Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative of HIERARCHY_ANCESTORS function in SAP HANA

ruchirsaxena
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wrote a piece of code in HANA and used the HIERARCHY_ANCESTORS function. However, it started giving me all sorts of OOM (Out of Memory) issues. I raised an OSS & provided all the details just to realize that it was an unidentified issue of the standard SAP function which will now be rectified in the next release.

Now I do not want to delve on the HIERARCHY_ANCESTORS function, as I already lost a month communicating through the OSS.

What I need is an alternative, which does not include any loops. Basically, I need the ancestors of all the leaf nodes (HIERARCHY_TREE_SIZE = 1) identified from the HIERARCHY function, without using loops. There can be over around 35k leaf nodes.

The data size is over 80k records, and I have tried looping over the same earlier, and it severely degrades the performance, timing out after a certain point. My need is to wrap it up in less than 30s, like the HIERARCHY_ANCESTORS functions would.

I can perhaps create a recursive function to fetch all the ancestors of 1 leaf ID. But how would I use it inside a SQL query, so that the same function can then fetch the ancestors of all the requisite IDs?

Any help is appreciated from HANA POV.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)