Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Uploading PDF or PPt File Getting 403 Error Forbidden

vikash_pathak
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am facing a Strange problem with my SAP UI5 Application, when i am uploading PDF or PPT file its failing with 403 Forbidden error at browser level in quality and production. in development system its working fine.

the request is not even reacing to gateway system that i could analyze the error.

Kindly share your comments.

Thanks

SAPUI5  SAP BTP, ABAP environment 

View Entire Topic
Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you can't see that request in the traces of the gateway system, then the 403 response must be coming from an additional network component between the browser and the gateway, perhaps a firewall or a proxy.

Activate something like HttpWatch in the browser, then you can see the complete response (headers and body), and that might give you more clues about where this 403 response is coming from.

vikash_pathak
Participant
0 Kudos
HI Ulrich_Schmidt,
vikash_pathak
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Ulrich_Schmidt 

Thanks for the suggestion , but i checked this in Trace and there i found that its returning 403 Forbidden error in network section.

but the request is not reaching to Gateway server.

Thanks

Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
So what does the body say, what can you deduce from the headers, and what is "its" IP address? That should tell you, where the problem is.
vikash_pathak
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ulrich_Schmidt,

Every thing is fine i can uplaod all other formats than pdf and ppt, even this problem is occuring only in chrome and edge broswer

but its working in firefox.

unable to identify the cause

when uploading pdf or ppt from odata gatway client or postamn that time also its working fine. 

403.png

Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vikash,

you are not making it easy... Just repeating "unable to identify cause" does not provide information. And without information, we can't identify the error cause either...

The screenshot shows only one single header field, that's not much. So I repeat does the "Response" contain a detailed error or any information that might be helpful? How do the rest of the header fields look like? (That might also reveal valuable information.)

But there are two pieces of information, which might allow a bit of process:

1. The 403 error apparently comes from 54.220.38.125. Is that the IP address of the Gateway system? If not, you need to find out, what it is (perhaps a proxy server) and why it is blocking the request.
  2. The fact that it works in Firefox, but not in Chrome/Edge, is quite interesting. Chrome and Edge are built on the same engine and are tightly integrated with the Windows OS, while Firefox has its own engine and is more "OS-independent" (works pretty much the same on Windows, Linux and Mac). There are a couple of differences between these browsers, that might be worth checking:
    - Chrome/Edge are using the Windows proxy settings, while Firefox has its own settings. Compare the proxy settings in Edge with those in Firefox! Perhaps the proxy that's defined in Windows, is blocking access to the URL of the Gateway system (maybe based on Content-Type?!), while Firefox is not using a proxy and goes directly to the Gateway System.
    - At one customer I once saw a similar symptom as this one: login to a certain HTTP-based system failed with Edge&Chrome, but worked with Firefox. After a lot of head-scratching, we found the reason: that company had rolled out a Windows-wide "security rule", that HTTP logon via Basic Authentication is forbidden, because it is insecure. Edge&Chrome, being tightly integrated with the Windows OS, followed that rule and did not allow access to any system that required Basic Authentication, while Firefox just ignored that rule and logged on anyway...
    So if the interface for PDF&PPT upload requires Basic Authentication, it might be worth it to check for such a Windows-wide security rule.