cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is BAS so difficult to work with?

RaminS
Participant

We are transitioning from Web IDE to BAS for Fiori programming, and find it unreasonably difficult to work with.

Running, deploying, committing to Git were just a menu option in WebIDE. In BAS, each of these tasks include many terminal commands. Even if you get the commands right, half the time it doesn't do what you want it to do. Why? ....

Why would we want to go backwards in development productivity?... After weeks, none of our developers have figured out how to properly create an Adaptation project in BAS and deploy successfully to Abap system without issues.

And there seems to be no documentation, blogs or answers in the community, unlike the vast amount of questions/answers about Neo environment.

Just wondering, does every development team find it hard to work BAS or is it just us? Is there a hidden community where we can find answers about BAS?

Thanks.

RaminS
Participant

Why would anyone prefer to type in 3 lines of commands manually, when they can instead click on a button?

Do we want to make development harder on purpose?

It's not a matter of getting used to something, it doesn't make sense to go backwards.

ps. and I appreciate not being judged as "windows" user. I've been a developer for 25 years. I just hate to see development environment creating unnecessary complexity for coders. Developers should not be losing focus from development and spending so much time on environment setup. Not in 21st century.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

https://developers.sap.com/

https://developers.sap.com/tutorial-navigator.html

there are so many tutorial about bas.

in my memory, I only use command line to build and deploy. for development, you just write code or use wizard. there is a bit learning curve, but really not much.

RaminS
Participant

The tutorials are not useful, they just explain the basic, happy path scenario, which everyone knows how to do.

We've been getting an error while trying to run and deploy a very simple Adaptation project to on-premise Abap gateway. Still haven't found any material to help us after days of researching, and the error message is totally obscure. This was a simple task in WebIDE.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why not just ask here?

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should add the SAP Business Application Studio Tag to your question to reach the BAS Product Management.

RaminS
Participant

But that's the whole point, we don't want developers to be asking 10 different environment/process questions, the development tool should be taking care of that.

The developers should be focused on coding and building business applications, like we always did in SAP.

In one hand SAP keeps talking about Build and Automation tools that provide low-code/no-code platforms. But on the other hand, developers now have to get private training on linux environment handling processes.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

IT world is complex, you cannot just live in your old abap world, still thinking everything can be simply done by opening sap gui .

RaminS
Participant

Just because the "world is complex" doesn't mean that you should go backwards in time and make it more complex for yourself.

Sure we can all code in Assembly language. No problem, we'll learn it again.

How do you justify to your client that they now have to pay more for development of the same applications with no added benefits to them?... Because the world is complex?

Good luck with that!

YuvalA
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Ramin,

Lets meet and deep dive into the issues, we understand and empathise with your POV.

Thanks, Yuval

RaminS
Participant
$ npm run greet
$ npm -thanks --Yuval
$ npm will --contact-soon when adduser other developers -in--team -prepare meet
$ npm run postgreet
$ npm -bye!

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

View Entire Topic
YuvalA
Advisor
Advisor

Hi,

One of the innovations coming with SAP Business Application Studio environment is being based on standards.

Meaning, SAP developer tools are now basing on Standard IDE (MS Code OSS), with standard tools as basis (command lines and others).

BUT, we also work towards offering a set of productivity tools (basing behind the scenes on the standard tools), allowing both high end technical pro developers to work with CLIs and standard tools, and also, allowing SAP developers to get the highest productivity with minimal technical interaction.

So, CLIs should never be mandatory, it should be an option to get more flexibility, or in case you prefer working with that.

We are not there yet on all areas, but this is the focus of the team, and we are constantly investing it that.

Examples of these are:

- Project Wizard

- Run configuration tool

- Service center

- Task explorer (for deployment tasks)

- Guided development

- Project explorer

- CI/CD monitor

- CF targets

Soon to come:

- Simplified GIT panel

You can also have a look at the demo presented lately to see the overall direction - https://youtu.be/zTcJ9dcY7Io

Would be great to follow up on your feedback , via a feedback session , please email us at SAPBusinessApplicationStudio@sap.com

RaminS
Participant

Thank you Yuval, I appreciate your help and interest in feedback.

I may be wrong of course, but I don't think we're the only team that finds it a challenge to transition. I don't believe a typical SAP developer is (or has any interest to become) a linux hacker, who can spend the whole day trouble-shooting environment and deployment problems for every slightly different scenario. We need our developers to focus on building enterprise-grade applications and user requirements, and give them the tools that hide the complexities from them. I understand it will take time to get there.

We will definitely connect via the feedback email you provided.

Thanks again.