Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unclear advice due to poor sentence structure

0 Kudos

I am referring to URL:

https://cap.cloud.sap/docs/advanced/hana#context

Please get back to me on the following feedback:

The following sentence is confusing and potentially *very* misleading:
Quote: "When you’re modeling an .hdbview or an .hdbtable, make sure to not use a namespace defined in CDS or make the object known to CDS as follows."

"OR" = "negative AND", so...
I should *not* make the existing object (hdbtable/view) known to CAP CDSe.g. with a facade object?

Or do you perhaps mean the following?
"When you are modeling a native SAP HANA database artifact such as .hdbview or an .hdbtable, either make sure you do not use a namespace defined in CDS or (if you do use a namespace then) make the object known to CDS, as follows:"

Thanks for the clarification (and correction in the documentation).

View Entire Topic
iwona_hahn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'll improve that in the documentation.

Best regards,
Iwona

0 Kudos

You are welcome 🙂

But even the updated version of the text still leaves the following questions, which require clarification:

1. If I *do not* use a name space known to CAP CDS, I *must* make the object known to CAP CDS (e.g. with a facade entity)
  2. If U *do* use a name space know to CAP CDS, I *do not need* to make the object known to CAP CDS?

Thanks!

All the best,

Geoff

0 Kudos

Hi Iwona,

For the record, the following comment was intended as a question to you and the development team:

"When you are modeling a native SAP HANA database artifact such as .hdbview or an .hdbtable, either make sure you do not use a namespace defined in CDS or (if you do use a namespace then) make the object known to CDS,"

The two parts of the sentence address different things: duplicate namespaces, and making underlying HANA objects known to CAP CDS. For this reason, they do not belong together, and the result (in the same sentence) is unclear and confusing.

In addition "or" (which is a negative "and") implies that you should *not* user namespaces that already exist in SAP CDS (correct) and you should *also not* make the HANA object known to SAP CDS, which is incorrect; you should always create a facade CAP CDS file for the SAP HANA object.

I would separate the two sentences to make it absolutely clear that the two steps are important but are not connected.

All the best,

Geoff