cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Story Design Performance - Memory Issues

MannionUK
Explorer

Hi

We have an Story (optimised mode) which has several widgets (I know - not ideal). However, all of these are set to load effectively using 'Data Refresh' settings (i.e., Always Pause or Active Widgets Only). Therefore, View time works fine.

The problem we have is when in Design Mode. In the Lumira days, if you set a data source to 'Load in Script' then it would never run until a script called for it. That includes when in Design Mode. Perfect.

However, in SAC, it appears that everything loads in Design Time regardless of the loading settings which is ultimately causing our stories to frequently crash after just a couple of updates.

I have tried updating the model by switching on 'Optimised for Story Design' but this has only limited improvements.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Ian

View Entire Topic
Alexander_Blasl
Participant
0 Kudos

How much physical memory does your notebook have?

Because SAC Tab in Google Chrome crashes when running into memory limits. Memory limits of a Chrome Tab is ~ 1/8 of physical memory is my experience:

Physical Memory 8GB --> Chrome Tab Crash at 1,1GB
Physical Memory 16GB --> Chrome Tab Crash at 2,2 GB
Physical Memory 32GB --> Chrome Tab Crash at 4,4 GB
Physical Memory 64GB --> Chrome Tab Crash at 8,8 GB

Large stories (Optimized) reach very fast > 2GB per Tab when reloading/F5 (and no restarting Chrome) or jumping around in the story. Old/classic stories or applications don't use that much memory. So you could try use a notebook with more physical memory or disable optimzed mode.

MannionUK
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. Yes, I only have 8GB physical memory and so it is crashing around the 1.1GB limit which (as you say) is reached very quickly in the new optimised view mode.

However, regarding the optimised mode, I'm not aware that you can switch back to the classic mode once you have already made the switch? Also, I wouldn't want to have to put up with all of the missing fixes in that mode.

Alexander_Blasl
Participant
0 Kudos

mannionuk1980 I ment switching back from OVM to no OVM in a classic story/app. If you are already on the new Optimized Story (ODE), of course you can't switch back. But if you converted it months ago, you maybe have an old save of the classic one that you could use.