cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

join two independent nodes into a cluster

former_member272418
Participant

Hi guys

is there a "SAP approved" way to join two independent SAP BI systems (same SAP BI version, support package, patch level, installed on the same operating system, each with its own cms database) into a single cluster ?

The only way I know is to install a new node, choosing the "expand" installation and joining it to an already existing and working node.

However, for an activity that I have to do, it would be useful to have the two nodes ready and patched and join them at a later time.

Did you know SAP has released a procedure to do this?

Very interesting. I would like to know this too because I will have to do the same activity

Sriram2009
Active Contributor

Hi Andrea.

Do you mean that two different SAP SIDs join it in a single Cluster server(two-node cluster)? or two different SAP SIDs in one single SID with a single cluster server?

Regards

Sriram

former_member272418
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siram

Thank you for your answer.

I try to answer your question by explaining in detail what I want to do.

I am starting from a situation where I have two different SAP Business Objects systems installed on different hosts (let's say hostnames are "first" and "second"). They are installed at exactly the same version, support package and patch level.

Each of them has its own cms database.

The SIAs have the same host name, therefore "first" and "second".

Consequently, their default cluster names are "@first" and "@second" as well.

At this point, "first" and "second" have no connection with each other.

What I want to do is, let "second" join the "@first" cluster using, therefore, the same cms database as "first" and the same file system repository as "first".

I don't care about losing the "second" content (in fact it will be a new system with no content other than the default ones).

I hope I have clarified the situation now.

View Entire Topic
denis_konovalov
Active Contributor

0. Stop existing SIA on second node. Disable it from auto startup.

1. Create new SIA on second node pointing it to CMS DB of the first node. That clusters it to the first node.
2. In CMC point FRS of the second node to first node locations.
3. Done.

p.s.
Admin guide explains concepts behind this steps.

former_member272418
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your suggestion Denis.

I'm going to test it during the week-end !

I'll let you know !

former_member272418
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Denis

it seems this procedure is ok!

I'll do other tests but, at the moment, it seems to me that everything is working as expected.

Thank you again Denis !