cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1904: Installing SP27 Fails to Register craxddrt.dll

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right-clicked and elected to run CRforVS13SP27_0-10010309.EXE as an Administrator.
Made sure no other Crystal Reports process was running in the background.

Side note: Received a message about needing to close a FlexNet process but, when checked, that process was no longer running. So that process is probably transitory.
Upon clicking Retry, the installation process continued and later generated the following failure message:

A search shows only a few similar failures in the past several years, but no clear/relevant answers. For example, at some point in the past, using SP14 instead of an older SP fixed that problem.
Any known reasons/solutions for SP27?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which OS are you trying to install on?

0 Kudos

I am seeing the same issue on Windows 11, first public build 22000.194.

Tried running install as Administrator, same issue. Lucky for me, I can click 'Ignore' (Thank you, SAP, for that option!) and the installed package still works for my usage scenario.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

It's a known limitation, you must first uninstall older version and then install the update. No point in setting it aside, others have run into this and they were told the same thing.

Change your installer to check for existing installs and uninstall first, then install.

All there is to it.

Also, due to the VC 2015 dependency update you also need to reboot before installing the update.

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Don

I am getting the error as above. You are suggesting to remove older version... I am using older version in VS2019. If I remove it, what will happen then ? Due to some problems on VS2022 I need to keep VS2019 available.

Do I risk it and remove older version ? hope I will not stuck with any VS be able to use CR.

Regards John Hola

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Hi Ido,

Both, flexnet and failed to upgrade due to the same error because a previous version was not uninstalled first. It’s all noted in the WIKI:
https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports%2C+Developer+for+Visual+Studio+Downloads

NOTE: The info for SP 21 is required for ANY Patch SP 21

New In SP21 Release

Integration with Visual Studio 2017
.NET Framework 4.7
FireFox ESR 52
Addressed 10+ customer Incidents.

As of SP 26 we no longer support .Net Framework 3.5 and recommend upgrading to 4.5.2 or above

Below items should be highlight for SP21:

1. FlexNet and In-Place Upgrade does not work: Once user receive the update notification from FlexNet server and finish SP21 upgrade, the product will NOT work. User MUST repair CR4VS and CRRuntime64 in Control Panel\Programs\. That’s a by design change to installer.

a. Please notice that we are still facing problems on configuring FlexNet upgrade server, so currently user will NOT receive SP21 notification

2. Microsoft Windows Update KB2999226 is a prerequisite for SP21+

a. This is same as BI 4.2 SP4 and BI 4.1 SP10. Please refer to SAP Note 2451830.

3. For VS2017 integration, user must use “run as Administrator” by right-clicking setup.exe, even if you are already log on by using Administrator account

4. As most of CR/RAS .NET Assemblies are now re-versioned from 13.0.2000.0 to 13.0.3500.0 and for SP 26 are now 13.0.4000.0, user MUST remove all old CR assemblies from Reference list and add the new version of CR assemblies, then rebuild the application.
….

It’s quite simple, just uininstall first and then install SP 27…

But before you do that there have been a few bugs reported, A Viewer Load event is not triggering, there may be other events as well, so if you use Events you may want to wait for SP 28 in July some time…
All of them are due to Framework updates, Soda mentioned they had a lot of issues updating CR for VS to 4.0 framework due to changes MS did.

No change will be done for the upgrade issue you reported.

Thanks again
Don

PS - will update the install notes to clarify details...

Hi Ido,

Soda thinks it's because due to the Flexnet server being down, has been since SP 21 as noted in the download WIKI, it requires you to uninstall first and then install any update.

1. FlexNet and In-Place Upgrade does not work: Once user receive the update notification from FlexNet server and finish SP21 upgrade, the product will NOT work. User MUST repair CR4VS and CRRuntime64 in Control Panel\Programs\. That’s a by design change to installer.

Is that the order you did it or did you just install SP 27 on top of SP 24?

Thanks again

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That would explain the first error message (about needing to close FlexNet process).
But it doesn't explain the second error message (registration failure for the dll).
It also worries me that similar issue might confront end users.

It may seem reasonable to tell them to first uninstall but they don't read/follow instructions.

Let's set this aside and see if other folks run into the same issue.

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

No one else has reported the issue maybe, so something in that environment is different.

Unless you can provide info nothing I can send to R&D to look for.

Did you uninstall ST 24 first? Or let the installer try to replace it.

There is a known update to crdb_ado.net, it was reversioned to 13 and can cause problems.

A repair install is required.

SP 27 uses 4.0 Framework. Is this the error you saw:

https://answers.sap.com/questions/13025267/c-console-application.html

Can you go to the install folder and zip up the log file and send it to me?

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging

Thanks

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Don. It's a Windows 10 machine with SP24 installed.

Some prerequisite/dependency for craxddrt.dll might have changed between SP24 and SP27.

At this point, I'm back to SP24 which works fine. Will wait for SP28 unless DEV can explain the change in behavior.

0 Kudos

1904 is a Microsoft MSIExec error code, typically means there is a dependency missing.

DependencyWaker may tell you what is missing.

craxddrt.dll is COM, it needs to be registered. It's CR's Embedded Report Designer built into Visual Studio.

If you register it manually what happens? You will need to find a PC where the installer does work to get the dll.

Microsoft also has fixes for the regsrv32, search MS's site for updates for it also.

It could also be due to missing framework, if you don't have 2.0 framework installed that may fix it.

Don