cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Management for dual system landscape within Focused Build - Retrofit

0 Kudos

Hello,

in the context of implementing change management for dual system landscape based on Focused Build and classic change management, I would like to ask you about the best practices, how is it best to organize.

I have already seen some recommendations in SAP slides, like here:

But still there is no overall guideline how to implement this in details.
Can anyone share your practical experience?

I would also be interested in the following questions:
- Why can't you actually use Fix Pace for a dual landscape together with Retrofit, as SAP claims? What is preventing this from the technical side? After all, behind it are the same transports.

- Just on the quoted picture it is suggested to use ToCs in Retrofit. How are they to be handled in the project landscape? How do I transport of a ToC from DEV to QAS? I guess I need a WP and a WI. And what about the PRD in that case? I can't transport the ToCs to PRD on cutover.

- In general, how do I use the retrofit in case of the project track based on Focused Build: do I always need to prepare a WP and WI with the whole approval process in advance or are there other ways?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Best Regards
Sergey Dorokhov

JSULLIVAN
Participant

Hello Sergey,

The approach you represent is also know as a "Dual Track" because of the Maintenance and Project tracks. They align with Solution Administration's Maintenance and Development Branches. However, I use an approach I labeled "The Linear Approach".

With this approach there is a single track that has 2 "jumping on stations" instead of 2 tracks. This approach is able to be used for both Focused Build and Standard ChaRM because that level of detail is based on the type of cycle and the branch assigned to the cycle.

The linear approach has the benefit of development being promoted through the whole landscape that will result in a synchronized landscape. Maintenance changes are retrofitted to the Development Branch to synchronized the landscape with those changes.

There are a lot of details to The Linear Approach that I'm not going to cover in this quick response. But, if you are interested I can share the details later. I will end with a list of functionality that is involved with the setup for investigation.

• CTS Transport Routes. There needs to be delivery route from the Development Pre-Production to the Maintenance B/F Development. There also needs to be a delivery route from the Maintenance B/F Development to the B/F Quality Assurance resulting in both consolidation & delivery routes between those 2 systems.
  • Cross-System Object Lock. This will make sure that conflicts between cycles are known and managed.
  • Status Dependent Import. I use this to keep Development out of Maintenance until the release is OK for moving to production.
  • Enhanced Retrofit. This is used to push Maintenance changes back to the Development Branch systems.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your reply. Your suggestion is quite interesting. But for the first time I don't see any advantage to Dual Track.
And the question remains whether I can fulfill the scenario with the Focused Build alone?