cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting ABAP Unit Maximum Risk Level in BTP/Steampunk

holm
Participant

Hi all,

when running unit tests via "Run as unit test with...", we can choose the risk levels to process.
However, in our BTP/ABAP Steampunk system, the maximum allowed level is set to harrmless and therfore only the harmless tests can be executed.

Any ideas how to set the max. level (and max. duration) here? In onprem systems, this was done by SAUNIT_CLIENT_SETUP...

Best regards,
Holm

View Entire Topic
michael_gutfleisch
Active Participant

Hi Holm,
your observation that only HARMLESS tests can be executed in Steampunk systems is correct. And there is currently no possibility to change this. We think about always to allow execution of DANGEROUS and CRITICAL tests as well, but that has not been decided yet.

Would that fit your needs or would you like to have the configuration option as with SAUNIT_CLIENT_SETUP?

Regards,
Michael

holm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

thanks for clarification!
I would prefer always allowing all risk levels, since when needed we can always restrict the scope in the run options itself.
Simplify things! 😉

Kind regards,
Holm

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAUNIT_CLIENT_SETUP is a matter of responsibility. It's done by the administrator/development architect once, while the runtime options are selected by developer (restricted by the limits of setup).

If it doesn't bother SAP development experts to have all risk levels permitted in a BTP system, then I guess it will be fine for SAP clients.

michael_gutfleisch
Active Participant

Hi Sandra
you explanation is absolutely correct. The point is that the risk level classifications are done manually. There is no guarantee that a test with classification HARMLESS is really harmless. Having this in mind brings me to the conclusion that something like SAUNIT_CLIENT_SETUP makes things more complicated but is not able to keep its promise. For this reason we will not introduce such a configuration in the cloud.

Regards,
Michael

holm
Participant

The question is imho, why would we want to restrict tests by risk level at all? If there are so dangerous tests that they must not be executed because they could damage some data (or whatever), they are no reasonable tests 🙂 Dont write such tests. All tests must be executable anytime. Repeatable.

Consequently, the restriction to certain risk level makes no sense. Just drop that feature.

And this leads to the question: what is then the meaning of the risk level of a test? Maybe the impact a failed test w.r.t. to business. If there are red lights, i know where to start - at the critical ones.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

549747a7e4a74d368295cb9cc2b08cc4 I thought about asking this question before, "how do you use risk level in your project / is it needed". That could be very interesting.