Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus_Berg
Advisor
Advisor

Storing and managing documents is an essential part of our customers business. When looking at SAP S/4HANA, mainly two main sources exist for documents. The SAP Document Management, handling attachments, and the output management, represented by the different output solutions.

From a customer/partner perspective these documents usually belong together (for example attachments of an invoice and the invoice document itself, created during the output process). Hence, they seek information on how to handle these documents properly, especially when using third party storage solutions.

With this blog I would like to provide more details on how output documents are handled by the output solutions NAST-based output control and SAP S/4HANA Output Control.

After reading this blog you should understand the common parts and the current differences on how output documents are handled by these two output solutions and how it’s impacting you.

Note: This blog only applies for the following editions: SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition.

Storing Documents with NAST Output Control

In my example for NAST-based output control (short: NAST) I assume the output documents shall finally be stored in an external system, for example using a third party solution. This is configured accordingly using the KPRO configuration and the possibility of assigning one or more storage categories via Archive Link. I further assume that all required setup in the NAST is made to use Archive Link to handle the output documents on SAP side. How these things can be setup is not part of this blog.

Based on this setup the overall process for storing output documents looks like this:

NAST_1.png

Storing Output Documents with NAST

It starts with the business application triggering the output via NAST. Based on the application type and the corresponding Archive Link configuration, the system will store the metadata of the output document and its object relations in the Archive Link tables (TOA*).

The content and some basic information (file name, mime type, document reference) are transferred by the KPRO runtime via HTTP to the external system. This means the external system does not get all the available information about the output document in the first place. So typically, the full access to the output document information is only possible via the SAP applications.

It also means, any additional information required by the external system would need to be retrieved in a second step. This is shown here:

NAST_2.png

Retrieving additional information (NAST)

Via a callback to the SAP S/4HANA system additional information can be retrieved, for example via a non-SAP web service call. As Archive Link is used in the example, the first query can retrieve the information from the corresponding TOA* tables. When using the object relations, a further navigation to the corresponding business document, e.g. a Purchase Order, is possible and a broad range of information can be retrieved.

Storing Documents with SAP S/4HANA Output Control

In my example for SAP S/4HANA Output Control (short: Output Control) I assume the output documents shall also finally be stored in an external system, for example a third party solution. This is configured accordingly using the KPRO configuration. By default, only one storage category can be used (SOMU).

For this setup the overall process to store output documents looks like this:

OC_1.png

Storing Output Documents with Output Control

It starts with the business application triggering the output via the Output Control. The system will store the metadata of the output document and its object relations in the tables of Output Control (APOC).

The content and some basic information (file name, mime type, document reference) are transferred by the KPRO runtime via HTTP to the external system. This means the external system does not get all the available information about the output document in the first place. So typically, the full access to the output document information is only possible via the SAP applications.

It also means, any additional information required by the external system, would need to be retrieved in a second step. This is shown here:

OC_2.png

Retrieving additional information (Output Control)

Via a callback to the SAP S/4HANA system additional information can be retrieved, for example via a non-SAP web service call. As Output Control is used in the example, the first queries can retrieve the information from the corresponding APOC* tables. When using the object relations, also a further navigation to the corresponding business document, e.g. a Purchase Order, is possible and a broad range of information can be retrieved.

Comparing NAST and Output Control

Let’s put the information into a more compact form:

NAST SAP S/4HANA Output Control
Using multiple storage categoriesYesNo
Using Archive LinkYesNo
Using KPROYesYes
Providing basic information via KPRO to external systemYesYes
Need Non-SAP callback to SAP S/4HANA system for additional information?Yes (Custom development)Yes (Custom development)
Starting point for external callArchive Link tables (TOA*)Output Control tables (APOC*)

Conclusion

When looking at this comparison you will notice that the differences are not that big. When using SAP S/4HANA Output Control you are currently limited to one storage category, and you need to look at different tables when you need to retrieve additional information.

9 Comments
SergioFerrariIt
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for the interesting blog Markus !

While reading I expected a mention to the SAP Document Management service of the SAP BTP. In case, could you spend a couple of words also on it?

I believe that, implicitly, it is an option for what in the picture is named "External System" and that it is a kind of suggested/preferred solution for that.

Markus_Berg
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Sergio,

The SAP S/4HANA Output Control is currently not using the SAP Document Management on BTP. NAST anyway is in maintenance mode and also does not have any built-in integration.

Hence whatever the external system technically is, will not change anything of the described status quo.

Regards,

Markus
ysuzuki
Newcomer
0 Kudos
Hi Markus,

Very helpful documentation!

We are in a phase of migrating our ERP system to S/4 HANA. If I change the Content Repository SOMU_DB from "SAP System Database" to "HTTP Content Server" and use our own specific Content Server, can I set up the landscape you have described here ?

My second question is about retrieving the document stored in the External System (Content Server). Do the S/4 HANA Business applications allow me to do so or some custom development is required ?

Best regards

Yuichi
Markus_Berg
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Yuichi,

I am no expert with the details of setting up the external storage systems but using HTTP Content Server is  definitely required.

For retrieving additional information, custom development is necessary. This is illustrated as "Non-SAP Web Service Call".

Regards,

Markus
aditya_palekar
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

I was reading through this note 2791338 - FAQ: SAP S/4HANA output management which brought me to this blog. This is really useful information you have provided.

My question is whether the transfer of a document from Output Management in S/4HANA to an External Content server* is a standard configuration or does it require custom development.

^can be OpenText Content Server or BTP Document Service, etc.

For example a customer may require to store each outputted instance of a digitally signed external facing document such as Purchase orders or Invoices. Their auditors may ask such documents any point in time.

Regards,

Aditya

Markus_Berg
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Aditya,

The setup of the SAP S/4HANA Output Control includes setting up a storage category and system.

The output documents would automatically be stored in the corresponding storage location which is defined there. 

The access to the document from the S/4HANA system would always be guaranteed for business users via the embedding of the output control into the corresponding business application apps/UIs. 

Regards,

Markus

Geschu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

please can you give us an advice as we step into this trap.

We are a S/4 Cloud, private edition customer and sticked to the advice to use new Output Management.

Many thanks,
Gerhard

thomas_mller13
Participant
0 Kudos

What problem is solved by the new output control that hasn't been solved by Archive Link?

Geschu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

My previous comment was broken please can you give us an advice as we step into this trap.

We are a S/4 Cloud, private edition customer and sticked to the advice to use new Output Management.

But now Output Management with some BRF+ additions prevent using SAP BTP DMS (integration + repository option) in order to store linked/attached documents of SAP business objects (eg purchase order, outbound invoices) and eventually Generic Object Services.

I’m wondering because public edition customer must use new output management and privat edition customer which use new output management because it was advised (like us) are blocked from solution SAP BTP DMS. That’s makes now sense for me. If I had a look into the roadmap of output management there is not really much.

Now we are lost and have to look for a 3rd party DMS solutions which support CMIS.

Do you know if there is a working workaround besides your mentioned KPRO-driven „Storing Documents with SAP S/4HANA Output Control“?

Many thanks,

Gerhard