cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAC Dashboard Versioning and Continuous Delivery

Hi dear colleagues,

We are using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) for developing dashboards and responsive stories, which are fed by a live Hana connection. We have some basic versioning requirements and aiming for continuous dashboard delivery to our users. So far, we could not find a proper way of creating different versions (e.g. dev/prod) of the same dashboard and can't develop dashboards simultaneously in the team. Moreover, it is not possible to develop a chart which points to Model A (e.g. a development version) and then afterwards switching it to Model B (Prod version) without destroying the chart content. We are still using a copy-based delivery approach by deleting the old version of the dashboard in the prod/public folder and copying the new version of the dashboard into the prod folder, which is very primitive and makes development within the team even harder. This also does not comply with our continuous delivery goal. What is worse; after deletion of old prod version, all metadata associated with the item (e.g. static links, publishing schedules, shared people etc.) gets lost and we have to apply all those changes to the newly developed dashboard again.

Is there a way of

* creating different story versions as dev & prod and how can we reach our cont. delivery goal?

* versioning underlying data models and switching the model of a chart without destroying the content? (e.g. switching from Dev Model to Stage Model or from Stage Model to Prod)

If versioning and this kind of delivery are supported in SAC, could you please refer me to the related links, docs&tutorials? If it is not supported for responsive stories, then how can we tackle this with a team of 5 developers?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VijayetaSharma
Active Contributor

Hiberk.guelay,

At present versioning is restricted to planning data only. Though story versioning would be a big plus from agile development point of view.

If I am not mistaken there similar enhancement request in influence council. If not I suggest create one. Submit idea- (I guess my may know this already)

Myself and my team can benefit from it for sure. I will definitely vote for it 🙂

Thanks,

Vijayeta

0 Kudos

Hello Vijayeta,

Firstly, thanks for your quick and guiding reply. I and my team just wanted to confirm, if we're missing sth. or a hidden feature. But apparently that's not the case. We will definitely use "Submit Ideas" pane you referred. Have a nice day.

Best,

Berk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mfoeken
Active Contributor

Hi Berk,

Unfortunately, there is no versioning available as you describe on a story level. Furthermore, there is no option to work simultaneously on the same story or model. I would like to refer to the following document with the best practices on lifecycle management:

SAP Analytics Cloud Lifecycle Management Best-Practices

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Kind regards,

Martijn van Foeken | Interdobs

0 Kudos

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for your reply 🙂 We will read the best-practises guide, you provided, thoroughly and will see if there is anything we can take. It's a bit sad that it's not easy or even possible to work simultaneously on the charts & dashboards as a team. We are following an Agile approach and it would be really helpful for us, if we had such life-cycle management. Anyway, thanks again also on behalf of my team.

Best,

Berk