Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

With our latest release of SAP Mobile Start, we added three main new features, besides some smaller round-off topics:

• Watch support for iOS

• Watch support for Android

• Enhanced in-app browsing experience (iOS)

• Additional native business information for to-dos

So, let’s jump in.

Watch
With SAP Mobile Start Version 1.6, our app is available both as a mobile app and as a watch companion app. The watch app shows your latest to-dos, as well as monitoring information, as you already know it from your mobile app. For best user-experience, you can filter the different to-do types, drill into the details and even take actions on suitable to-do types. With Apple Watch complications, you can even see the amount of your open to-dos and monitoring information on your main watch screen.

Admins can enable or disable the support of the SAP Mobile Start watch app (watchOS and Wear OS) for all users. By default, the smartwatch functionality is disabled and needs to be enabled manually via a toggle in the SAP Mobile Services Admin Cockpit.

SAP Mobile Start Browser for iOS (recommended)
With the release of SAP Mobile Start Version 1.6, the iOS app offers a new and improved in-app browser experience for UI5 and web apps. With the new browser, you get a more intuitive navigation bar and most of the actions from the tool bar got moved into a nice overflow menu, which reduces the "visual noise" on the screen.

Existing customers of SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition need to enable the new SAP Mobile Start browser for iOS manually via a toggle in the SAP Mobile Services Admin Cockpit. For all new customers of SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition, the new browser is enabled by default.

Additional native business information for to-dos 
With our SAP Mobile Start V.1.6 release, we support a common data model, which is a declarative approach that allows dynamic native rendering for task details. This allows us to provide more native content for tasks via SAP Mobile Start. 

For further info on the new topics, please check our SAP Mobile Start administration guide (iOS / Android).

I hope you like our latest enhancements and new features. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Post your questions or feedback about SAP Mobile Start in the Q&A area. Start by visiting your SAP Mobile Applications community page and click “follow”. We’ll be publishing more informative blog posts. Want to be notified? Check your #communications to ensure you have your settings activated.

12 Comments
Dominik_Neumann
Explorer
Nice update! The link to the Help Portal regarding the setup of the SAP Mobile Start browser for iOS is not working (yet) though. I found the settings anyway, it's a feature flag on the Mobile Settings Exchange screen within the SAP Mobile Services configuration of SAP Build Work Zone, Standard Edition.
JeremyCoppey
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear,

The url to the documentation of mobile start is not working:

mobile start blog url broken

Looks like you use a link with the parameter "&state=DRAFT"

In the mean time i use this url to have access to the help doc: Admin Cockpit Access Control | SAP Help Portal

For the rest thank you for this new update. I'm already testing this right now.

We noticed big UX differences in the mobile start apps in the iOS version vs the Android version. Where the Android app really didn't feel intuitive. Would love to have a discussion on this topic with the dev/UX team.

Kind regards

Jérémy

ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Thanks Dominik, it should work now. Best Thilo
ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Thanks Jérémy,

the link should work now. With regards to the UI behaviour, we would be interested in your feedback.

Could you please contact me directly thilo.berndt@sap.com and we can set-up a meeting.

Thanks, Thilo
nicolai1983
Explorer
0 Kudos
Nice blog.!

In relations to the Mobile Destinations under "mobile connectivity".

I can't seem to get a connection and I can't find any documentation on the specific Mobile Destination setup (URL) when using SAP Start.

Any information on that?

florian_lusch
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear Thilo,

sadly the improved in-app browser is not supported by Azure / Conditional Access: https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/active-directory/conditional-access/technical-reference#supported-b...

Thilo, you can take a look at incident 253902 / 2023 - I think the chances of success are much higher if "big SAP" talks with Microsoft.
We would very much like to use the new in-app browser, without loosing the Conditional Access in Azure.

Br,

Florian
ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Florian,

thanks for your comment. We are already looking into this and will get back to you.

Best regards, Thilo
florian_lusch
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks Thilo, looking forward to hearing from you 🙂
florian_lusch
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi thilo.berndt,

any news about this topic?

Best regards,

Florian
ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Florian,

thanks for checking. We are on it and will get back to you as soon as we will hear back.

Thanks and best regards,

Thilo
maulikparekh
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello,

Can you please suggest admin settings (exact path guidance in Admin cockpit) in SAP BTP/ SAP Work Zone to connect/ enable SAP Mobile Start for apple watch please.

Thank you

ThiloBerndt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Dear Maulik,

thanks for your question. To enable the watch, you can find the respective feature flag in mobile services.

Please also see our documentation:

SAP Mobile Services Admin Cockpit.

Watch Feature Flag

Best Thilo