Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relational Dataset in Datawarehouse Cloud

former_member258682
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am trying to work on Datawarehouse Cloud trial version & I noticed we have 3 kinds of datasets in it:

1. Dimensions
  2. Analytical Dataset
  3. Relational Dataset

I am not able to understand where should we use "Relational Dataset", what is the purpose of having it?

I found this in Documentation:

Relational datasets: A relational dataset is the basic format of a model.

Thanks,

Sarthak Srivastava

View Entire Topic
kpsauer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Sarthak,

basically you require the type dimension if you are modelling master data type objects and might want to use hierarchies. That view can then be used in associations with other views.

The analytical view is required once you want to use the view in a SAP Analytics Cloud Story and you have to define the measure in the view.

For both you also get the option to define Semantic Annotations, which could be useful if you have a key figure with a unit or currency, or an ID column with a description in another column, so you could relate both.

If you do not need all of the above, then just use a relational dataset.

Best regards
KP

former_member258682
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello @klaus-peter.sauer4 ,

Thank you for your reply, But I still did not understand where can we use Relational Dataset?

Is there any specific use case to define where Relational Dataset can be used instead of Analytical & Dimension dataset?

Thanks,

Sarthak Srivastava

kpsauer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sarthak Srivastava

this is simple as you can always use it unless you need features from a dimension or analytical data set.

Thanks
KP

former_member258682
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello @klaus-peter.sauer4,

So is there no difference between Dimensions & Relational Dataset?

I just wanted to why have 2 components in DWC which will work exactly in a similar way.

Thanks,

Sarthak Srivastava

kpsauer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi sarthak.srivastava

as I mentioned before in the first answer, there are differences between dimensions, analytical and relational data sets. So just pick them depending on your needs. If you do not need the features of dimensions, then use another type which fits.

Best regards
KP