cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA XE Edition on Docker with Ubuntu Host - Installation Problems

TomHoepping
Participant

Hi SAP Community

I'm trying to install Hana XE on Apple Silicon / M1 Mac. After several unsuccessful attempts I ended up with the following approach/setup:

• Mac OS with UTM
  • Ubuntu Server (20.04.4) VM on UTM in Emulation Mode (Should behave like x86 Architecture)
  • Docker with following Image SAP HANA Express Edition

During initial installation/run of the image, I always get the following error, which I can't explain. I've have the feeling, that this error has more to do with the Ubuntu installation.

What can I do, try to further investigate this error? Log files in xe mount folder say basically the same, like terminal output.

/hana/hooks/pre_start/310_init_ssfs: line 16:   592 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) hdbnsutil -createSecureStore<br>

I've tried several things:

• resizing the vm's memory up to 15GB
  • resizing vm harddisk
  • fresh ubuntu installation, run docker with/wo root mode

Also what is not really clear to me from different tutorials/guides -> does the docker image need a specific user inside the host environment? Saw some questions/comments on sap community and GitHub which points in this direction.

Thx & Bests Tom

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have never install with docker.

Witch doc did you follow ? did you find a list of library/soft you need on your Linux system ?

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/hxe-ua-install-using-docker.html (they do a "sudo -" )

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi frdric.girod

Thera basically to blog posts which have guided me.

Hana XE from Docker Hub and Installing Personal Developer Edition on MAC M1 by pawelwiejkut which gave me basically the idea for the general setup.

I saw your tutorial already, there is one line which irritates me a bit.

<code>chown <hxeadm userID or name>:<sapsys groupID or name> /data/<directory_name>

Does this mean, there is a specific user needed on host environment?

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but inside the docker

[MacOS] --> [Ubuntu] --> [docker] <-- here you should have group & user

but if you cannot run the docker, you should not be able to login in it

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

frdric.girod Ok, perfekt. So need to create a specific user on host environment. Still strange. Any ideas what can I try or investigate?

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it looks like a ssl library issu.

Why didn't you try to run an SLE instead of an Ubuntu ?

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

Probably your right. Something is missing/wrong but I don't know how to investigate deeper.

Btw. I get the same error on sles.

0 Kudos

I tried installing Ubuntu using UTM (App Store) I don think the App Store and open source version has any differences. After successful installing Ubuntu I am getting the following warning and error while installing Hana Express Edition.

Warning:

HANA version: 2.00.054.00.1611906357

WARNING: Unsupported Linux kernel version 5.4. Supported are 3.12 and 4.4+.

Error:

/hana/hooks/pre_start/310_init_ssfs: line 16: 505 Illegal instruction (core dumped) hdbnsutil -createSecureStore

I was trying with Ubuntu 20.x X X86. Not sure if the warning is the main issue behind the error. Could it be due to the difference in kernel versions?

TomHoepping
Participant

siddhartha.bhattacharjee Please check the right answer to this question. I've had exactly the same problem, seems to be also the processor flags.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TomHoepping
Participant

With some time, I found the mistake by myself (hint was that the same error occurred on freshly installed sles micro edition).

Basically there where some mistakes in the utm vm configuration about the processor flags.

Attached is the right combination.

biswajit1989
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Are you able to install Hana locally in M1 mac? I have also tried installing hana docker in ubuntu VM but got similar error as yours. So you installed hana docker in ubuntu VM or in SLE ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Biswajit

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi biswajit1989

Yes, finally it worked with UTM/Ubuntu Server. Solution for me was, so set the processor flags in the way supposed by pawelwiejkut How to install ABAP 1909 on Mac M1 (Apple Silicon). Also choose an intel processor for simulation.

Before I had the same error on ubuntu as well as on sles.

Bests Tom

biswajit1989
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thank you very much tom.hpping3 . I am able to setup hana docker in M1 Mac.

biswajit1989
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

tom.hpping3

Now I am facing another issue. Mac is not able to connect to ubuntu server with VPN enabled .Hence not able to work in hana.

Are you using VPN in Mac? Have you came across such issue?. I tried changing network setup in UTM but it's not working.

Thanks.

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi biswajit1989

Strange. I'm using a virtual network card in my utm with port forward. This works pretty good.

But during my research, I came across some blog post from other sap employees which had the same problem with their vpn. Did you tried to deactivate vpn?

biswajit1989
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks tom.hpping3 for the information. I will try port forwarding option.

I am using Bridge network mode in UTM. I am able to connect to ubuntu with VPN enable by adding the ip of ubuntu server to ip tables of Mac.

command : sudo route add -host ubuntuserveripaddress gatewayipaddress

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member798
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

tomhoep I get the below error:

I have a 16 GB M1 mac when I use x86_64 archicture it gives me the b elow error . But If I use ARM64 archicture instead I get it working perfectly.Please let me know how to fix it.

ERROR: ->qemu-x86_64-softmmu: combined size of system firmware exceeds 8388608 bytes
hanaexpress edition docker image is not getting started in ARM64. Please let me know how to fix this issue,container gets exitted when I start it the log says 

ERROR while starting docker:

exec format error

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

TomHoepping
Participant
0 Kudos

amitkr936 Hi Amit

I'm a bit confused. So with x86 it is not working but with ARM64?
Anyway, my approach was to use utm and emulate an x86 architecture with processor-flags like in above screenshot. Inside utm I had an ubuntu linux running with docker. What is your general setup? Bests Tom

former_member798
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

tom.hpping3

x86 architecture is giving me Error:

Failed unmounting /cdrom

I have applied all the flags and did all the configurations in my System