Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
In this post, I introduce you to a brand-new feature for SAP BTP apps – sending user notifications to the SAP Fiori Launchpad. Your business apps can use this capability to inform end-users about events that require their attention - and to offer them a direct option to respond.

Nowadays, it's hard to think of any application that does not make use of notifications in one form on the other - especially in the enterprise context where many items need to be acknowledged by multiple users. A possible scenario for such an application could be a leave request application. End-users can enter the dates they want to enjoy some well-deserved time off and add one or more approvers. When the user hits "Submit", the data is persisted, and one or more notifications are displayed in the SAP Fiori Launchpads of the approvers. From there, they could directly approve or reject the request or navigate to the SAP Fiori app to see all requests in a table.

A leave request application that makes use of notifications

Note that the feature described here is only applicable to the SAP Launchpad service and the SAP Cloud Portal service - both available in SAP BTP.

Disclaimer: This leave request app is only used for display here. If you are writing your own leave request app, it might make sense to leverage the SAP Workflow service to model the approval process.

Also watch this video to learn to see me implementing this sample project.

Notifications in the SAP Fiori Launchpad

The launchpad comes with all the capabilities you would expect from a notification feature. Notifications consist of, among other properties, a translatable title, a translatable description, a timestamp, and a priority level. This priority determines whether the notification will pop up on arrival or if it will just be indicated in the shell bar header.

You can see all active notifications when you click on the notification item from the shell bar. This view also allows you to group the notifications by date, type, or by priority.

The notifications popover

This popup also enabled you to remove notifications with the x button or see available follow-up actions behind the ellipsis (...) button. Follow-up actions consist of a translatable string and go beyond a simple approve/reject; they instead trigger an HTTP request to your backend, allowing you to execute any code.

Your application can create notifications and notification types via a simple CRUD interface, e.g., send an HTTP POST request to create a notification type and send another one to create a notification of this type. Be assured that there are plenty of options for you as a developer, e.g., deciding which values of the notification contain confidential data and which ones don’t. Have a look at the developer documentation to find the complete list of properties and features.

Hands-On

This hands-on will cover a simple scenario in which we trigger a notification from our local development setup. As our web app displays products and their availability, we will trigger notifications for products low on supply.

Seconds after the script runs, we will see a notification in the SAP Fiori Launchpad on SAP BTP. A click on this notification will open an SAP Fiori list report application that shows us various products from the Northwind service.

0. Preparation

But before we start, you need to install a few tools. Install Node.js, mbt, git, and the Cloud Foundry CLI (incl the MultiApps plugin) if you haven’t done so. In case you need help, I recommend following this tutorial group that contains step-by-step guides.

If you don't want to (or cannot) install all these tools, use the SAP Business Application Studio, which already comes with all the needed tools out of the box.

In either case, you also need to subscribe to the SAP Launchpad service and create a launchpad site.

1. Clone and deploy an SAP Fiori app

We won’t implement a full SAP Fiori app to keep things simple and focus only on sending notifications. Therefore, we’ll make use of a well-established sample application from GitHub.
git clone https://github.com/SAP-samples/multi-cloud-html5-apps-samples
cd managed-html5-runtime-fiori-mta
npm install
npm run build
npm run deploy:cf

Check out the full readme on GitHub to learn more about this sample application.

2. Add the sample app to the launchpad

Follow this tutorial here to integrate the SAP Fiori app you just deployed in the SAP Launchpad service. Be aware that the application's name doesn't match the screenshots from the tutorial - you should select the app with the title "Fiori App" and the ID "com.sap.fioriapp" instead.

Once that's done, you should see a list report application that displays product information.

An SAP Fiori list report application.

3. Enable notification for custom applications on SAP BTP

To enable custom apps to publish notifications, they need to send data to the service via a destination.

Follow this guide to generate the notification service's credentials and create a destination based on these credentials.

Launchpad site settings in the admin UI.

Don't forget to enable the "Show Notifications" settings of the Launchpad site that you want to use.

4. Download service instance keys

Run the following commands to create service keys for existing services instances - one for the xsuaa service instance and the other for the destination service instance.

If you wonder where these service instances are coming from, you created them when you deployed the web app in step 1.
cf create-service-key managed-fiori-uaa uaa-key 
cf create-service-key managed-fiori-destination destination-key
cf service-key managed-fiori-uaa uaa-key
cf service-key managed-fiori-destination destination-key

You'll notice that the last two commands print a JSON object that contains the service keys. Copy these JSON objects into a new file with the name default-env.json:
{
"VCAP_SERVICES": {
"destination": [
{
"label": "destination",
"provider": null,
"plan": "lite",
"name": "notification-test-content-destination-service",
"tags": [
"destination",
"conn",
"connsvc"
],
"instance_guid": "00849954-cdd4-4da2-9c94-a77f1eb7e779",
"instance_name": "notification-test-content-destination-service",
"binding_guid": "ae9d65c6-e542-4abd-95c7-94d70c0f52d9",
"binding_name": null,
"credentials": <INSERT CONTENT OF THE FIRST SERVICE KEY>,
"syslog_drain_url": null,
"volume_mounts": []
}
],
"xsuaa": [
{
"label": "xsuaa",
"provider": null,
"plan": "application",
"name": "notification-test-content-xsuaa-service",
"tags": [
"xsuaa"
],
"instance_guid": "abc0c759-4eee-4767-a09f-226e0d20df59",
"instance_name": "notification-test-content-xsuaa-service",
"binding_guid": "5d93c1b7-9940-4676-aeb0-6f055dc94b5a",
"binding_name": null,
"credentials": <INSERT CONTENT OF THE SECOND SERVICE KEY>,
"syslog_drain_url": null,
"volume_mounts": []
}
]
}
}

We'll parse this file later to inject the service keys into our local application.

6. Write files

First, we need to define the dependencies and the main file of this project. To do this, let's create a package.json file:
{
"name": "notifications-demo",
"scripts": {
"start": "node create.js"
},
"dependencies": {
"@sap-cloud-sdk/core": "^1.46.0",
"axios": "^0.21.1"
}
}

Next, we create a utility class util/NotificationAPI.js that encapsulates the APIs calls to the destination into methods. Note that we'll use the SAP Cloud SDK here to elegantly retrieve CSRF tokens and send HTTP requests to the destination we created previously.
const { getDestination, executeHttpRequest, buildCsrfHeaders } = require("@sap-cloud-sdk/core");
const { setLogLevel } = require('@sap-cloud-sdk/util');
setLogLevel('error', 'env-destination-accessor');
setLogLevel('error', 'destination-accessor-vcap');
setLogLevel('error', 'destination-accessor-service');
setLogLevel('error', 'xsuaa-service');
setLogLevel('error', 'proxy-util');
setLogLevel('error', 'http-client');
setLogLevel('error', 'environment-accessor');

const destinationName = "SAP_Notifications";
const notificationEndpoint = "v2/Notification.svc";
const notificationTypesEndpoint = "v2/NotificationType.svc";

async function _getDestination(destinationName) {
const notifServiceDest = await getDestination(destinationName);
if (!notifServiceDest) {
throw new Error(`failed to get destination: ${destinationName}`);
}
return notifServiceDest;
}

class NotificationService {

static async getNotificationTypes() {
const notifServiceDest = await _getDestination(destinationName);
const response = await executeHttpRequest(notifServiceDest, {
url: `${notificationTypesEndpoint}/NotificationTypes`,
method: "get"
});
return response.data.d.results;
}

static async postNotificationType(notificationType) {
const csrfHeaders = await buildCsrfHeaders(notifServiceDest, { url: notificationTypesEndpoint });
url: `${notificationTypesEndpoint}/NotificationTypes`,
method: "post",
data: notificationType,
headers: csrfHeaders,
});
return response.data.d;
}

static async postNotification(notification) {
const csrfHeaders = await buildCsrfHeaders(notifServiceDest, { url: notificationEndpoint });
url: `${notificationEndpoint}/Notifications`,
method: "post",
data: notification,
headers: csrfHeaders,
});
return response.data.d;
}
}

module.exports = { NotificationService };

The following file uses this utility class and adds domain-specific templates for the notifications we want to create. Namely, it defines the template for the notifications and the notification types used by these notifications. The DomainNotifications.js file itself exports the one function that we'll reuse in a moment.
const { NotificationService } = require("./util/NotificationAPI");

const NOTIF_TYPE_KEY = "SupplyWarning";
const NOTIF_TYPE_VERSION = "1.0";

function createNotificationType() {
return {
NotificationTypeKey: NOTIF_TYPE_KEY,
NotificationTypeVersion: NOTIF_TYPE_VERSION,
Templates: [
{
Language: "en",
TemplateSensitive: "Low {{product}} supply ({{stock}} items left)",
TemplatePublic: "Ciritical product supply detected",
TemplateGrouped: "Limited Product Supply of {{category}}",
TemplateLanguage: "Mustache",
Subtitle: "{{product}} needs to be reordered"
}
]
}
}

function createNotification({ product, category, stock, recipients }) {

return {
OriginId: "supply-warn-backend",
NotificationTypeKey: NOTIF_TYPE_KEY,
NotificationTypeVersion: NOTIF_TYPE_VERSION,
NavigationTargetAction: "display",
NavigationTargetObject: "masterDetail",
Priority: "High",
ProviderId: "",
ActorId: "",
ActorType: "",
ActorDisplayText: "",
ActorImageURL: "",
Properties: [
{
Key: "product",
Value: product,
Type: "String",
IsSensitive: false
},
{
Key: "category",
Value: category,
},
{
Key: "stock",
Value: stock,
}
],
Recipients: recipients.map(recipient => ({ RecipientId: recipient })),
}
}

async function publishSupplyWarningNotification(notification) {
const notifTypes = await NotificationService.getNotificationTypes();
const notifType = notifTypes.find(nType => nType.NotificationTypeKey === NOTIF_TYPE_KEY && nType.NotificationTypeVersion === NOTIF_TYPE_VERSION);
if (!notifType) {
console.log(`Notification Type of key ${NOTIF_TYPE_KEY} and version ${NOTIF_TYPE_VERSION} was not found. Creating it...`);
await NotificationService.postNotificationType(createNotificationType());
}
return await NotificationService.postNotification(createNotification(notification));
}

module.exports = { publishSupplyWarningNotification };

We already declared the main file create.js in the project descriptor above. This script uses axios to pull all product data and filters for products of a defined category that are low on supply. It then uses the exported function of the previous file to create a notification per item and finally prints a success message.

Note that you need to add your email address (the one that is linked with your SAP BTP account) in line 21 to receive the generated notifications.
const { publishSupplyWarningNotification } = require("./DomainNotifications");
const axios = require("axios");
require('@sap/xsenv').loadEnv();

const categories = {
2: "Condiments",
4: "Dairy Products",
6: "Meat/Poultry"
};

(async () => {
try {
const res = await axios("https://services.odata.org/V2/Northwind/Northwind.svc/Products?$format=json");

const criticalSupplyOfCategory6 = res.data.d.results.filter(a => a.UnitsInStock <= a.ReorderLevel && a.CategoryID === 6);

await Promise.all(criticalSupplyOfCategory6.map(product => publishSupplyWarningNotification({
product: product.ProductName,
category: categories[product.CategoryID],
stock: `${product.UnitsInStock}`,
recipients: ["marius.obert@sap.com"]
})));

console.log("Success");
} catch (e) {
if (e.response) {
console.error(`${e.response.statusText} (${e.response.status}): ${JSON.stringify(e.response.data.error.message)}.`)
} else {
console.error(e)
}
}
})()

7. See the notification popping up in your SAP Fiori Launchpad

Now it's time to see everything in action. First, open the SAP Fiori Launchpad site that you created before – it doesn't matter if you are at the landing page or an opened SAP Fiori app.

Then run the Node.js project that you just build:
npm install
npm start

Awesome! You just triggered your first notification from a custom-built app.

Alternatively to running the application locally, you can also execute an HTTP client script that does the same for you. gregorw shared his script in the comments below.

Summary

In this post, you've learned:

• Where to find the credentials of the notification API

• That you need to add a new destination for this API

• That you can leverage the SAP Cloud SDK to consume the API

• How to write custom logic that creates notification types and send notifications to business users

Now it's up to you to add this logic into your business apps! Note that you won't need the  default-env.json in a production-ready application as you can achieve the same result with a regular service binding.
43 Comments
sri129225
Participant
Thank you for sharing this wonderful knowledge Marius Obert.
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
It's my pleasure 🙂
andrefernandes
Participant
Hi mariusobert, thank you for the post. It was very useful!

We are currently deploying a MTA project to Cloud Foundry which has a Fiori Launchpad Module. We added the notification service according to this tutorial.

The problem is that the Portal automatically makes this call to the service odata:  /Notifications?$expand=Actions,NavigationTargetParams&$orderby=CreatedAt%20desc&$filter=IsGroupHeader%20eq%20false&$skip=0&$top=27

None of those fields (CreatedAt,Actions,NavigationTargetParams) are actually fields on the Notification entity, as your post shows. Therefore, the call fails and the UI displays an error.

Have you seen something similar before?

Best regards,

André
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the notification service of the Launchpad module 😕
gregorw
Active Contributor
Hi Marius,

thank you for the great writeup. Have you tried to use the Cloud SDK generator to create the API Proxy from the OData Service Metadata?

What might be helpful for others trying the notifications is this REST Client script: tests/notification.http. I've used this to get my first notifications working.

Best regards
Gregor
gregorw
Active Contributor
Would be good to know if Notifications can be used in the Launchpad Module as this is currently the only way to get a Launchpad for Multi-Tenant applications.
jlussert
Explorer

Hey mariusobert
pretty nice blog and thanks for sharing 🙂 it works fine

Just two little mistakes I found, maybe you can edit them.

1. You named the script name "test" in the package.json

"test": "node create.js"

And called it with with this command at step 7

npm install
npm start

It needs to be "start" in the package.json or npm test in the bash command

2. You name the js file "DomainNotification.js"

But you require it with this snippet

const { publishSupplyWarningNotification } = require("./DomainNotifications");

There is a typo. The s is too much.

Hope this don't seems picky.

Stay healthy and regards

Johannes

Hi Johannes, as this is a community, contribution is always welcome and not seen as picky 🙂

Thanks Marius for this great Blog!
The Notifications service is not supported for the Launchpad Module.
Frank1
Participant
Thanks a lot for sharing.
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Hi Johannes,

thanks for being so alert and providing feedback - I appreciate it much!

The mistakes should be fixed now.
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Hi Gregor,

Can you please explain what you mean with "to create the API Proxy from the OData Service Metadata"? I'm not sure if I understand but I guess this means the answer is "No, I haven't tried it"

The REST client script looks cool, I'll link it above so that others can find it easier.
gregorw
Active Contributor
Hi Marius,

please check out Generate an OData client for JavaScript. The same is possible for Java: Generate a Typed OData Client With the OData Generator. Would be great if similar to the pre-Generated clients for the S/4HANA Cloud API's that can be installed via npm also the SAP BTP APIs would have a pre-generated Client for Java and JavaScript.

Best regards
Gregor
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Ah, I think I understand it now. You mean that I could use the OData Generator to combine it with the code that triggers the event to replace the Northwind service, right?
gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
No, I mean the code that you've created in util/NotificationAPI.js could be generated using the OData Generator.
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Ah, nice! I had no idea.
majaramos
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi, thanks a lot for share this guide.

I have a problem when i do the "npm start" it shows a message: "Error: Unable to get access token for "destination" service! No service instance of type "destination" found". I'm usign VSCode. This is the structure of my project.

adtoth
Participant
Helpful blog, thanks a lot for sharing. Is there a way to send notifications from onprem S4HANA to BTP Cloud Fiori Launchpad?
AviadRivlin
Advisor
Advisor
We are working on it (from SAP perspective...).
MichaelBeining
Participant
Hi mariusobert,

thanks a lot for your inside and the hands-on explanation! I will definetly try it out!

Just a short architecture question for clarification. The same notification logic applies also for SAP Work Zone, because it uses the Shell/Notification Service from the Launchpad Service or is there another implemenation logic needed. I hope not!

Thanks and all the best!

Michael

FYI: aviad.rivlin, thomas.hensel2, itay-zur
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
That probably means the content of your default-env file is wrong.

Can you double check that you follow the same patters as mentioned above and that you pasted the correct service keys?
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Hi Micheal,

thanks for your kind words. I'm not too deep in the SAP Work Zone topic yet. So I'll leave this for Aviad and team to answer.
AviadRivlin
Advisor
Advisor
We plan to align the notifications logic. I assume aligned with your expectations... 🙂
Evg
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Marius ,

thanks for sharing everything works as expected.

I wanted to extend the navigation to an app with a parameter

like it described in the documentation

Notification Properties

TARGETPARAMETERS (optional)

• Key

• Value

Yes Name value pairs that are forwarded to the target application specified in the NavigationTargetObject property.

The extended part:

Recipients: recipients.map(recipient => ({ RecipientId: recipient })),

TARGETPARAMETERS : [

{

Key : "id",

Value :hint_id (the key eg "123")

},

]

but the API responses to me with
Bad Request (400): {"lang":"en","value":"Illegal argument for method call with message 'TARGETPARAMETERS'."}.

do you have an idea what could be wrong ?

Br
Evgeniy
Evg
Explorer
i was able to solve it by my self
its case sensitive:

TargetParameters instead of TARGETPARAMETERS
now it works
thank you
br Evgeniy

mmoyse
Explorer
Hi Marius,

Great blog, but I did notice that on your template for the default-env.json you've put:
<INSERT CONTENT OF THE FIRST SERVICE KEY>

for the destination service key when it's actually the second and vice versa for the uaa service key.

Matt
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your blog.

I created a custom UI5 application and the problem I've faced is that the Notifications I've created in Postman don't appear on the Launchpad (but I managed to get them via Postman with grant type: password credential).

Do you have any ideas why it happens?

Best regards,

Palina

0 Kudos
Hi Marius,

Thanks for your blog
cd managed-html5-runtime-fiori-mta

The file name has been changed in Git Repository, Please update

manage-html5-runtime-fiori-launchpad-mta

thanks,

Pravin Kumar V
anthony_cassidy
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Palina, the technique used in the code uses 3 steps, which can be reproduced in Postman as follows:

1. GET access token using token url. This get can be done via the "Get New Access Token" button in Postman, using ClientCredentials grant type, the ClientId and Client Secret - and doesn't need its own Postman request. Ensure token url has "/oauth/token" at the end

2. GET to Notification destination to obtain CSRF (with Authorization set to OAuth2.0, using the token from 1, and using Header Prefix as "Bearer "), and also adding a header "X-CSRF-Token" with a value of "Fetch")

3. POST to Notification destination to generate the bell notification in Launchpad (with Authorization set to OAuth2.0, using the token from 1, and using Header Prefix as "Bearer ") and  with a header of "Cookie" set to the two "set-cookie" values returned from 2, one after the other with a ";" separating them, a second header of "X-CSRF-Token" set to the csrf token returned by 2, and with the body being the JSON from the post.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Anthony.
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

Actually, I did the same things, but there are no Notifications in Launchpad.

I was able to GET Notifications via Postman, but they don't appear in Launchpad.

I had a discussion with the developers of the Notification service and they confirmed I did everything correctly. Probably I need to reach out to FLP service developers.

Best regards,

Palina

gregorw
Active Contributor
Hi Palina,

I'm working with the notifications for quite some time. Please check out my REST Client script notification.http to try it out.

Best Regards
Gregor
0 Kudos
Hi Gregor,

I did all the steps according to your notes and finally, the Notification was shown 🙂

Thanks a lot, I think I had some problems with tokens, that's why it didn't appear before.

Just one note: the method (line 94) GET /v2/Notification.svc/Notifications returns Not implemented

Best regards,

Palina
Ranjith
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your blog

ankurbabu
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi mariusobert

Really nice blog and the implementation also worked well. However, the date in our notifications are not showing in proper format as mentioned in documentation and in this demo. Could you please guide on how to make it formatted correctly? Also, the time is always shown as UTC time (we are in CET).

We could not find anything related to date formatting in documentation.

Date format

ankurbabu
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi evgeniy ,

we are facing issues during navigation after clicking on Notifications. We have a Fiori application with Worklist-Object page template and on click of notification we would like to navigate to the Object page directly but it is not working.

When we use the app (without clicking on notification) and go to object page after clicking an item on worklist table, it navigates to URL (which is expected routing behavior and works fine):

https://xxx-site.launchpad.cfapps.xx.hana.ondemand.com/site/yyyy-dev#requests-display?&/Requests/10000472

But when we click on notification and try to navigate, the url is generated as (which does not work):

https://xxx-site.launchpad.cfapps.xx.hana.ondemand.com/site/yyyy-dev#requests-display?Requests=10000472

In the TargetParameters, we defined as:
TargetParameters : [
{
Key : "Requests",
Value : '10000472'
}
]

And code in manifest.json file for routing is:
"routes": [ { "name": "Master", "pattern": "", "target": "master" },

{ "name": "Detail", "pattern": "Requests/{request}", "target": "detail" }],

Do you maybe know what we are doing wrong, or how to define the Target and navigation parameters correctly for Notifications?
Cristian
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi experts,

One quick question.

Is it possible to add attachments within the notification? Otherwise, if that is not possible, is it possible to add an action to call a REST Service to retrieve a document?

We need to inform a user that a spreadsheet is available for them to download and we are thinking about this option.

Thanks,

C.
sreehari_vpillai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
gregorw how did you manage this error while cds import of v2 metadata ?

"Edm.Guid" is not supported (in element:"NotificationTypeId") 

Used String(32) instead ?

Sreehari
huijiezhang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi experts,

is it possible to send a notification to all application users (a broadcast), instead of specifying recipients one-by-one?

Thank you

huijiezhang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Marius and all,

Is it possible to send a notification to all users (broadcasting) instead of specifying recipients one-by-one?

Thank you

thomasnelissen
Participant
0 Kudos
When trying to create a notification I get a HTTP 500:

POST https://notifications.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/v2/Notification.svc/Notifications

{ "NotificationTypeKey": "Test", "NotificationTypeVersion": "0.3", "Priority": "High", "Recipients": [ { "RecipientId": "nelisth@cronos.be" } ]}

Response 500:

{ "error": { "code": "500", "message": { "lang": "en", "value": "Failed to create notification" } }}

Any clues what could cause this?
Hello,

could you try adding an empty 'Properties' array to the request body like this:

{ "NotificationTypeKey": "<some_key>", "NotificationTypeVersion": "<some_version>", "Priority": "High", "Properties": [], "Recipients": [ { "RecipientId": "<some_email>" } ]}
ADR
Participant
Thanks Konstantin. I was facing the same issue and it is now resolved after passing empty "Properties" as per your suggestion.
ngoxuanhieu
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi mariusobert ,

I follow your steps and able to generate the notification.

I just wonder how to implement the "ExecuteAction" for Reject or Approve button.

As per documentation https://help.sap.com/docs/build-work-zone-standard-edition/sap-build-work-zone-standard-edition/deve...,

I have the request payload for example:
{
"NotificationId": "42010aee-2870-1eda-aaab-f67163e06fd3",
"ActionId": "0002"
}

with the NotificationId I suppose I can get the detail of the notification, include the TargetParameters, there I have the information to process further. 

But the GET method is not implemented.

Thefore I do not know the how to implement for method ExecuteAction.

Do you have any hint for me?

Thank you so much,

Hieu