cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally hidden all public folders

keithfisherdsc
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, hope someone can suggest a fix.

I've recently installed a new Crystal Server 2020 system and migrated all content in from the old one.

However when a user complained about not being able to see the public folders I went in to the CMC as the Administrator user and tried to add 'view objects' to the Everyone group on the advanced 'add/remove rights' page.

Unfortunately I accidentally ticked 'deny access' and then saved the change. Now the 'Folders' section of the CMC is missing entirely even to the Administrator user that I was using to make the change. Other admin users have looked and cannot see the folders icon or section.

Is there a way of bringing access back from within the CMC? I have tried re-promoting content from the old system in the Promotion Management Wizard with the 'top level rights' option ticked but this has not worked, it hasn't updated the Everyone group access.

I am waiting to hear from IT if they have a back up of the CMC database from before the change was made - hopefully restoring that will revert the change. However if there is no backup then I'm looking at having to uninstall/reinstall the system.

Does anyone know any quicker method than a reinstall - perhaps a new SIA on this server or a reset of the CMS database would be quicker as then all I need to do is the re-migration?

thanks in advance

Keith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

keithfisherdsc
Participant
0 Kudos

the system was recovered by restoring the CMS database from before the accidental security setting was made

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

DellSC
Active Contributor

I would try this:

1. In the CCM, back up the server configuration to a .biar file. This will preserve the information for the servers you've already configured.

2. Reset the CMS database. IIRC, I think this will also remove all of the server configs except maybe the CMS.

3. Restore the server configuration from Step 1, selectin the option to use a temporary CMS to do the restore.

4. Once the servers are restored, you can re-migrate from your old server.

-Dell

ayman_salem
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are familiar with BI JAVA SDK, you can set the View right for the public folder "ID=23".

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If Crystal Server works the same way that Business Objects does, you need to grant the Everyone group to be able to View the Top Level folder in Public Folders. You can not grant it on sub folders to maintain specific folder security. I've to reset this for every upgrade to new hardware/system that I have done.

Try this before Dell's suggestion.