cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installmaster script in 1-off of SAP ASE.

DilipVoora
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

With respect to "installmaster" script we would like to understand the actual need of getting it in 1-off. 

1. Is there any necessity to run "installmaster" after applying 1-off/N-off that is received for a SP with PL? Our understanding is that it isn't required until and unless the bug/error for which it is provided has relation with system tables and procedures. 

2. My fellow DBAs are telling that it is mandatory to run installmaster eventhough the 1-off/N-off doesn't the script have relationship with the system tables and procedures from the last 2-3 years. Is this correct?

3. Is SAP Engineering for ASE started providing installmaster script in 1-off/N-off (for a customer) though the bug fix/error for which the ebf is provided has no relationship with system tables and procedures?

Kindly confirm and advise as we applied 1-off for couple of our customers.

Regards,
Dilip Voora

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

If an installmaster script is provided along with the ONE-OFF dataserver executable in the ONE OFF package you received from SAP Support , then it must be executed. 

If no installmater script is provided aloing with the ONE-OFF then it should be ok to continue w/o having executed the installmaster from the original PL again .  It won't hurt though. 

I vaguely recall some weird memory corruption issues that showed up after an ASE upgrade (i.e. new SP resp new PL) where installmaster was NOT executed. These memory corruption issues went away after execution of installmaster. But as I said that was not for ONE-OFF installation but for a real SP upgrade.

Hope that clarifies  

DilipVoora
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tilman,

Your reply confirmed our understanding and we cascade this to our fellow DBA which have different understanding on installmaster eexecution not recieved for 1-off/N-off. Thank you once again.

Regards,
Dilip Voora

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sladebe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Re: Is there any necessity to run "installmaster" after applying 1-off/N-off that is received for a SP with PL

If you run the setup.bin installer, and specify a target directory that already has an existing installation, it will ask if you want to do an upgrade of the existing installation.  If you say yes, it will install the new executables and library files, boot the ASE server, and then run installmaster (and installsecurity, etc) for you.   It's prompts for the sa password to do this.  (Note, it skips installdbccdb and installdbccalt)

This is easy enough that it's safer to go through the upgrade process, even if it isn't actually required (just because it's hard to get an answer as to whether installmaster is required after upgrading executables/library files)