Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation of variable exp based on sales in SAC Planning

GavinMonteiro3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a requirement in SAC Planning, that based on sales numbers, COGS% /marketing %,staff cost% would be entered by the user, based on which Cogs, marketing and staff cost planning should take place

For e.g.

Year 2022 which is based on actuals

Sales 1000

Cogs 400

Marketing expense 150

Year 2023

Sales is changed to 2000

Here Cogs should recalculate to 150% which would be 600 (150% would be mentioned by user and would be dynamic).

Marketing expenses should change to 300% that is 450. (300% would be mentioned by user and would be dynamic).

Note - There are expenses mapped on the FSV grouping like warehouse rent should not change in ratio to sales.

Hence, what's the best way to calculate cogs/marketing cost on basis of sales?

Regards,.

Gavin.

View Entire Topic
N1kh1l
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

gavin2160

gavin2160It can be done both in stories as well as Data Action but as its planning model, you should for for Data Action Advanced Formula to calculate all variable items based on a driver percentage of Sales. Data Action will give you more control on what items to calculated and also has better overall performance.

Br.

Nikhil

GavinMonteiro3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for your response.

I went through the below options in the new model, so that I only change the variable expenses that are relevant to sales.

https://blogs.sap.com/2022/05/23/new-model-configuration-options/

My only question to use data actions, the new model should be created with account dimension or not ?

Since keeping the account as generic dimension, is working for warehousing rent. Since any change made on sales is not proportionately modified upto net profit, i.e, system let's other account heads in the P&L remain untouched. This works for warehouse rent by not modifying any number, but doesn't work for cogs, since it doesn't calculate proportionate change of sales to expenses.

On the other hand, if I define it as account dimension, COGS is auto adjusted based on changes made in sales numbers, but that is also changing numbers in warehouse rent automatically, which is not required.

Hence, the requirement is for certain GL accounts to behave like an account dimension (cogs/marketing cost, i.e. automatically adjust expenses based on change in sales %) and for certain expenses to behave like a generic dimension (warehouse rent, i.e, expenses shouldn't change, irrespective of changes made to sales).

Regards.

Gavin.