Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
This blog post explains how to automate the workflows easily using the Recorder in Cloud Studio.

Introduction

The Recorder supports SAP Windows GUI and SAP Web GUI applications. The Recorder records the steps you perform across the screens of an application. Screens, elements, and their underlying metadata are automatically captured and properly declared. Then you can export the recording to the automation designer of the Cloud Studio where a workflow is built automatically. The exported recording steps include automatically recorded application screens, elements, metadata, and automation with a workflow made up of activities. If required, you can manually edit the captured screens and elements or edit the automation to update the Step Details.

You can even append new activities to the generated automation.

Pre-requisites

To use the recorder with SAP  WinGUI, SAP scripting and Recording must be enabled in the SAP WIN GUI system.

1.By default the recording option is enabled in your system, if it is not enabled, follow the below steps to enable the recording/

Navigate to the transaction RZ11

Enter the paramter sapgui/user_scripting_disable_recording.

If the parameter is maintained as TRUE, change the value to FALSE.

2.The recording is enabled by default in the SAP WebGUI application. If the recording is not enabled, ask your admin to add the S_WEBGUI authorization Object to your role.

If the recording option is enabled while recording the application you would see the little bulb icon in SAP WebGUI applications.

Automate SAP WinGUI application.

1.Create a project in Cloud Studio.

2.Create an application.

3.Select the WinGUI application which has to be recorded.

4.Select the screen and the Record button would appear instead of the capture button.

Based on the action by the BOT developer based on your action as a bot developer, the Recorder has recorded a series of interactions consisting of various steps across the screens such as:

• Entering data,

• Mouse clicks and movements

• Keystrokes with object controls including input fields, tables, menus, button

Testing the SAP WinGUI Automation

https://youtu.be/3zVRIKc5mQE

Automate SAP WebGUI application.

1.Create a project in Cloud Studio.

2.Create an application.

3.Select the SAP WebGUI application which has to be recorded.

Note: SAP WebGUI applications that are embedded as an IFRAME in the S/4 HANA cloud instance cannot be recorded as of now. This is planned for future releases. We can record only the standalone SAP WebGUI applications.

4.Select the screen and the Record button would appear instead of the capture button.

https://youtu.be/xkKBbIscAqg

Testing the SAP WebGUI Automation

https://youtu.be/XDFlXCi-6fE

Customize the generated automation

We can manually edit the captured screens and elements or edit the automation to update the Step Details.

https://youtu.be/S_nhrgsAgrM

Conclusion

With Low-Code No-code, We have successfully recorded the workflow and simplified capturing the complex applications using Recorder.

26 Comments
Syed
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Impressive. Thanks for sharing
former_member745501
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello

i try this but one error is coming when i Click on record button pop up error is coming recording

cancelled.
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi ramchandrabhadrappa :

Can you let me know what is your Desktop Agent version?
former_member745501
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Desktop Agent Version is 2.0.15.54

Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi ramchandrabhadrappa:.

Can you please update the Core SDK dependency of your project to version 1.14.85. This should definitely solve the issue.

Regards,

Priya
0 Kudos
Hi, I dont see the recording option in my Cloud Studio, how can I activate it? Regards
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

lfperezh :

Can you let me know what is the desktop agent version ,version of SDKs acquired in your project?

Hope the you have enabled scripting and recording parameters  too!

Hi chaitanyapriya.puvvada 

I have set all the parameters in RZ11 as you described:

• sapgui/user_scripting = TRUE
  • sapgui/user_scripting_disable_recording = FALSE
  • Scripting is also enabled for SAPGUI in the options

When I want to capture and record SAPGUI page in the cloud factory every time Technology "UI Automation" is selected and I cannot change to SAPGUI. SDK Version is 1.20.63.

Regards

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi @Dominik Meyer - Did you get a resolution for this? I too face the same problem. chaitanyapriya.puvvada .

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
srinivas1984_rao

Are u facing this issue for Recorder or normal capture of SAP GUI applciations?

When you capture the SAP Logon pad, it is UI automation but the SAP GUI page is captured it automatically changes to SAP GUI.

Can you share the details with screen shots

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi chaitanyapriya.puvvada - Here is the screenshot of the problem that I was mentioning. Could you please let me know if I am missing on any pre-requisites ?

Screenshot

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
srinivas1984_rao

When you are capturing the screen, do u have the selection as below.

When you uncheck Hide Advanced and SAP GUI,the same application is shown as UI automation and also as SAP GUI.

You need to select the proper one which has Technology  as SAP GUI.

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi chaitanyapriya.puvvada - tried doing as per your instructions.

When no filter is applied, the screen is recognized but again with UI automation only as shown below.

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
I had requested to u apply filter and which would give you only SAP GUI so that you don't get confused with UI Automation screen  of the same page.

Please check my screen shots.

See all the highlighted icons.
Srinivas-Rao
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi chaitanyapriya.puvvada - Right. When I have "Hide Advanced" checked, SAPGUI screen is identified with UI Automation technology. When I have "Hide Advanced" and "SAPGUI" checked, then SAP screen is NOT even identified for screen capture. It just does not come up in the list of screens.

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.
0 Kudos
Hello,

I have the same problem exactly with Srinivas Rao. Did you finde the solution?

When opening the Recorder it does not recognize the SAP Logon as an SAP GUI but as an UI Automation.

Thanks,

Aristotelis
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
SAP Logon Pad is recognized as UI Automation only not as SAP GUI..

0 Kudos
Ok, but so does also the SAP Easy Access. Shouldnt it be recognized as SAP GUI?
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
SAP Easy Access is recognised as SAP GUI.

Can you share screen shots of your filter settings and and also the screen capture of Easy access when you are about to start the recording.
0 Kudos

Here are the requested Screenshots. When trying to capture SAP Easy Access I have evreything unchecked in the filters.
0 Kudos

Forgot to post this earlier.
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi aristotelis1srinivas1984_raodo_meyer

Looking at all of your messages, I see that you have already done the Pre-requisites mentioned in the blog post but still are facing the issues of Technology showing as UI automation instead of SAP GUI.

I request all of you do a cross-check if the recording is working or not in your  SAP GUI.

Refer to the blog post and record one step for testing purposes.

If you are not able to see the recording steps in your VB script, then it is an issue at the SAP GUI system where recording is not enabled.Hence you are not able to see the screen when you fliter with SAP GUI in SAP Intelligent RPA ,instead you are able to see as UI automation.

0 Kudos
Yes, I can record everything. But the problem is in the testing. When I click test, it is not executing anything, I could wait for hours and it would still load something. If I record another application as for example excel or so it is working fine and I can test. So I cant test anything in SAP GUI and I dont know exactly the problem. I have also raised another question in the community, where I describe it analytically. You can find it here: Unable Testing SAP GUI with SAP IRPA | SAP Community

I also tried to go in my SAP GUI and make a recording from there, but i cant select thsi option as seen in the screenshot.

Thanks for every tip and help. I highly appreciate that!
Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

aristotelis1

If the Scripting and playback is disabled ,it indicates that scripting is not properly activated properly on SAP GUI system. 

For more details refer to the documentation on SAP GUI Scripting

and Protecting Critical SAP Systems | SAP Help Portal

I had already mentioned these parameters in the post.

Can you please share the screenshots of the below settings in your system

Navigate to RZ11 and check for the values of the below parameters.

• sapgui/user_scripting = TRUE
  • sapgui/user_scripting_disable_recording = FALSE

pratul91
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello chaitanyapriya.puvvada ,

I am trying to record VA01 using Web Gui but the Record button is not appearing.I am getting only Capture button. We have added S_WEBGUI role also to my ID.

My Desktop studio version is 2.0.24.81

Cloud studio screen

Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
pratul91

• Developers with the S_WEBGUI permission can activate the WebguiConnector interface in the WebGUI Settings dialog by setting the checkbox Enable WebguiConnector Interface (S_WEBGUI Permission required)*

• Test with a user that has permissions for S_WEBGUI that the WebguiConnector interface is successfully exposed. This can be done by adding the parameter &sap-remote-plugin=demo to the WebGUI URL. After WebGUI is started a popup should appear Access to WebguiConnector requested, Allow or Deny access? Once the user allows access to WebguiConnector a small icon appears in the upper left corner.