cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle the dynamic parallel workflow task in SAP BPA

rayyavu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Team, I am looking to initiate a dynamic set of parallel approval tasks within the SAP build process automation, a process similar to the one described in this blog post: https://blogs.sap.com/2021/08/28/execute-workflow-tasks-in-parallel-using-sap-workflow-management/ In the event that at least one or two managers approve the request, my objective is to halt the remaining approval tasks and proceed to the next step in the SAP build process automation.

I'm attempting to accomplish this by incorporating a subprocess into the automation process, using a global custom variable(to capture the approver count) in the main process as described in the guide found at https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/spa-add-sub-process-automation.html. Is there an alternative approach to address this without relying on the automation module? I've explored the option of using branches, but I've encountered a limitation where I cannot configure a dynamic number of branches, and it appears that the system restricts us to creating a maximum of 10 branches. Additionally, I'm interested in implementing an escalation mechanism for tasks that go past their due date.

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Just to get it straight, you want to:

• Retrieve a list of cost centers, cost center approvers, and perhaps other information, like amount.
  • Send an approval form to each cost center approver.
  • Once 1, or 2 or some number of approvals are received, you want to continue the process as if approved.

And you want to do it without an automation.

rayyavu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Yes. But in this scenario we've dynamic number of approvers.

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

dynamic number of approves because there is a dynamic number of cost centers, right?

rayyavu
Explorer
0 Kudos

We can take it in that way. In my use case the approver numbers are getting changed based on different criteria. There is no fixed number of approvers, so can't create a exact number of branches with approval form.

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I'm not a super expert but I've thought about it and could not find a way. That's why I think the solution in the tutorial was with an automation -- which I agree is weird. I did the tutorial and didn't realize I had to turn unattended mode on because I didn't think anything was being done on my desktop 😺

rayyavu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes. we're thinking to use action instead automation module (as it having an separate license inside the SBPA) and trigger the another process from CAP / Integration suite.

And another Idea would be dev. the existing workflow (using pro code in BAS) and add that as a sub process to handle these scenarios.

View Entire Topic
Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

For the managing tasks, including past due, since this technique here: https://blogs.sap.com/2023/08/24/notifying-your-user-task-recipients-with-a-sbpa-automation/

rcaziraghi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello!

Interesting topic! But I was wondering, what about dynamic parallelization? In the case we have to send an approval request to 3 approvers (at the same time, so we don't have to wait for the first one approve to move to the next), how could we manage this?

Thank you!
Rafael