cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How-to use CDS 7 and Node.js 18 required by CAP in BAS ?

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear BAS wizards,

I added cds 7 as dependency and cds-dk 7 as devdependency, but when I try to issue cds commands in a brand new BAS CAP workspace, I'm getting this error:

This application uses @sap/cds version >= 7, which is not compatible with the installed @sap/cds-dk version 6. Either update @sap/cds-dk to version 7 or downgrade @sap/cds to version 6 instead.

at build (/extbin/globals/pnpm/5/.pnpm/registry.npmjs.org+@sap+cds-dk@6.8.2/node_modules/@sap/cds-dk/bin/build/all.js:75:30)

This affects the built-in features as well

cds -v dumps the following

@sap/cds: 7.0.3
@sap/cds-compiler: 3.9.4
@sap/cds-dk: 6.8.2
@sap/cds-foss: 4.0.2
@sap/cds-mtx: -- missing --
@sap/cds-mtxs: 1.8.4
@sap/eslint-plugin-cds: 2.6.3
@sap/hana-client: 2.17.21
@sap/hdi-deploy: 4.7.1
@sap/xsenv: 3.4.0
MonitoringCockpitBS: 0.0.1
Node.js: v16.19.0
home: /extbin/globals/pnpm/5/.pnpm/registry.npmjs.org+@sap+cds@6.8.4/node_modules/@sap/cds

It seems 6.8.4 is used in BAS as external binary. Can I switch the version like like setting home to 7.0.2, which is also available in the

/extbin/globals/pnpm/5/.pnpm/

folder ?

With the June update CAP also recommends to use Node.js 18 because 16 is out of minatenance in 1 month. How can we use Node.js 18 in brand new BAS dev spaces, to follow SAP recommendadtions?
There are posts to do update by ourself or against to do it...

package-lock.json were deleted node modules wiped and completely renstalled in the projects.
Some references also checked about side-effects of release changes previously.
https://answers.sap.com/questions/13674288/cds-6-btp-cf-deployment.html

But none of them helped.
Workaround which makes cds serve working, but not cds build:
Moving cds-dk from devdependencies to dependencies in package.json helped, combined with npm rebuild command. But not sure we need cds-dk in production...

Also noticed after tegh above workaround that during cds serve the following that multiple cds versions detected:

As recommended in CAP June update I've added the new separate packages as dependency:

"@sap/cds": "^7",

"@sap/cds-common-content": "^1.2.0",

"@sap/cds-fiori": "^1.0.0",

"@sap/cds-hana": "^2.0.0",

"@sap/cds-foss": "^3.1",

Thank You

Attila

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

licam_oved
Advisor
Advisor

Hello,

You can change the globally installed version by executing npm install -g @sap/cds-dk@<required version>

Regarding Node 18, currently there's no way to change the Node version used in BAS.

The team is working on upgrading to Node 18.

BR,
Licam

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You licam.oved,
now I have the right versions, project is back online 🙂

I should have done something wrong before. I've tried to install it previously, but @sap/cds-dk entries showed me still 6.84.

Let's wait patiently for Node.js 18 :).

Thanks again

Best regards
Attila

licam_oved
Advisor
Advisor

Thanks for the update!

Sometimes you need to open a new Terminal after new version installation because the current Terminal doesn't catch it (same can happen on local PC).

chgeo
Advisor
Advisor

Note that CDS 7 does not require Node.js 18, but still runs with Node.js 16.

Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You!
I've just wanted to follow SAP recommendation 🙂

BR,Attila

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

SugguSandeep
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Attila
Active Participant
0 Kudos

How this supposed to be change the Node.js runtime delivered with BAS Development Space Containers ? This is a YeoMan generator template.