integrating SAP backends, following an event-driven architecture style.

A trial option for SAP Event Mesh, available as part of the general BTP trial environment, allowed to try and test it. Unfortunately, this trial environment did not allow to fully evaluate SAP Event Mesh according to its intended use in an end-to-end way. Meaning, that in order to really evaluate an event broker you require all kinds of event sources and event consumers. And usually customer environments differ quite some in respect to the backends and event consumers.

Luckily the capacity based pricing of Event Mesh allowed for an alternative approach that most customers used to evaluate SAP Event Mesh: to simply evaluate it in the customers very own environment, using the targeted backends and consumers. As you can see in the pricing section for Event Mesh in the Discovery Center, a GB of data traffic comes at a very low price and evaluating Event Mesh in their own environments has been seen as a high return investment by customers.

We have therefore decided to retire the trial for SAP Event Mesh since most customers had opted for using their own environments anyway and it does not seem to make much sense to keep a stand-alone trial for SAP Event Mesh if evaluations usually take place in an end to end way.

Please note that the retirement period starts from February 1st and that SAP Event Mesh will be shut down on February 6th 2023.

What we will target instead in the near future, since SAP Event Mesh will move ever closer to the SAP Integration Suite, is a trial of SAP Event Mesh in conjunction with the SAP Integration Suite trial.

Please stay tuned for future updates.
14 Comments
gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Karsten,

SAP Integration Suite is part of the BTP Free Tier. The limitation here seems that it will get decommissioned after 90 days if you are not moving to a paid plan. Is SAP Event Mesh included there? The Discovery Center page does not contain any information.

Looking forward for your reply.

Best Regards
Gregor
ajmaradiaga
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

SAP Event Mesh is not part of the SAP Integration Suite offering yet. It will be in the near future. You can find details in the SAP Road map website - https://roadmaps.sap.com/board?q=Event%2520Mesh&range=FIRST-LAST#;INNO=3B40A46EFDB81EDDA5E8BC229C788.... Planned for Q3 2023.

KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Gregor,

looks like Antonio was quicker. And his answer is right. Currently SAP Event Mesh is not part of the SAP Integration Suite offering. So for now the free tier won't do the trick. This should change in future.

My recommendation right now would be to simply go with the regular Event Mesh offering even for evaluation purposes. It is around 10 Euros/Dollars for a GB of consumption and with that you can send and consume plenty of events since the events are usually small. Plus that it does not have the limitations specifically in respect to connecting different backends as event sources that the trial used to have.

Best,

Karsten
FabienHenique
Participant
Hello, any plan to add Advanced version of SAP Event Mesh as free tier ?
KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Fabien,

In respect to SAP Integration Suite, advanced event mesh the next step is a trial option that we're working on. We'll get that done and then we will see what to do about free tier.

Best,

Karsten
MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
Hi Karsten,

When SAP Event Mesh becomes included as part of SAP Integration Suite, does that mean the standalone consumption-based version of the Event Mesh service will no longer be offered, forcing customers to license SAP Integration Suite even if they only need the Event Mesh service?

Regards,

Mustafa.
KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Mustafa,

another way to see it: Integration Suite customers will have the benefit of SAP Event Mesh as part of Integration Suite with all advantages of a better integration on top.

For stand-alone usage: SAP Integration Suite, advanced event mesh is already the second available option for more demanding scenarios - and can be used fully stand-alone. The name is a little misleading, you can get it without Integration Suite. And it's a great broker. And you can get it in smaller T-shirt sizes as well.

In respect to Event Mesh stand alone, existing customers will certainly be able to continue using it the way they use it today. I don't expect changes here. What it means for new customers is in discussions and depends on the customer decisions in respect to EM/AEM as well.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Karsten
MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for the clarification.  The concern I have is that the current Event Mesh pricing is quite cost effective for the use case whereas Advanced Event Mesh has a significantly higher pricing model, so I hope the standard Event Mesh service will continue to be offered even to new customer/partner use cases.

Regards,

Mustafa.
Hendrik
Active Participant
Hi Karsten,

to be honest I'm a bit suprised by the way SAP is looking at the trial account landscape. The way you describe it, it reads as if the only use case here is to build PoCs and evaluate the solution in a close to real world scenarios.

You're missing out one very important use case - in my point of view the main use case of the BTP Trial environment: education. It's the goto platform for learning how things work on the BTP. Get educated on the "cool new sh*t" SAP is offering. Students, Consultants, in-house developers all use the BTP trial to learn, to try out things, to fiddle around and have some fun along the way.

Even the Event Mesh is featured in dozens of blog posts and several tutorials on the developers.sap.com website. BTW on the latter there is still a "BTP Trial setup tutorial" linked as prerequesite..

Some links to proof my point:

https://developers.sap.com/tutorial-navigator.html?tag=software-product%3Atechnology-platform%2Fsap-...

https://community.sap.com/search/?ct=blog&q=SAP%20Event%20Mesh&searchReferrer=contextual_navigation_...

Since gregorw already asked about the Free Tier option, my guess is that there is no possible way left to learn about SAP Event Mesh other than paying for it, correct?

Best Regards

Hendrik
KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Hendrik,

No need to proof your point - you are right with it. The Event Mesh trial was used for education purposes as well and there currently is a gap. On the other hand, there was a different gap before: the use was quite limited in respect to what event sources to use. You simply had a hard time connecting backends to expose events. Education strongly had to focus on the service, not on the content and the ecosystem around. I know this well because I worked on some of the content and you always had to stop when it got interesting.

You are right as well in respect to the current option to get up to speed with Event Mesh: unfortunately this means going for the paid option. Luckily this option is really cheap. I think currently we are talking about around 10 Euros / Dollars for a GB of events. Considering that most events you would play around with for testing purposes are just a few hundred bytes, this takes you a long long way.

Is this ideal? No, certainly not. We do know this and will come up with an option that works for all purposes again, most likely as part of the Integration Suite trial. The same holds true for our second offering SAP Integration Suite, advanced event mesh. We are aware that we need trial options, and are working on these. I would expect some updates here in future and will add them the comment section of this blog as well.

Thanks for your direct and honest feedback. Highly appreciated.

Best,

Karsten
Gryphon
Explorer
0 Kudos
I understand that Event Mesh will not be on trial, so for the BTP trial users, would it be possible to have some documentation which indicates what is and is NOT available on the trial vs licensed options. This will save a lot of time and resources trying to evaluate a solution for a POC.

We do build many POC`s and several sometimes stop working without a warning, it takes some work to dig and find out something changed which we did not know or were not informed about.

I do understand SAP has no obligation to inform trial account users about what works or not, but it would be a BIG help.

Another option is for SAP to grey out the specific tiles under Service Marketplace, so the we know what cannot work with the trial account.

Regards

Ravi Iyer
S0019300750
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't see any new features added to Event Mesh since end of 2021.

https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_EM/bf82e6b26456494cbdd197057c09979f/3f95a8bd58754b61a6e1273364dfd5bf.h...

Is the documentation not up to date? What is future of this service if there are no feature additions?

Regards,

Vinod Patil

KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Vinod,

your original question is quite straightforward to answer: the future of Event Mesh lies in Integration Suite and you can find it on the roadmap there.

This is where it gets a little more challenging: Event Mesh as an event broker as a service with a shared infrastructure is complemented by SAP Integration Suite, advanced event mesh which is geared at more demanding, distributed scenarios and scenarios that require and advanced feature set. Both of these offerings make sense and have specific uses cases.

In order to understand what to use when I recommend the below blogs:

https://blogs.sap.com/2022/09/01/saps-event-driven-ecosystem-revisited/

https://blogs.sap.com/2022/10/03/sap-integration-suite-advanced-event-mesh-vis-a-vis-sap-event-mesh-...

https://blogs.sap.com/2022/10/28/turn-your-erp-into-a-team-player-introducing-sap-integration-suite-...

Best,

Karsten
Venkat_Vyza
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hello @karsten.strothmann

My understanding is: Event Mesh is now available in BTP Trail Account as part of Integration Suite.

I have subscribed to Event Mesh in my BTP Trial Account and now following the below documentation to create Event Mesh Instance.

https://help.sap.com/docs/event-mesh/event-mesh/creating-event-mesh-instance-using-default-plan

Got the below error that refers to your blog

Question 1: Is creating instance for event mesh necessary in this case?

Question 2: If so, please advise how to resolve it. If not, please point me to the right blog / documentation that helps me to complete the configuration to test the Event Mesh functionality with the backend on-premise S/4HANA system.

My objective is: to use the Events in Business Process Automation.

Thank you,

Venkat Vyza