cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAML2 IDP's Signing Certificate Renewal - How to Survive?

LutzR
Active Contributor

Hi everybody,

we are facing the challenge that the signing certificate of our central corporate SAML2 IDP is due to be renewed. It is the first time since we started using SAML2 for our SAP system landscape.

SAML2 Service Provider configuration typically keeps the IDP's signing certificate in it's configuration to be able to verify the IDP's information for authenticity. Now how can we survive the renewal without a fully synchronous configuration change for all (perhaps 40?) service providers at that exact point in time when the IDP's certificate is changed? Unfortunately I am not able to find any information on this process.

This might be helpful: Our IDPs signing certificate is (and will be) signed by our CA.

What we found out so far:

AS ABAP: We are confident that we can solve the issue by importing the RootCA's and the SubCA's certificate into the "SSF SAML2 Service Provider - S" PSE's certificate list. We did this to a system and removed the old IDP's certificate and SAML2 is still working. We take this as an indication that we will survive the IDP change as long as the new IDP certificate is also signed by the same CA.
Is this assumption correct?

AS JAVA: We are guessing that we can solve this in a comparable way as on AS ABAP by importing the RootCA's and SubCA's certificate into the SAML2 Key Storage View somehow. We need to verify.
Is this the correct way? What details do we need to take care of?

SCP Identity Authentication Service (IAS): There is only a place for one unique signing certificate in the Corporate IDP configuration section.
Is there a way to have a failure-free transition with IAS at all? And if yes - then how?

Thank's a lot!

Cheers, Lutz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colt
Active Contributor

Hey Lutz,

normally every IdP and SP should have an option to add primary and secondary signing certificates. If the signature can't be verified with the primary the SP it will reattempt the verification with the secondary signing certificate. More

Using a PKI-signed signature certificate is rare but ok. I believe due to the successful chain validation, it is possible for the SP to not have the IDPs signature certificate imported directly like it is the case when using self-signed certificates. Unfortunately, I can't say this for sure, but it "should" do. That doesn't help you if the SCP IAS (Proxy) does not support secondary signature certificates, but maybe there is a Keystore to upload the CA-chain as well and have the same effect like on other SPs? I hope that helps a bit. Cheers Carsten

LutzR
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

colt, thank you especially for pointing me to note 2462389 - SAML2.0: Renew IdP signing certificate on Service Provider on NetWeaver ABAP without downt...! I wasn't aware of that functionality.

I found the "secondary signing certificate functionality" on AS JAVA too.

So ABAP and JAVA are safe.

IAS is still unclear because there is no secondary signing certificate and nothing like a keystore maintenace UI.

Cheers, Lutz

Answers (0)