Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

In this blog series you will find quotes, backgrounds, suggested further readings and other information related to my latest book SAP HANA 2.0, An Introduction published by SAP Press.

In this blog we cover updates, upgrades, and migration scenarios. Are you ready?

Last Update: November 19: added SAP Note 2372809.

Need any help?

• If you have a question in general about SAP HANA 1.0 running out of Mainstream Maintenance or if you like to inform us about your Go Live dates, please open an incident at XX-SER-HAN.

• If you are in the process of an upgrade and have technical issues, please contact SAP support by opening an incident on the relevant components with the prefix [HANAUPG].

The Road Ahead

Clear Path to Plan

In a recent blog post, SAP HANA product management announced some minor changes to the end-of-maintenance schedule for SAP HANA. Basically, one month was added for the SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 12 release and two for SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 04 aligning both to end of June 2021. Time of writing, that's 9 months ahead: time to start planning the update or migrate to SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05:

For the official communication, see SAP Notes

In these notes you also find the links to SAP Release Strategy and the SAP HANA Revision Strategy documents.

The good news is that the SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 release, just like SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 12 in the past,  is supported for 5 years until end of June 2025.

A Strong Foundation

We already addressed the new features and highlights of the SPS 05 release in a previous blog but to summarise (leaving out the updates to the SAP HANA 2.0 cockpit administration tool), we can say that SPS 05 mainly provides enhancements to existing features. Capabilities introduced earlier are now marked ready for production like the local secure store (LSS) for master and encryption root keys with key store management (KMS) integration. Another example is the availability of the built-in data tiering feature native storage extensions (NSE) on multiple host systems (scale out).

Of course, when we zoom in we find interesting functionality added to features like SAP HANA Spatial and SAP HANA Graph. However, for the latest and greatest we can now also consider SAP HANA Cloud, database-as-a-service, which has been architected to complement SAP HANA platform on-premises and not to replace it: a single gateway to all your data.

In other words, SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 is not Pandora's box. No major new or re-architecturing as in the past with tenant databases and SAP HANA XS Advanced. Most functionality has already matured over one or more Support Package Packs and multiple revisions: a strong foundation for continued innovation.

Big Steps and Small Steps

Updates and Upgrades

In the spirit of CI/CD (continuous integration/continuous delivery, for those that have not take DevOps 101 yet), SAP HANA revisions are released at regular intervals; as often as every 5-6 weeks in the early days of the appliance although the pace has slowed down considerably since. Revisions contain security updates and corrections (bug fixes in the vocabulary of the developer) but no new functionality. When you are running SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 (revision 50, that is) and you install revision 51 this is considered as an update.

New features are introduced with support package stacks (SPS). To enjoy the new capabilities, you will need to upgrade, for example from SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 04 to the latest SPS 05 release. Technically, this is the same as an update as we are going from one revision to the next but as we now activate new functionality a bit more planning and testing comes into play. As a rule, you can update and upgrade your database from any revision but like with most rules there are some exceptions. Before performing an upgrade make sure to find our whether your system is the rule or the exception.

Migrations

Besides updates and upgrades we also have migrations of course, which could be a little bit more complicated depending on where we are coming from and where we want to go. In some cases, we need to migrate as part of the upgrade. This concerns SAP HANA systems running on IBM Power Systems Big Endian distributions, for example, or when we switch from the SAP HANA XS classic model to advanced.

Migration is also on the agenda when we decide to change the database layer to SAP HANA, move the application stack to SAP S/4HANA, or want to say goodbye to the data center and move to the cloud. For database and application migrations, SAP has launched programs like the Database Migration Factory and S/4HANA Movement. SAP's cloud provider partners, the 'hyperscalers" have given cloud migration some thought as well. More on this below.

Plan Your Upgrade

To-Do List

When we upgrade from SAP HANA 1.0 to SAP HANA 2.0 we are looking at a major version change and this requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some of the required and optional steps.

Required

• Test, test, test

• Upgrade to latest CPU generation (recommended)

• Update the operating system

• Convert to tenant databases

• Verify backups support persistency changes

• Verify revision update path

Optional

• Migrate to SAP HANA XS Advanced

• Transition to SAP HANA Cockpit 2.0 or update SAP Solution Manager

• Install the EPM-MDS plugin

Even when the business applications remain as-is we need to thoroughly test the effect of the upgrade. SAP HANA 2.0 introduces many architectural changes which could impact performance or introduce side-effects. For the details and additional references (KBAs and Notes), see

The to do list comes from SAP Notes

See also the SAP HANA Master Guide

Hardware Upgrade

IBM Power Systems supports both the Big Endian (BE) and Little Endian (LE) architectures but a strategic decision was made by IBM and Red Hat / SUSE Linux to continue with LE only in the future. As a consequence, should you be running SAP HANA 1.0 on IBM Power Systems BE you need to migrate to LE.

Running the latest software version on older hardware rarely works out very well and SAP HANA is no exception. When you are running SAP HANA on Intel architecture you need to upgrade to at least Haswell, released in 2013 to succeed Ivy Bridge. After Haswell, Intel released Broadwell, Skylake, and Cascade Lake, which may perform even better.

Operating System Update

SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 requires the latest SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) operating systems releases. The optimised "for SAP Applications" editions of the OS are highly recommended.

• RHEL 8.1 (7.7) for SAP Applications / SAP HANA

• SLES 15 SP1 (12 SP5) for SAP Applications

For the recommended settings and additional information, see

Tenant Databases (fka MDC)

In the original SAP HANA architecture each system (SID) hosted a single database. SPS 09 (2014) introduced the multitenant database container (MDC) architecture with each system hosting a system database and one or more tenant databases. Another 3 years laters with SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 01 (2017), this architecture was promoted to the default and only supported one.

When upgrading from SAP HANA 1.0 you will need to make a system conversion. This is a simple operation using the HDBLCM database lifecycle management tool. However, operating procedures will need to be updated as well to include system database backups, firewall reconfiguration for additional port ranges, etc.

Besides the changes introduced with tenant databases (the term MDC is no longer used), there are also other changes in the metadata persistence layer and the column store persistence format which may invalidate older backups. Here as well: test, test, test.

XS Advanced

We have already covered the XS Advanced / Cloud Foundry topic in much detail elsewhere in a blog, no need to repeat ourselves here, but in short with SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 11 (2015) a new architecture was added for the built-in application development and runtime environment SAP HANA extended application services, SAP HANA XS in short. Although this new architecture had nothing in common with the initial version, the decision was made to keep the same name and tag the architectures as "model": XS advanced (XSA) and XS classic (XSC) model.

For SAP HANA 2.0, XSA is the default framework for application development while XSC and the associated SAP HANA Repository and SAP HANA Studio IDE have been marked as deprecated. Deprecated means that the software is no longer included in the next major release, which is the case for SAP HANA Cloud. Deprecated does not mean it is no longer supported. It is perfectly fine to continue using SAP HANA XS classic apps and the SAP HANA studio with SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 until at least end of June 2025.

For this reason, XSA is an optional upgrade consideration: It is up to you. However, should you want to continue working with your XS classic apps after 2025, you should at some point think about XS app migration. The good news is that there is a well-documented Migration Guide and a Migration Assistant to automate most of the migration.

SAP HANA Cockpit 2.0

As SAP HANA Cockpit supports both SAP HANA 1.0 and 2.0 releases we can be short about this topic as most enterprises have already implemented this tool to administrate their SAP HANA database landscapes. SAP HANA cockpit is also the tool used (as-a-service) for SAP HANA Cloud resulting in a close to zero learning curve for hybrid and multicloud administration.

In case you prefer to use SAP Solution Manager, some updates and configuration changes are required.

You could, if you wanted, continue to use the SAP HANA Studio Administration perspective for system administration except that for all functionality introduced after SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 12 (2016) you would need to use the SQL Console as there is no corresponding user interface available to administrate user groups, native storage extensions, certificates, SAML and JWT providers, etc., etc. (the list is long).

EPM-MDS and InA

The InformationAccess or InA service was conceived back in the days to enable web client access to SAP HANA models for analytic clients over HTTP/S. It leverages the XS classic architecture and is no longer included with SAP HANA 2.0 by default. To enable this functionality you need to install the plugin for EPM-MDS (Enterprise Performance Management - Multidimensional Services).

Installing the plugin is easy. Making it work can be a little less obvious in particular when reverse proxy, CORS, and SameSite updates are involved but there are video tutorial series that explain exactly what needs to be done.

Migrations

Should the upgrade inspire you for more ambitious projects, here are some pointers with additional information.

Database Migration

As soon as SAP NetWeaver Application Server (AS) ABAP was powered by SAP HANA, tools became available to facilitate database migration from anyDB to SAP HANA, specifically the Database Migration Option (DMO) of the Software Update Manager (SUM), part of the Software Logistics toolset.

Database Migration Factory

More recent and broader in scope, SAP also launched the Database Migration Factory program. This includes not only custom and ISV applications running on anyDB but also Sybase and SAP business applications. The service offering includes the Advanced SQL Migration tool.

Application Migration: Move to S/4HANA | Cloud

In case the focus is on migrating your vintage SAP ERP or SAP Business Suite system to latest-and-greatest, state-of-the-art SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA Cloud, you can join the S/4HANA movement.

Move to SAP HANA Cloud

In case you are considering to say goodbye to your data center, at least for running SAP HANA on-premises, you could migrate to SAP HANA Cloud, database-as-a-service. This also applies if you are running SAP HANA inside a virtual machine (VM) in the data center of a public cloud provider and even, and this may come as a surprise, in case you were an early adopter of the SAP HANA Service. For some scenarios, a migration service and tooling is (becoming) available. For more information about migrations to SAP HANA Cloud, see

https://youtu.be/6YIENPf8SiM

Lift-Shift-and-Tinker

Should you consider to go all the way into cloud computing and want some advice about migration patterns, the 6Rs, and whether to lift-and-shift or lift-tinker-and-shift, here is some guidance from our cloud provider partners.

For the others posts, see

Share and Connect

Questions? Please post as comment.

Useful? Give us a like and share on social media.

Thanks!

If you would like to receive updates, connect with me on

For the author page of SAP PRESS, visit

Over the years, for the SAP HANA Academy, SAP’s Partner Innovation Lab, and à titre personnel, I have written a little over 300 posts here for the SAP Community. Some articles only reached a few readers. Others attracted quite a few more.

For your reading pleasure and convenience, here is a curated list of posts which somehow managed to pass the 10k-view mile stone and, as sign of current interest, still tickle the counters each month.

18 Comments
former_member706069
Discoverer
Hi Denys,

Many thanks for the blog. It is really informative and helpful.

I have one question regarding homogeneous system copy of SAP Hana Database using HSR. Our focus is on minimized downtime. However wanted to know what are the limitations for this method.
We are moving from on-prem to Public cloud and hence would like know more about the method, like how much should be the Network Bandwidth, what should we follow post takeover in the target VM etc. Could you please suggest.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good question! Let me ask around a bit. Any experiences from the community? 

dmcardlenl
Participant
0 Kudos
HANA only or ECC or S/4HANA also?  Build app server in cloud too and just perform a take over so cloud HANA is primary, start app servers and off you go.  Use iperf to test network performance and see if it's compliant with the HCMT/HWCCT tools/recommendations.  I've done this on GCP & AWS - although HSR did most of the heavy lifting...
former_member706069
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your reply. Multiple applications are there including S/4 Hana, NW 7.52,ECC etc. The issue is I have to go on with the approach with existing setup as multiple vendors are involved. So I am looking for the baseline information, limitation etc.

In the SQL statement ZIP there is a SQL “HANA_Replication_SystemReplication_Bandwidth” to determine the required bandwidth to move the persistent data over a Day. I can multiply with the factor to determine the BW required for me. For Example,  lets assume using the SQL I find to move 3 TB of Data I need 1GB/Second, so If I have a downtime windows of 8 hours then I need 3GB/second BW.

But this is my way of calculation, rather assumption and the same will not hold in front of multiple vendors when we present the same. Hence wanted to check if we have any document, information which states about the calculation, limitation of BW.

Second point is, is there any recommendation to setup the multitier replication for production ? As i Know I can’t link the Production directly to target as it can choke the live system, though we will use ASYNC mode.

So my understanding is we will link the DR to target. The replication path Production —-Production DR —Target Hana DB in public cloud. In that case what recommendation I need to follow in terms of replication queue,buffer or any other parameters.

Best Regards,

Debaditya

former_member525009
Discoverer
Hi

Can any one share with me SAP HANA migration export import steps from SAP ASE DB
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Hafiz,

Best to post this comment as a question > answers.sap.com
Hi denys.kempen ,

Do we need to update any parameters in SYSTEMDB or in Tenant DB as part of post HANA 2.0 upgrade?

Kind Regards,

Puneeth H A
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Denys

Sure.Thank you.
Hi Denys,

Is possible to move Hana Cockpit 2.0 standalone instance between hosts? Or do I have to install a new version and redo configurations?

Regards

Manuela Dias
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Manuela,

Good question. Would you mind to post the question to the forum? https://answers.sap.com

This allows for knowledge sharing.

Thx
mrmanchon
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello

And how about the end on mainstream Maintenance of Hana 2.0?

Beta Shipment: 19.10.2016
Release to Customer (RTC): 30.11.2016
General Availability: 01.12.2016 Further Information
End of Mainstream Maintenance: 30.06.2025
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Marta,

What about it? (i.e. what's the question?)
mrmanchon
Explorer
Hi Denys

Thanks for your reply. How about the follow up release olan? Is there any to consider in advanced? 3-5 years strategy

Thanks and regards
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Marta,

You are most welcome.

You can find this documented in the Master Guide

With references to a knowledge base (KB) article and slide deck

mrmanchon
Explorer
Hy Denys

Many thanks for the links, I know these resources, but i would like to know if there is some plan about the next generation/release when Hana 2.0 reaches the last Revision or Maintenance Revision in 2025. Hana 2.0 was the following release for Hana 1.0. Will be a new Hana 3.0 in the future?

Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand my doubts about this evolution oh Hana platform

Kind regards
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Marta,

SAP HANA Cloud is labeled as 4.0 so I guess at least there could be a 3.0 release in the future. However, I have yet to see the first announcement.

After the SPS05 release, which as you mentioned, is supported until 2025, SAP released 2.0 SPS06 in December 2021 on regular 2-year maintenance (December 2023).

There is a road map item for SAP HANA, platform edition. This indicates that there are plans for a next SPS release (presumably "SPS07"),  but again, for as far as I know, no announcements. However, keep in mind that typically public product/release announcements are made only when the product is almost ready for legal motivations.

Since 2020, development focus is on SAP HANA Cloud, as illustrated by the roadmap

==

Answers your question?

(su inglés es muy claro)
mrmanchon
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Denys!!

Thanks for the explanation, the useful links and material. i am going to recap it and wai for the future with patience 🙂

Kind regards