Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datasphere - shared view is not available in Database

Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I shared a view from SPACE A to SPACE B in datasphere. The view is accessible for the users in Space B application layer but not visible in database for the SPACE B database user. The view is already exposed for consumption.

Is there any way to make view available in database or it's just a limitation in SAP datasphere ?

Please share your thougths

Thanks,

Venky

SAP Datasphere  

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Venky999
Explorer

SAP confirmed in case that it's a limitation issue, The sharing view works on datasphere level, not at DB level, this is why the view is not replicated to another space.  I raised an improvement request #320530.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

XaviPolo
Active Contributor

I don't know if the "expose by default" option in the space configuration affects the views shared with this one, but if you have it activated and you don't see it, you can always create a new view in the SPACE B that reads from shared view, and then expose the new view.

Regards,

Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos

Well, actually i need the shared view visible in DB explorer as my actual requirement is to access this view from the shared space in Power BI ODBC.

its a security requirement that i need to share a view to another space (Business self-service) and let users acccess it from there..

XaviPolo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you have the A SPACE where original view is allocated. Shared with B SPACE where the users wan to consume that view.
To allow access from B SPACE SQL Schema, you need to expose the view in that space.

Is the shared view is not exposed automatically then you can create in B SPACE a new view reading from the shared one, and then activate the "expose" in that view to be published in SQL of the B SPACE. 

Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes the original view in space A is already exposed for consumption but Space B database user not able to access it in db explorer , and same in odbc power bi. That’s the issue, i do not want to create another view on top of original view in space B. Its a security design limitation i have..

XaviPolo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not an issue.

You defined the original view as exposed in SPACE A, ok, this is something related to SAPCE A over an object of SPACE A.

Then you shared it to SPACE B, and it's here in SPACE B where you must define the security of the object in SPACE B. if it is exposed or not to the SQL of SPACE B. Something defined in the SPACE A (as exposed attr) can't overwrite the security of the SPACE B.
So to define the usage in the SPACE B, create an object in SPACE B and manage it.

Regards,

Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos

I agree, that’s the ideal way to deal this case.

shared object purpose in datasphere is defeating i believe. The purpose of shared object is that other space can consume the object as it is without need to create it. If it is accessible at only shared space application layer but not available in shared space database schema, then i see some gap.

tmeyer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, 

when it is shared, you could use the "SPACE"."VIEW" to access the object on the HANA Database Explorer.

Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos
It’s not visible in database explorer under views folder
tmeyer
Explorer
0 Kudos
That is right but it should work either
Venky999
Explorer
0 Kudos
Unfortunately its throwing error that ‘couldn’t find table/view’