cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Express Edition for Apple M1

former_member683296
Participant

Dear Experts,

I have an Apple M1. I wanted to install HANA Express Edition. But i get the following error. i have UTM - OpenSuSe Leap 15.4.

Any Advice?

Error "sse4.2 missing"

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

nicholas_arent
Explorer

I too have this same issue with my M1 Mac. I've tried running it in VMWare which didn't work right off the bat because there is no x86 support for VMWare on the M1 mac. I also tried your method described above and faced the same error. It is critical for my job that this work on the M1 mac. So I really hope there is a solution. It is a growing problem in my team as more of us are replacing our macs and receiving the M1 version.
Please, Hana team, make a M1 version of Hana Express Edition!!

nicholas_arent
Explorer
0 Kudos

My blog was published last night detailing how I got Hana Express running on the M1 Mac. Please see it here:
https://blogs.sap.com/2022/12/08/running-hana-express-on-m1-macs/

fertem ferdtulu

vincentdm

Very useful. Thanks Nicholas!

nicholas_arent
Explorer
0 Kudos

fertem Here is my writeup:

https://github.tools.sap/I820195/HanaOnM1/
former_member683296
Participant
0 Kudos
nicholas.arent

thx for ur share. But we dont have a access on GitHub Enterprise SAP. could you please share on github? thx

former_member683296
Participant
0 Kudos
nicholas.arent

have you got any update for me? thx alot.

tobkle
Explorer
0 Kudos

Would you mind to share your procedure how you've succeeded?

nicholas_arent
Explorer

Hi fertem

I apologize for the delayed response. I've been on vacation. I am trying to get my official blog post published but ran into some issues there. I hope to have it published either later this week or early next week. Then there should not be any access issues.

ferdtulu
Explorer
0 Kudos

nicholas.arent thanks for ur share! It would be very interesting for me. I will keep up to date.

nicholas_arent
Explorer
0 Kudos

fertem I'm about half way through writing up the blog post. I hope to have it completed later this week. I will share the link here when done.

former_member683296
Participant
0 Kudos

thx alot!!

nicholas_arent
Explorer
0 Kudos

So meanwhile I got Hana successfully running in UTM. While it wasn't easy, it does work. I had to jump through a few hoops and do some minor configuring of the base UTM to get it working as the default settings don't work. I'm planning on writing a blog post describing in detail how I did this.

former_member683296
Participant

sound nice.. When would you do this blog?

thx..

dylan-drummond
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven't ever tried to install SAP HANA Express Edition on an M1 Mac, however I can offer a guess as to what the issue the OP has: so the installation fails, and part of the error message says:

"CPU is not supported. Instruction set 'sse4.2' is missing. Checking system requirements failed."

So even if you are using UTM, it seems that the Suse VM that you are running in UTM, is using the arm64 (a.k.a. aarch64) architecture, like in fact the M1 MacBook which is also arm64-based. Then when you try to install HANA, which only runs on x86_64 (a.k.a. amd64) architecture, the installer checks the architecture of the VM and realises that the VM is not an x86_64 machine, and therefore installation fails with the above error message. (sse4.2 only exists for x86_64 CPUs, I believe).

You could try emulating an x86_64 VM using UTM's Emulation capability. Similar to what I did when installing SAP NetWeaver Dev Edition on an M1 Mac: https://blogs.sap.com/2022/03/31/qemu-and-sap-dev-edition-via-utm-for-macbook-m1/ …note that when you run an emulated x86_64 VM on UTM (or on anything else), where the host machine has arm64 architecture, then the processing speed of the emulated VM is going to be slower than a comparable non-emulated arm64 VM. The only ways i know to mitigate this fact of computing life, are to give the emulated VM as many processors and as much memory as the host machine can afford to give (while still performing as a host in an acceptable way).

So that's my guess, as to how the OP could get round the error that is preventing them from installing HANA Express. I don't have any plans to test out this idea, so if it doesn't work, no point in asking me why or whether I have a better idea :=)

About the answer from Nicholas, well it's true that currently VMware Fusion offers no emulation (x86_64) support. Only advice is to try using the UTM Emulator, details on that in my blog referenced in this answer just previously.

Myself I don't work for SAP, so am unable to pressure Nicholas' colleagues with any requests for an arm64 HANA Express, but I think it's a nice idea if SAP wants to investigate it.

Good luck now in your HANA Express quests.