cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Information Platform Service vs BusinessObject Intelligence Platform

steven_foo
Participant
0 Kudos

Could some provide some information on the following:

Difference between Information Platform Service (IPS) vs BusinessObject Intelligence Platform (BIP)

Which one should be used as for Data Service 4.3?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

omkarsambare
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Steven,

To explain in simple words, BI is all reporting where you fetch data from whereas IPS is base for DS installation, so if you want to perform reporting choose for BI as it has number of reporting services for same.

IPS is base install for DS (Data Services) which is ETL tool, which is also ideal as it won't have any reporting services which are not required for Data Services.

steven_foo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the simple explanation. This help to understand. Because the https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_DATA_SERVICES/5372c7960111477e9dea8931e087870c/95ef430223da4743ba31ccb... > did not mentioned just ask customer to pick one.

Harish_Vatsa
Active Contributor

Dear stevenfoo30,

Please refer to the below SAP link for this information:

https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_DATA_SERVICES/5372c7960111477e9dea8931e087870c/95ef430223da4743ba31ccb...

Thanks,

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

SAP BusinessObjects Information platform services (IPS)

This is a base set of tools for managing an installation. It will manage logins, scheduling, auditing, security, and monitoring.

As mentioned in another post, this is generally used as the base for the Data Services processes.

SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform (BI)

This has the same code base as the IPS so you have all the same functionality you get with IPS. It comes with additional services for the processing and distribution of Crystal Reports and Web Intelligence Reports.

As also mentioned in another post, you will want to use this if you want to do reporting.

steven_foo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you. I was trying to look for official SAP document to provide their customer the comparison of the product for BI vs IPS however I could not find any. Thank you for the brief information on the comparison. Appreciated.

steven_foo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you but it does not tell the difference between them. It only tell to choose either one.

• SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform (BI)
  • SAP BusinessObjects Information platform services (IPS)

What I want to understand is the features for BI vs IPS side by side.

steven_foo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you but it does not tell the difference between them. It only tell to choose either one.

• SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform (BI)
  • SAP BusinessObjects Information platform services (IPS)

What I want to understand is the features for BI vs IPS side by side.