cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No authorization for data preview in ADT 2023-06

Astashonok
Participant

I am trying to view the standard shipped CDS view demo_cds_curr_conv shthat comes with the latest ABAP BTP Trial environment and get this error

this happens when I right click the CDS definition in the CDS editor. What is weird is there are two Data preview options, the error is thrown on both

What is the difference between them and how to get rid of this error?

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nicely asked.

For better Web referencing, the exact messages (based on screenshot) are "cannot execute data preview" and "no authorization to view data".

Also here: S/4 HANA public Cloud: Authorization issue in data preview of custom CDS view | SAP Community

and here: SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition, ABAP Environment Case 3: Custom CDS View Using ADT | SAP Blogs

View Entire Topic

Hi Pavlo,

this particular view is not C1-released for language version 5, so usage / data preview is not possible.

W.r.t the difference between the two options:

1. Simply opens the data preview and lets you enter parameters
  2. Allows further configuration like selected columns and pre-defined filters

Best Regards,

Thomas

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

And how should I guess that it is C1? I didn't find any properties in ADT that says that. Can you show me a way?

OK, if it is C1 then where in documentation I can read about this preview limitation? There is no single mention about it in the docu

https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_S4HANA_ON-PREMISE/8308e6d301d54584a33cd04a9861bc52/b6fe6846e9c7488e8c7...

Also, the latest help on the above link is 2022, whilst current BTP ABAP platform is of 2023-08 version

so where should I learn about actual BTP platofrm and its limitations?

holm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

its obvious that the data preview obeys the contracts.

But it would really be helpful to inspect even not released cds or db tables via data preview.

Can you explain why this restriction was set? Since we can also read and debug non released code...

Greetings,
Holm

dezmond06:

The C1-contract is described here: https://help.sap.com/docs/btp/sap-abap-development-user-guide/use-system-internally-c1 (Data Preview being part of the ABAP Development Tools)

Whether a specific object is C1-release can indeed by found in ADT in Properties > API State:

DEMO_CDS_CURR_CONV has no contract set and is therefore not released in BTP ABAP.

And yes, BTP ABAP is updated more often and is therefore currently on 2308, whereas S/4HANA 2023 is not yet released, so the documentation is still on 2022.

holm.kettner: The objects themselves are not released / not usable, so the data in general is considered not released. This demo table in particular will anyways be empty in BTP ABAP systems. If you are missing any particular CDS view, where you think it makes sense to view / use the data, you can request it's release via the Customer Influence program.

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

You gave us the screenshot of DB table DEMO_CDS_CURR_CONV properties, and I was speaking about the CDS view DEMO_CDS_CURR_CONV. on the CDS view properties there is no such tab as API state. How should we guess?

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

again, you (your screenshot) state that this object has no contract set, and at the same time you are referring to C1-contract help section, which is ambigous. I suppose C1 vs no set are two differrent API states, which is not obvious from your words. In the help you provided I don't see any pages about not set objects, only C0/C1/C2/C3/C4. Are non-released objects and no contract assigned the same concepts?

0 Kudos

Hi Pavlo,

actually I was sharing the screenshot of the CDS View:

From what I see from your screenshot, the Properties view is still on the package SABAPDEMOS. Please make sure to put the cursor focus on the CDS view while on the Properties view (i.e. click in to the CDS source).

Yes, if I talk about non-released objects / APIs, I mean objects without a CX contract assigned. Objects without CX contract are not considered stable. If a contract is assigned, then depending on the concrete contract, certain parts of the object are considered stable.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

Yep, true. When I put cursor on the CDS source this tab appears. Thank you for you thourough explanation, this really helps!

It would be very helpful to have descriptive error messages, not like we have now. Now it is an absolute mumbo-jumbo that doesn't give anhy hint for troubleshooting. No contract set ≠ no authorization!

Hi Pavlo,

it is more like "No contract set => No Authorization". The missing authorizations is an immediate consequence of the missing contract.

But I'll take that up for discussion, thanks for suggestion.

Best Regards,

Thomas