cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing functionality in SAP ALM compared with SolMan

divanova1005
Explorer

Hello,

Do you know why so much functionality is missing in SAP ALM compared with SAP Solution Manager and how SAP will provide the services to the customers useing SolMan but missing in CALM?

Examples: Cross Database Comparison, UXMon GUI scripts, BW Jobs monitoring, System Monitoring of on-premise systems, DB and hosts

Thank you in advance to all who can provide clarity and information!!

View Entire Topic
lschenck
Participant

There are several blogs on this subject, a good one is this one https://blogs.sap.com/2023/03/06/advantages-of-sap-cloud-alm-vs-sap-solution-manager/

Have a look!

lschenck
Participant
divanova1005
Explorer

Thank you for the information provided, Lorie!

Both blogs are beneficial but I think that they are written before the announcement of SolMan's retirement.

Even the conclusions are clear:

• SAP Cloud ALM and SAP Solution Manager are two different products for Application Lifecycle Management by SAP, positioned for different customers and do not involve any license fee
  • SAP Cloud ALM is not meant to replace SAP Solution Manager. SAP Solution Manager will be continuously enhanced based on customer feedback via customer connection
  • The migration of data/templates/monitoring objects is not possible between these two ALM products. Both these products have a totally different architecture.
  • It is recommended that on-premise customers use SAP Solution Manager and Cloud customers will benefit more from SAP Cloud ALM

My question was how is it planned to replace SolMan with ALM for on-premise customers, since basic functionalities are missing, information is missing. How is this suddenly SAP decided to do that when ALM has nothing to do with SolMan..

jan_kotrc
Explorer

I think this is the main question for all customers who are using SAP Solution Manager as a primary tool to cover ALM processes. Just to clarify, Solution Manager has a lot to do with ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) as its a platform to cover ALM processes. To this day, there is just a little clarification on how SAP Cloud ALM could "replace" Solution Manager.

1. SAP Cloud ALM is not to replace SAP Solution Manager, but SAP Solution Manager support will end at 2027. Customers using SAP SOLMAN as a primary platform to cover ALM processes will then have to communicate SAP support terms ("Customer connection") to operate after 2027, because SAP Cloud ALM is nowhere close to SOLMAN capabilities (because its a different tool for different market - cloud market).

1.1 The customer has to decide which strategy is the most optimal for their situation. Continue using SOLMAN after 2027 (pay for customer specific support), or consider options using or moving to SAP Cloud ALM.

2. So how different are the tools SAP SOLMAN vs SAP CALM?

For example, there is an overview for Health Monitoring (SAP Cloud ALM), which could be side-by-side positioned to System Monitoring (SAP SOLMAN):

https://support.sap.com/en/alm/sap-cloud-alm/operations/expert-portal/health-monitoring/health-mon-c...

As you can see in products tab, Health Monitoring is more HANA oriented, so i think there is no possibility to use SAP Cloud ALM Health Monitoring tool to monitor SAP ERPs which are not S/4HANA yet.

From my point of view as i'm trying to find answers for the same questions:

SAP Solution Manager System Monitoring = Can monitor HANA, S/4HANA, Oracle

SAP Cloud ALM = Can monitor HANA, S/4HANA, but cannot monitor Oracle (less options for monitoring onpremise systems)

Also, the list of available metrics in Health Monitoring seems not to be as wide as in SOLMAN. Missing availability metrics.

3. Some tools are not to be available for SAP Cloud ALM, for example EWA Reports...