cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to use Datasphere's HANA database?

mcalucin
Participant
0 Kudos

In BW, we create calculation views in the BW HANA database and consume them in compositeproviders and datasources. Building and troubleshooting data models as calculation views is a lot easier doing the same type of modeling in compositeproviders.

In migrating from BW to Datasphere, is there still a need to do development with Datasphere's HANA database? What can't be done in the Datasphere development environment that can be done in the Datasphere HANA database.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mel Calucin

View Entire Topic
XaviPolo
Active Contributor

Well, not all HANA DB options are available in Datasphere.

For example the SQL functions that you can use in DSP views are not all the ones in HANA. I need to use the hierarchy management or predictive analysis functions and I have to do it in HANA because it is not supported in DSP.

But apart from specific cases, in theory you should be able to model most things using graphical views or SQL without needing to access HANA DB.

Regards,

mcalucin
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Xavier,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the hierarchy management being done in HANA DB. Is there a tool in HANA DB that is similar tcode RSH1 in BW to manage hierarchies? I know something like RSH1 doesn't exist in Datasphere.

Thanks!

Regards,

Mel Calucin

XaviPolo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The hierarchy functions are used to query and even create hierarchies, or rather tables that have a hierarchical structure of type parent/child or by levels.

For example, if you have a table with a hierarchy of accounts (parent/child) , you can make a query to get all the elements that hang from a specific node. If you want to do this query with raw SQL you need to do a lot of joins to keep relations between parant and childs. In this case the hierarchy functions can help you a lot.

But there is no app to mainatain the hierarchy, they are just SQL functions, so it is not easy as BW.

Regards,