Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katrin_polloczek
Employee
Employee

I recently joined the SAP Screen Personas team as product owner. The opportunity to pursue my passion of working closely with customers, influence a very strategic product in SAP’s user experience portfolio, and join an amazing team made it very easy to say yes to this role. In this blog post, I’ll introduce myself, go into a bit more depth about each of the reasons I joined the group, and request your ideas for where we take the product in the coming years.

The SAP Screen Personas team has a reputation for building close relationships with customers

When speaking with colleagues as I was considering the product owner role, I often heard the excitement when people talked about solving customer problems. Part of this is instilled into the team culture of everyone participating in a regular rotation on customer support. By reviewing incidents first-hand, everyone can build empathy for challenges a customer might face.

Meetings with individual customers are also a great source of input. In addition to individual customer meetings, for the past eight years, my colleague, Peter Spielvogel, has been running our monthly SAP Screen Personas practitioner forum to build a community of like-minded customers and partners. During this time, we have seen 80+ demos from customers and partners that use SAP Screen Personas to simplify a wide range of business scenarios exercising just about every feature we have put into the product. Some customers have attended for years, learning from their peers, and demoing how they are using the latest innovations.

My roles before SAP Screen Personas

Working with this group fits nicely with my background of working with customers and driving UX innovation topics within SAP during the past ten years of my total of 18 years with the company. I have had the opportunity to work with some of SAP’s largest customers on their UX journey from identifying needs, applying change management for the organization towards a user-centered approach, to implementing new technologies to meet their needs. On SAP internal UX projects I could demonstrate the exceptional value to exchange with customers early on for a true solution to their issues.

In one role, where I had the privilege to work with a selected group of SAP’s high-profile customers, I gained three main insights

• Customers see SAP striving for the user-centered approach and appreciate guidance and methodology support for identifying user needs.

• When customers put their users at center stage, real business issues can be solved.

• A requirement from SAP is a reliable UX strategy where we deliver on our promises. That includes tools to overcome gaps in the standard delivery or to support the transition to modern experiences also for custom-built legacy.

In my early years at SAP, my main task was to “translate” between the technology that we provided as software and the needs it should address in the real business world. I focused on explaining features and functions in terms that the business users would be able to relate to.

I’m excited to influence such a strategic product for improving the SAP user experience

We rolled out SAP Screen Personas in late 2012 to help customers personalize their SAP GUI screens. Now, with 15+ generations of improvements, including every part of the software being completely rewritten by now, the business value remains the same – make it fast and easy for customers (mostly drag-and-drop) to simplify their SAP GUI screens to:

• Improve business user productivity

• Increase SAP adoption by making screens easier to use

• Decrease training time for SAP users with intuitive screens

• Improve data quality

• Enhance user satisfaction

• Reduce the cost of app development

• Gain flexibility by rendering simplified SAP GUI screens on any connected device (desktops, tablets, phones)

Already in my previous role, I learned that a key part of many customers’ journeys to SAP S/4HANA includes SAP Screen Personas. They use it, sometimes extensively, to fill gaps in SAP Fiori coverage or to create acceptance of change by creating user-centered solutions before the actual transition to SAP S/4HANA takes place. We often see this in plant maintenance, contract management, master data management, and other areas where the screens are especially complex, used by too many different types of people, and often contain customizations.

There is still lots of opportunity ahead with SAP Screen Personas

You might think that with version 3, service pack 13, and over 2000 live customers, the hard work is already done. But, there are many more ECC and SAP S/4HANA customers that are not taking advantage of what SAP Screen Personas offers. All our customers deserve a great user experience. SAP Fiori apps provide that; for all the other SAP GUI screens, SAP Screen Personas is probably the answer.

What’s next for SAP Screen Personas

While I have my ideas for where to take the product (that’s one of the reasons they hired me 😊), I want to make sure we continue to address your needs. We often receive suggestions from customers for new features. We really appreciate your input and you often see these features in our release announcements.

What I’m thinking about as we create our 3 -5-year plan is how to make SAP Screen Personas more strategic to your organization. I would love to hear from you to learn:

• Your success stories, so we can know where we are doing well

• Where you are struggling, so we can make the necessary improvements

• Why you are not using SAP Screen Personas, so we can address those issues and make the product suitable for your environment

• Which direction are you heading and how does it affect the what SAP Screen Personas needs to do

Please share your ideas as comments, or, if the information is not public information, you can email me using the standard firstname dot lastname at sap.com format.

More about me

Even though work consumes most of our waking hours, there is more to people than their job title. Here are a few things about me so you can have a more complete picture of who I am:

• Born and raised in Germany

• Spent a year in the U.S., teaching German to college students

• Being close to a body of water, preferably on a sailboat, does magic to me

Looking forward to working with you and meeting the members of our SAP Screen Personas community, Katrin Polloczek.
6 Comments
PeterSpielvogel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Katrin,

Welcome to the team. Your knowledge, expertise, and passion for the customer will help us bring SAP Screen Personas to more organizations so they can enjoy the benefits of a better user experience.

Regards,
Peter
tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Welcome to the team, Katrin! Looking forward to continue helping our customers and developing the product to become even better than it is already! (yes, of course I'm biased 🙂 )
cristiano_santos
Participant
0 Kudos
I katrin.polloczek Congratulations! I agree that there are many more ECC and SAP S/4HANA customers that are not taking advantage of what SAP Screen Personas offers for SAP GUI screens. Do you have some references where Screen Personas have made a difference in the company? I would like to use these cases as examples for customers here in Brazil.
katrin_polloczek
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Muito obrigada, Cristiano.

The best possible way to get inspiration from customers is through the SAP Screen Personas Practitioner's Forum that takes place every third Wednesday of each month. Here, customers and the product team come together to share updates, insights into projects and learnings. Happy to hear from your SAP Screen Personas journey in the Practitioner's Forum as well. See here for the registration form.

For a general appetite, please see SAP Screen Personas Productivity Power Play videos that are available on YouTube here. There, you find also one playlist featuring customer statements.
perlundh
Participant
Hi and welcome Katrin,

First of all, I'm not a technical person. My background is business processes and configuration (SPRO). However, one of the great things of Personas is that is enables someone like me to make and adapt user interfaces to complement the solution and processes that I'm setting up in config to create one seamless experience (just as I had envisioned it in my mind).

• Your success stories, so we can know where we are doing well

• In my previous company we used Screen Personas to build custom apps/user interface for PP and WM in ECC to keep track of raw, semi and finished goods in realtime. Without Personas, we would not have been able to provide SAP to the frond end workers. At the work center, the interface had to be simplified to be used in realtime (doing GR and staging material from WM) and the Slipstream component also provided us with a way to deploy a mobile solution for WM with minimal effort. Pretty amazing!

• Where you are struggling, so we can make the necessary improvements

• As I said, not a technical person but the big one is to create responsive design. I realize the logical challenges (but not the technical) with "truly responsive design" since the same screen would have to be "manipulated" going from desktop to mobile. I also understand the "adaptive screen"-concept in Personas and have used it. Are there any plans to support "a bit more responsive" design in combination with the existing adaptive-concept? Meaning that we can "center" buttons and other screen elements at least within one adaptive design? For example, it would be nice that buttons are still centered if we choose to update our mobile Zebra-devices to a newer model that has increased screen size and resolution.

• Why you are not using SAP Screen Personas, so we can address those issues and make the product suitable for your environment.

• It seems that people in the SAP business (at least here in Sweden) are not aware of Screen Personas at all. Also, the role of SAP Screen Personas compared to "Fiori apps" can be confusing and looking quickly at it, Personas just seems like a temporary solution before you can access "real Fiori". Can you comment on the strategy going forward when it comes to Screen Personas vs Fiori Elements/Adaptations/Custom development.

• Which direction are you heading and how does it affect the what SAP Screen Personas needs to do

• Implementing EWM and using it's RF Framwork where Screen Personas recently was recommended to move the UI of the screens from the 1990's to the 2020's 😊. This will be interesting and I just posted a comment on the news-blogpost for EWM S4/HANA 2021 with some questions on Slipstream, Responsive design, Personas vs "UI5 Fiori apps" etc.

katrin_polloczek
Employee
Employee
Hej Per,

Thank you very much for your input. Happy to get more like these.

Apologies for getting back to you only now – however, two things happened during the past weeks that will also help to answer below:

• Re your comments on: Your success stories, so we can know where we are doing well

• Thank you for sharing

• Re your comments on: Where you are struggling, so we can make the necessary improvements

• It is always good understanding expectations of our customers. The constant move towards more paper-less and mobile use cases also on shop floors plus the hardware turn-overs at customers do result in needs towards the supporting software. Therefore I appreciate your practical suggestions and will take it into our internal discussions.

• Re your comments on: Why you are not using SAP Screen Personas, so we can address those issues and make the product suitable for your environment

• Direction for SAP Screen Personas: During the past month, we worked on our roadmap so we can reassure our customers that SAP Screen Personas is going strong in supporting customers on their journey to an easy-to-use and consistent role-based user experience. Please refer to the blogpost from Peter Spielvogel for more details: SAP Screen Personas roadmap update December 2021 – moving to the cloud | SAP Blogs. There you also notice that we do not stop supporting our customers in their known environment but also plan to support their cloud journey in this future so they can simplify classic applications in SAP S/4HANA Cloud.

• SAP Screen Personas vs SAP Fiori elements: SAP Screen Personas is one of several ways you can improve your SAP user experience. The first and most important step is to determine what problem you want to solve. Once you understand the business needs, you can determine whether to build a SAP Fiori app or simplify the screen with SAP Screen Personas. That depends on whether the business scenario already exists. If so and there is no SAP Fiori app available for it, then SAP Screen Personas would be a natural choice to simplify. If a new business scenario is to be introduced that is not covered by an existing transaction, then creating a new SAP Fiori app would be the choice.

• Reaching Swedish customers: If you have suggestions on how to spread the word around SAP Screen Personas in Sweden, happy to get your ideas. Besides that we keep the blogposts coming and always try to provide the context on where SAP Screen Personas fits into SAP’s UX Strategy.

• Re your comments on: Which direction are you heading and how does it affect the what SAP Screen Personas needs to do

• From our SAP Screen Personas perspective, all options would work. If you are on the latest SAP S/4HANA release, either on premise or cloud, MOBGUI was introduced and is an option to use SAP Screen Personas with EWM. Slipstream Engine supports any classic web-enabled SAP GUI transactions. However, Slipstream Engine is only part of the add-on delivery of SAP Screen Personas.

MVH
Katrin