cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record a web dropdown in SAP recorder

MelissaAr
Explorer

Hi I am trying to make a website automation that selects from multiple dropdowns. I cannot pick any options from any of the dropdowns. I have successfully selected from dropdowns before in applications but not on a website. Even when I use Capture on Hover, the automation stops when the dropdown shows. It continues if I hover over the option during execution but I want a full automation, not assisted.

The below screen is what the automation looks like when it gets stuck. As capture on hover is not working as a solution, I would greatly appreciate another solution suggestion. Thank you.

rohit_singhal
Active Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Based on your question, is the understanding correct that when you physically hover on the option, your automation is able to select the appropriate dropdown value? If so, your issue is not with the capture, rather the opening of dropdown.

However, if this is not the case, could you please clarify your statement where it says "It continues if I hover over the option during execution"

Best Regards,

Rohit

MelissaAr
Explorer
0 Kudos

rohit.singhal Thank you for responding. I believe your understanding is correct. When I run the automation after recording, the automation fills in all the other fields that I need except for the drop down. It stops as you can see in the original post. If I physically move my mouse over the correct dropdown value during the automation, the automation continues as normal but then stops at the next dropdown value. I'm unsure what you mean by "your issue is not with the capture, rather the opening of dropdown". As you can see in my above screenshot, it is able to open the dropdown. If you could please elaborate, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Melissa

View Entire Topic
rohit_singhal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

What I think might be the issue is how the specific dropdown value is being selected and input in the dropdown.

To test this, I woud ask you to open the application tester while you have manually opened up the page.

Execute the dropdown select option that you are performing.

Then try to execute the next element command.

I believe based on how you have listed the issue, a click action might not work, and the webpage might require you to use another event, for which you can use trigger event activity.

Please let me know the results of testing via debugger (application tester), so that I may further help out.

Best Regards,

Rohit

MelissaAr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for elaborating. During the testing, the application stops after the clicking the dropdown action. I am given an error saying that it could not find the dropdown value that I want. Since you have said it may be a dropdown issue, I went into the application and manually declared the dropdown and the elements. This made the automation go smoothly instead of pausing but now it selects the wrong option. I also believe that the click action is not sufficient for what I need. Do you think you could please further explain the trigger event activity? Thank you again.