Did you mean: 

IDM 8.0: Hide entrytype in "Show" dropdown list in UI for some users

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello again,

this time I need your help not with a bug, but with an idea! 🙂

System:

IDM 8.0 SP 6 on MSSQL (with oldschool UI, not UI5)

What I like to do:

In my eternal quest to hide IDM content from people that don't need to see it (because they don't have any permissions to interact with it anyway), I have hidden privileges and business roles left and right.

So now my gaze has found the "Show" dropdown list, which grew a lot in the past years, because we have quite a number of custom entrytypes.

I'd like to hide some of those entrytypes from most of the users and just show them to some. We've already found that entrytypes are their own breed of IDM content (when tryping to change the MSKEYVALUE and such), so do any of you have ever tried limiting the visibiliy of the entrytypes themselves?

I'm not talking about objects of a certain kind of entrytype, but the entrytypes in the "Show" list.

I know I can hide them completely by not checking the "Searchable Entry Type" box in their options, but that's not what I'm after. They need to be visible in the UI, just not for everyone.

Has anyone any ideas, if possible without the need to stomp around directly in the database?

Regards,

Steffi.

View Entire Topic
alexanderbrietz
Active Contributor

Hi Steffi,

I think this is not possible with standard UI. As you already stated you can show or hide entrytypes. That's about it. You cannot show them based on specific permissions.

Using REST you may be able to implement your requirements using custom UIs.

Regards,

Alex

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor

I feared as much, but we are still a long way from custom UIs in IDM. 😕

Regards,

Steffi.

alexanderbrietz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

I know that it may look like a big step but it does not necessarily be all or nothing.

Maybe it would help your case to introduce dedicated dialogs only and have the rest on standard. Speaking from a technical point of view you can mix the UIs. For usability it's a different thing, but maybe a business case worth looking at.

Regards,

Alex

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, that's kind of the plan for the implementation. But I need the time to learn the new skillset for this. And there are a lot of other things I want to add first to our IDM.

At the moment my users are used to the UI. I'll create custom UIs, when I start creating workflows where I need some kind of dynamic UI. So maybe next year, we'll see. 🙂

Regards,

Steffi.