Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirm_kol
Participant
Note (update - February 27): SAP Business Application Studio Beta ended at the end of January. It is now generally available for customers on AWS, Azure and Alibaba Cloud. Trial environment coming in the upcoming weeks.

Original text: 

At TechEd 2019, we introduced SAP Business Application Studio, a modular development environment available on SAP’s Multi-Cloud environment (Cloud Foundry), tailored for developing business applications for the SAP Intelligent Enterprise.

SAP Business Application Studio is an evolution of SAP Web IDE, the current development environment. It provides an improved development experience which is consistent with leading IDEs in the market. It better addresses the needs of full stack and cloud application developers with better code editors for Java and Node, desktop like experience, command line tools, superior debugging capabilities and much more. It also includes many productivity tools that you might be familiar with in SAP Web IDE.

It provides turn-key solutions based on Dev-Spaces . A Dev-Space is a pre-configured environment (virtual machine on the cloud) where you can develop, build, test and run using pre-installed runtimes and tools. Each Dev-space is suited for the development of the target scenarios such as SAP S/4HANA extensions, Business Services, Fiori, and more.

SAP Business Application Studio is based on standards and open sources e.g. Eclipse Theia IDE, which embraces VS Code extensions and experience.

Availability

SAP Business Application Studio is now available for Beta on SAP’s Multi-Cloud environment (Cloud Foundry)! It can be enabled in a Cloud Foundry sub account that has the "Beta features" check box enabled.

At this time, you will be able to try it out by building business applications for SAP multi-cloud environment (CF) for the following use cases:  SAP S/4HANA extensions, business services and full stack business applications using SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CAP) with Java or Node.js. In addition, you will be able to build Fiori freestyle apps for SAP multi-cloud environment (CF).

It is planned to be generally available in the first half of 2020.

Contact us if you wish to participate in our customer engagement initiative for SAP Business Application Studio early adopters.

SAP Web IDE

SAP Web IDE Full stack will continue to be available and supported. It is recommended to be used as the main development environment while you try out SAP Business Application Studio.

Try it out

You can try on your own the following exercises that were delivered at SAP TechEd:

High-Level Roadmap*:

• Additional productivity tools: project generation wizards, catalog to consume services, Cloud Foundry tools , tool to easily run the app and more.

• More use-cases: Mobilize Your Business, SAP Leonardo

• Adding support for more SAP technologies: SAP Cloud Workflow, SAP Fiori Elements, SAP HANA native development

• More target runtimes: SAP Fiori development for on-premise ABAP

• Test & Evaluation: trial environment

*This is the current state of planning and may be changed by SAP at any time.

Stay tuned for more exciting news on SAP Business Application Studio…

Nir
48 Comments
maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Awesome news!!!  Excited to try this from the day it was announced ? Already sent the mail for access.

maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor

I got it worked by assigning the role template. If anyone is getting access denied error, just check this tweet from rsletta

https://twitter.com/rsletta/status/1184184037415489541

UxKjaer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Awesome. Really lloking forward to what this leads to. Any plans on doing a module for deploying to on premise netweaver server for the ui5 development?
vobu
Active Contributor
Quite a big leap in terms of dev environments!

And because you mentioned the VS Code compatibility: will there be extensions released for VS code or is this going to be a "use SAP Businnes Application Studio as a whole or don't use it at all"-approach?
nirm_kol
Participant
Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, deploy to on-premise is on the roadmap. Stay tuned...

nirm_kol
Participant
Hi Volker,

Yes, we plan to release selected extensions to VS Code.
WRoeckelein
Active Participant
Hi nirm.kol ,

looking forward to this!

The documentation link on th subscribe page in SCP CF Cockpit (https://help.sap.com/viewer/9d1db9835307451daa8c930fbd9ab264/Cloud/en-US/19611ddbe82f4bf2b493283e0ed602e5.html) gives unfortunatly a 403.

Regards,

Wolfgang
Lisi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It should be working now. Please try again.

Regards,

Lisi

pierre_dominique2
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi,

I just opened an issue for the CAA265 Hands-on tutorial: https://github.com/SAP-samples/cloud-cap-walkthroughs/issues/5

Apparently the yeoman generator for Fiori apps cannot be found.

Cheers,

Pierre
0 Kudos

Hi Pierre,

On which landscape are you working on?

Best Regards,

Rafi

pierre_dominique2
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Rafi,

I'm on eu10cf.applicationstudio.cloud.sap.

Pierre
DaniEmmenegger
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello,

How can I switch on the beta features on my trial-subaccount? I saw the information, but can't find how to change it...

Regards,

Daniel
Hi Pierre,

Please create a new SAP Cloud Business Application Dev Space and try again, it will work now.

Best Regards,

Rafi
gregorw
Active Contributor
Hi Lisi,

even with an authenticated user I still get the 403 that Wolfgang reported.

CU
Gregor
maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
yeah Same for me as well!!
0 Kudos
Hello,

As you mentioned, this is available on CF. But my trial account CF is expired. Is there any other way to try out Application Studio now?

Regards,

Ankit
Lisi
Advisor
Advisor
Hi Daniel,

SAP Business Application Studio is not available on trial accounts yet.

You can access it only from productive accounts.

Regards,

Lisi
Lisi
Advisor
Advisor
Hi Ankit,

SAP Business Application Studio is not available on trial accounts yet.

You can access it only from productive accounts.

Regards,

Lisi
htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I was able to activate it in my trial account. You have to enable the Beta features for that. I think this is only possible if your create a new subaccount. Haven't found the switch in my "trial" subaccount.
htammen
Active Contributor
Is there a way to give feedback using an agile method like slack, twitter, ... or do we have to participate in the customer engagement initiative? Wouldn't like to do so, even cause I'm testing it currently in my trial account and don't plan to use it in a production account.

For a product that's in beta it's important to get as much response as possible I think. So there should be open channels to give feedback. My suggestion is Spectrum. Theia is also using it

Regards Helmut
former_member201114
Participant
same here 😞
mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
helmut.tammen2 Are you sure? This shouldn't be possible (I cannot see it in my trial, as expected)
maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
It works for me as well, I am using trail account.
former_member201114
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there,

i tried this on a production SCP CF account, i have all roles in global and subaccounts but it dont let me create a so called “dev space” from within the application studio!

What am i missing here?

Regards,

Nils

htammen
Active Contributor
Someone from your beautiful company switched it off. THANK YOU SAP.

@SAP. You should have learned from the experiences the UI5 team made with an open community. They got so much input from all these developers in the wild that in the end they have created a product that is usable inside and outside the SAP world. The outside world is much bigger and compares your products with products from other global players like Facebook, Google, Amazon, ...

I know that you fear an overload and DNS errors if too many people are working with the new IDE. But a DNS error during beta phase is not as bad as a product that will not be used by the majority of people.

A lot of people who are out in the wild are no customers but consultants. They cannot test it at production servers paid by their customers. Therefore they need a space (trial) where they can play around with this tool.

I hope someone who is responsible for the shut down of trial support does read this.
pierre_dominique2
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Rafi,

I just did it and everyhting works fine now. Thanks!

Pierre
Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos
Works nicely and looks great ... will try to explore further in the coming weeks 🙂

Any plans for adding ABAP cloud support as well in the future ?

And yeah ... getting the 403 error as well on the doc link ...

Thanks for this great step forward,

Steven
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi,

The issue has been fixed.

The documentation is now available.

Best Regards,

Keren

keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Helmut,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, we will create a communication channel for feedback in addition to the customer engagement initiative.

Best Regards,

Keren
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

Do you see the Create Dev Space button?

Take a look at the documentation on Dev Spaces -

https://help.sap.com/viewer/9d1db9835307451daa8c930fbd9ab264/Cloud/en-US/2026cb96e1c9491387fd99fe1d6...

Keren
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the feedback!

ABAP development is currently not planned.

The documentation is now available.

Best Regards,

Keren
htammen
Active Contributor
Hi Keren,

thanks. Good to see that you (SAP) listen to customer and consultant demands 🙂

Best regards
Helmut
Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Keren,

What about the Process Orchestration future? Do we still talk in terms of NetWeaver (7.6) or can we expect to use this tool for development?

Thanks a lot.
Dimitri
maxstreifeneder
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
hi helmut.tammen2

this should work now in the beta enabled subaccount of your SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry trial.

Cheers,
Max
htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Max,

thank you for the information. Shouldn't there be a subscription tile in my beta enabled organisation? Can't find it.

Regards Helmut
daniel_wang
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,

I got following error when open the application. How to fix? I am working in AWS Canary.
404 Not Found: Requested route ('xxx.cfapps.sap.hana.ondemand.com') does not exist.

Best regards,
Daniel
former_member332409
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi nirm.kol,

we were able to launch the business application studio earlier, but from some reason from yesterday on wards we are no longer able to launch it, during the space creation it throws an error, the status quickly changes from STARTING (amber) to ERROR, and it doesnt shown any error details as well, could you please throw some light on this.

Regards,

Srinivas Divakarla
former_member332409
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Under the network tab, I can see the error states as "Error creating a workspace resource of kind ConfigMap"

Regards,

Srinivas Divakarla
0 Kudos
SAP CF account created time ago - perfectly working; subaccount marked as "BETA" - under this sub account an ABAP on Cloud instance is running.
Definitively service "SAP Business Application Studio" not available in any service list at any level: subaccount, space, ....

What's wrong?
Regards
Massimiliano
maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Yeah still can't find it..

Br,

Mahesh
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Daniel,

Please send us an email to sapwebide@sap.com

Thanks,

Keren
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

Are you using a trial or productive account?

Thanks,

Keren
0 Kudos
Hi Srinivas Divakarla,

Do you still experience issues?

Best Regards,

Rafi
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are trying to subscribe to SAP Application Studio, but cannot find it in Subscriptions.

We already activated BETA für our subaccount.

Is there a trick?

Thank you!

Matthias

Lisi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Matthias,

The beta period of SAP Business Application Studio ended on Jan 31.

At this time, SAP Business Application Studio can be used on productive accounts.

Best Regards,

Lisi
0 Kudos
Hi Lisi,

thank you for the fast response. We also tried to activate SAP Business Application Studio on our productive account, but it is just not there.

We also created  new subaccounts with different settings, but always the same.

Any ideas where to find some kind of tutorial?

Thank you!

Matthias

former_member307654
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Same Here! 😞
keren_rotenberg
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

You can use this link https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/appstudio-fioriapps-create.html  and documentation.

Which region are you using?